XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

my work in progress :) some help wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my work in progress :) some help wanted!

My XJS has been sitting in the garage now for a few months, still figuring out which direction to go with the design...
I really love the bumperless look (sorry purists). I know most want to keep a classic car in a original look but I want to give my own twist to it. I don't really want a classis car, but a nice GT car to have fun with on a sunny sunday.
I love the look of that car and I've been searching all over the web to find these bumpers, can anyone help me with that? A good supplier for custom bumper parts?

Attached Thumbnails my work in progress :) some help wanted!-no-bumper.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 AM

That is the way I want to go. This car looks really clean, so I would combine the bumpers with that look.
Colour would be BRG with black rims...

Attached Thumbnails my work in progress :) some help wanted!-foto-1-.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-foto-3-.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-foto-2-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

- don't like the no bumpers look
- do like the blacked out headlight surrounds: very sexy - truly sinister with angel eyes if you have the performance to match
- the convertible looks like a piece of mouldy toast on wheels (to me)

Nothing wrong with a car looking like the era it was born in! That's a huge part of the appeal!

Seen some blacked out Listers with (somewhat subtle) fender flares that look really menacing.

At least you guys had the stones to post what you like.

Cheers!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 AM

Hi Flint,

You're right, a car can definitely look like in the era he was born in. I don't want the car to look much younger, I just want it to look like I like it more and taste is a subjective matter. There is nothing wrong with the looks of an XJS, I loved them since I was 6 years old

Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzvis
My XJS has been sitting in the garage now for a few months, still figuring out which direction to go with the design...
I really love the bumperless look (sorry purists). I know most want to keep a classic car in a original look but I want to give my own twist to it. I don't really want a classis car, but a nice GT car to have fun with on a sunny sunday.
I love the look of that car and I've been searching all over the web to find these bumpers, can anyone help me with that? A good supplier for custom bumper parts?
Those look like simple metal loops bolted to the original front bumper mounts.

On my car, I used two sets of chrome bumper blades to create front and rear bumpers. I eliminated the mounts in the rear and removed the rear valance outer skin to get a smoother look.

Attached Thumbnails my work in progress :) some help wanted!-my-xjs.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-jagside2a.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-2011-12-20-14.47.18.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by MustangSix:
al_roethlisberger (07-10-2017), fritzvis (05-03-2013), superchargedtr6 (03-20-2015)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I kinda like the 1st one with the blacked out headlight trim, but something seems a little off. I think if the grill had been widened below where the bumper used to be it would give the car a much more aggressive look. I don't like the 2nd pic of the convertible. It makes the front look like something fell off, but I will admit they did nice craftmanship on the rear.

Still, bumpers do serve a purpose, and the lack of one can turn a harmless bump in a parking lot into a very expensive repair on a car that is difficult to get new panels for.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

That piece of hillbilly turd convertible was on ebay couple of years ago. I like it how they did all kinds of welding and bondo, just to finish it up with the set AutoZone side moldings.

Here is my answer to your topic, my car with side markers removed.

Attached Thumbnails my work in progress :) some help wanted!-99ecfe8s-960.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-cf61568s-960.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

i deleted my front and polished the aluminum rear and modified the gas struts for a flush fit

Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

i can add to the collection;

it must be me,but i like the silver convertible, it would even be more cool to shorten the rear trunk,say 10", that would make the look more sport car look than GT look.

i'm guessin he had a rust bucket thats why its so modded, thats how mine came about.

hey mish i like your lower front spoiler delete, just how i did mine 16yrs ago! better late than never. truth be known i didnt have one to put on anyway!

Attached Thumbnails my work in progress :) some help wanted!-jag-strips-10-22-2012-001.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-jag-strips-10-22-2012-002.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-mazda-jaguar-001.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,668 Posts

This is what it should like, especially in someone elses rear view mirror!

