XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My poor XJS has a rotten subframe ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Yikes, how did you end up with rust like that in Australia.

Did you weld new metal in the inner guard as that area is structural. When I did mine I added a few more welds where the upright sits against the inner guard.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rustiness

Originally Posted by DrSebWilkes
Hello everyone. I took the car to a pre-MOT after buying it and the guy gave me the all clear.

What he didn't SOMEHOW see was the gaping big hole in my suspension turret.

https://i.imgur.com/diM8XsV.jpg

So suffice to say my project went from "easy" to very hard in a matter of minutes for taking off the front offside wheel.

Some of you may recall a teenager buying an XJS facelift - that's me.

It's on a driveway at the moment. So the fix is either: A) Sell the car or B) drop the subframe on the drive way and place another one in.

By a 16 year old with no experience. Some say "Oh okay well it's a big job but it is just an unbolt job with lots of jacks" and others say "give up and sell".

How ... hard is it?
Hi, I hope you are either happy with progress you have made or else happy you have sold the car. However, if you still have the car are are worried about rustiness here and there, rest assured I have been there and got through it! It has taken me 20 years and a lot of time, but I worked on it in bursts in between years of storage, and I’m still happy to have the car. I’m now on to details like the internal veneers, carpets and door panels.

My front cross member was just as rusted as yours, and I replaced floors and the fuel tank, sills, had the gearbox and rear differential overhauled, and the rear suspension, patched welding around the shock mounts etc. Now when it’s up in garages the mechanics marvel at the good condition. I still have scuttle rust to think about for later though, although that’s been cured and sealed for now.

In hindsight, I know the more economical route would have been to pay more for a better car to start with, but hey. 🙃

Old 01-02-2022, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

It still might be the best course, provided that you haven't sunk any more money into your car. Of course it all depends on the condition of the rest of the car. If the interior is good, that saves a thousand dollars. best of luck, it's a New Year. Send more pics!