XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New here

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here

I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I've been looking on it for quite some time, as I've been in the market for an 80s Jag for a couple of yrs. I finally took the plunge and bought an 88 XJS Hess & Eisenhardt with a rebuilt V12 and transmission this past weekend and I'm excited. I'm gonna be on here asking questions, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I look forward to learning everything I can from everyone I can, and, thank you in advance.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Hey, welcome aboard. It takes a village to run an XJS. Many here will be glad to help.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 PM

LOL I hope so. It's in excellent condition mechanically, from what me and a couple of automotive minded friends (one of whom owned an 86 XJS and currently has a 70 XKE) can tell, but I'm gonna need to replace the top, the driver's seat, and the ski slope, and trying to figure out where to get the parts to replace them all myself

Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Figured I'd post some pics. I didn't take as many as I should've, but gonna be picking it up this weekend, if everything goes right

1st pic

2nd pic

3rd pic

Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome & nice pics!
I'm planning louvers for my bonnet this winter as well (really helps)
Cheers
Peter

Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Wow, nice engine bay, but your bonnet (hood) looks a bit faded, and the hood (convertible top) has seen better days.

Convertible tops (called the hood in the UK - to confuse us all !), are quite expensive as they have a proper internal headlining and noise insulation on the XJS; its not a kid's sports car ! Fitting one will be a challenge, I would think, unless you know a friendly car trimmer.

The rest of your "things to fix" look reasonably straightforward, although leather seat covers can be expensive, and you probably also need the foam rubber cushion and the spring diaphram underneath that.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM

yeah, I know I'm gonna need to foam rubber, not sure about the springs. The top doesn't have a headliner, so, what I'm seeing at a few places online is around $425 or so.The hood, well it looks like the PO might've spray painted it, so I know I'm gonna have to (at the least) get that painted. But, I'm getting the original hood as well as all the part that were replaced when the engine was rebuilt, and the original exhaust (the exhaust was replaced with a custom 2 1/" exhaust system. I've been looking for possibly just buying a driver's seat used and if it's a different color, just re-dying it

Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

have to say... If I ever have to take those manifolds off they're getting chromed! looks like a nice car!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Ok, I picked my new baby up yesterday, drove her back from Northern Va , about an hour and a half. About an hour of that was on the interstate and she was amazing!!!!! I drove about half of the way, and my friend and fellow Jag owner drove the other half. Because neither one of us had really driven her before, we didn't push her like we wanted to, only getting up to around 90 or so. But she never hiccuped or had any problems. I found out that the speedometer, fuel, and temp gauges aren't working, so I'm gonna need to check them. When the PO and his son rebuilt the transmission, I'm betting that they added a shift kit, because it feels like the shift points have been re-mapped. And I'm also betting that they added hotter cams and shafts, at least my friend said it was faster than the 86 XJS that he ended up selling. But, I'm excited. Now, I just gotta find seats, wood, a top, and fix the few small things. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. I'm in LOVE!!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool car! You said you picked it up from northern va? I'm about 1 1/2 from norva as well. I just completed my interior (seats, headliner, sunroof, visors, side post trim), took about six weeks but it was a little at a time. Cost of it was just a few bucks over $400. In materials. The under foam didn't need replacing up I did add 3/4" med density foam to give a little plushy feel. I wasn't able to locate anyone that was willing to do the car for under $1,500. And that was only for the seats. As soon as I can add photos I will.

Congrats on a fine looking v12! Love that sound

Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM

LOL see, that's what I'm running into. I found it up in Nokesville (Pr. William county). I've got a friend of mine who wants to do the work with me, whatever it needs done, interior, exterior and mechanical. I live just outside of Richmond, so the drive on the interstate was only about an hr, but the PO was waaaaayyyy back in the middle of nowhere, so we had about 30 mins of backroad driving. My new cat handled it perfectly.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Years ago I ran into a member of the Richmond chapter of a jaguar group, he told me that they have a few events a year and all jags were welcome. I never looked into any groups but the few days I've been on here, I can see the positive aspects of seeing other jags first hand.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Default Pics

I just finished taking a buncha pics, hopefully, y'all can see what I'm gonna need to do to get her in tip-top shape. But, you can see the canvas I've got to work with.
http://picasaweb.google.com/10411691...Kftw_nanurNMw#

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Well, I wanted to actually post some images for eveyone to check out. I also wanted to ask a couple questions. So.....I'm torn between the vinyl top and the canvas top. The stock top, or at least mine, is vinyl. Other than looks, are there any advantages to canvas? And also, I'm considering pulling all of the wood veneer, and rather than purchase a veneer set, actually making the wood trim usually veneer that I purchase and cut to fit. Has anyone done this, is it feasible, is it worth the extra effort to gert a truly custom woodgrain interior using a different wood other than stock?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM

and here she is>>>>

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

On a previous xjs project car, I was a able to pull the wood, sand the old veneer of and use the horribly messy goop call enviro tec pour on. You pour it on the wood and it lays and flows off the sides. Then you use a hairdryer to take care of the air bubbles. It was a pain but it saved me about 300 bucks! Anyway I sold it and regretted it so I'm on xjs 2.0, a 1987 coupe which is in much, much better shape than the previous one .

Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Well, what I'm thinking is removing all of the old wood, cutting new wood veneer in something like an ambrosia maple or birch veneer. I can get the veneer sheets easily enough and figure I can do the work myself, or rather with one of my friends. It'll be a completely new wood finish than any other XJS that i know of