XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New owner of 89 V12 XJS Convertible needs advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner of 89 V12 XJS Convertible needs advice...

Hi all;

A great day has arrived and I'm the proud new owner of a white 89 XJS convertible with blue top, 34K miles with color coded lattice rims. I have a great mechanic in Kevin from RVC Auto in Rockville Center NY and am looking forward to getting the vehicle back into tip top shape. The car is quite driveable but the AC needs work.

I am looking for advice on where to obtain a tonneau cover for when the top is down. I want a quality cover, preferably OEM material. Also I was wondering if I can get a quality, correct battery from Amazon, or just pick one up here in Nassau County LI--it currently has a substandard battery not meant for this car. Furthermore, the headliner needs replacing and I wasn't sure if the upholsterer will try to get me to purchase a new top (whulich is in good shape), or should I make sure that the headliner is replaced and leave the original top. Also, if anyone has had experiences with getting a new ski slope center console with cup holders I would appreciate any advice there. I can do light maintenance but nothing too technical. I already ordered struts for the boot and bonnet. They were shot. Final issue is the passenger quarter window that stopped going up or down. It's stuck down at this time. Should I pick.up a new motor and try the repair or let my mechanic handle it.

Thanks all and God bless.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

gary,

Congrats on the purchase of the car! A few thoughts:

Jaguar never made tonneau covers for the XJS. The only thing they made were covers which cover just the hood when folded. They are quite substantial affairs with padding etc. They turn up on ebay quite frequently (even NOS ones). Be careful to get the right one. There is a difference between ones for 2 seater convertibles and ones for 2+2 convertibles. The ones for 2 seater convertibles are made of a canvas-type material (similar to the hood material).

The headlining needs to be stitched in. So have a good examination of the hood first, plus the straps and cable, in case any of them need replacing as it will then be easier to do all at the same time.

Again, ebay is a good source for the suppliers of ski slopes with metal cup holders. Be aware that they can't hold large cups, I believe.

As regards your window problem. The switches are prone to gumming up. Don't condemn the motor until you've absolutely verified that you're getting power right up to the window motor.

Enjoy the car!

Paul

Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM

Thank you Paul. I meant convertible top cover. I didn't know what a Tonneau cover was actually lol. I Appreciate all the help.

If anyone has any specific vendors, instructional information I would be indebted.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi I Used this Company and the quality seems OK and the Price was OK eBay item number:110898400372
Have a chat with them also feed back was good

The following users liked this post:
garyofnyc (07-08-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

If you are talking about a "Boot Cover", I recently bought mine from Auto Tops Direct. Check out this page.

AutoTopsDirect | Convertible Tops | Convertible Top Headliners | Convertible Top Parts

The snaps need to be installed. I took mine to a local auto upholstery shop and for $20 they put the snaps in for me.

I'm quite pleased with the way it looks.

Bill

P.S. I spend a lot of time in RVC, I'll keep an eye out for your car.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:16 AM
Default Boot cover..not tonneau.

Many thanks Bill. This might be an option for me. I appreciate the information. The original boot cover is long gone.

First up is installing some struts for the trunk and hood. The previous owner kept two long dowels in the trunk to hold them opened when needed lol.