Attached Thumbnails my work in progress :) some help wanted!-lister.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (03-20-2015)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I actually really like that! I'm not real sure what he did? it looks like he removed the Chrome and maybe rolled the fenders?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

It's a Lister, 6.0 litre, 485bhp, manual, up for sale at Silverstone Auctions on may 17th; dig deep if you are interested!
1989 Lister Jaguar XJS 6.0 - Silverstone Auctions

Flint Ironstag (03-20-2015)
Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
This is what it should like, especially in someone elses rear view mirror!
I love the Lister, I would go with that look.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
i can add to the collection;

hey mish i like your lower front spoiler delete, just how i did mine 16yrs ago! better late than never. truth be known i didnt have one to put on anyway!
Delete!? I just realized there was supposed to be one there. My car came from very sad place, populated with gypsy mechanics.
In any case, cooling on my car is extremely good, so I do not think I need to spend $300 for new lip.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

mish, i did try one on for a short while, but one day when out on I95 a friend was driving along side at around 100mph, he started pointing down at the front of my car.

we pulled into a rest area, he said my spoiler was bent downward and backward, they are made of flexible rubber, what a waste of engineering!

i have NO overheat problems either.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

about the Lister car, the only one i ever seen was 1997,Daytona Rolex 24hrs race, there was a Lister Storm v12 race car, it ran fairly well ,but didnt have a chance against the porsche,s and others.

it ran around 10-12hrs and and slowly overheated,loss of coolant, headgaskets probably.

and with multi thousands of dollars/lbs, they still couldnt make over 550hp, 7.L and all.
now for, me the visual look of the lister engine was fantastic, with all its huge plenums and 12 TBs, it looked like it could out run anything there, and the sound of its exhaust, is probably why my XJS has a 5" outlet pipe.

at the same race there were 2 TWR XJSs, i was lucky enough to go for a shotgun ride with(press media guys), car was OK they were not very quick to be outstanding, in the performance arena, much to heavy,cumbersome, not like quick&nimble, fast on open hi-way,straight line, i guess a true GT cruiser!

i guess i should be happy to just be there in real life, and see and hear-watch race those type of cars.

the new Rolex cars(DP) just dont excite,to many restrictions, you know the old, YA cant do this & YA cant do that crap.

the absolute ultimate race car excitement for me,was when they allowed some true Can-AM big chevys to run, they were so fast the administration shut them down,(insurance regulations)over 255mph on the back straight, and the noise, only a true motorhead would appreciate.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

"at the same race there were 2 TWR XJSs, i was lucky enough to go for a shotgun ride with(press media guys), car was OK they were not very quick to be outstanding, in the performance arena, much to heavy,cumbersome, not like quick&nimble, fast on open hi-way,straight line, i guess a true GT cruiser!"

How come they weren't fast? have you seen Tom Walkinshaw's pole lap at Bathurst?
It doesn't look the slightest bit cumbersome to me!

tokyodon (03-20-2015)
Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

the cars at Daytona were street TWR Xjs, not the race cars,they had all the plush options A/C, stereo,multi speakers and amps, sound pruffing, spare tyres,etc.

they did have 6.5L engines with remap ECU, freeflow exhaust, and other small mods.
like brake & suspension mods, bigger wheels and tyres.

they were heavy, is what my impression was.

and that old bathurst race was at the hite of TWR cars, didnt win much after that, went into LMP ,GTP, racing. but never the less a good show for XJS.

i have a Video of Grp44 Xjs doing some impressive track sliding and braking stuff.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Bathurst was an ideal track for the XJS. Back then, Conrod straight was straight all the way to the end and Bathurst is a track where straight line speed is very useful. The BMW's etc were faster through the corners but the XJS had so much more top end it didn't matter.
As for removing the rubber bumpers and upsetting the purists...well, the purists are just snobs.
The XJS was NOT designed with huge rubber VOLVO bumpers, they only came along in the last few months of pre production work when the US 5mph laws were introduces, ruining the looks of beautiful front and rear ends. I personally think the huge, bulbous early rubber bumpers are THE major reason the early cars didn't sell well. Sales got much better once the more slender (but still ugly) later rubber bumpers came along.
If you don't believe me, why did Jaguar go to all the effort of stamping the lower front guards (fenders) to take the S2 sedan combination turn/park lights?
Or, why do these photos exist:
xj27story_14.jpg
xj27story_13.jpg

Attached Thumbnails my work in progress :) some help wanted!-xj27story_14.jpg   my work in progress :) some help wanted!-xj27story_13.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Typhoon:
Flint Ironstag (03-20-2015), fritzvis (05-06-2013), tokyodon (03-20-2015)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 AM

Hi Typhoon,

I love the look of these bumpers on the XJS, although I find the width and the angles to wide on the front corners... I would have liked them even a bit more slimmer.

weird picture with the 2 different headlights I like the 2 lights more than the square one. Mine has the square lights but since I bought the car in England and brought it to Belgium I will have th change them anyway, so I will install the dual headlights.

Last edited by fritzvis; 05-06-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply: my work in progress :) some help wanted!