XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New owner research makes me wonder WHY!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New owner research makes me wonder WHY!

So I have this 85 XJS HE in my garage that blew a hose on me on my way home after picking up the car. That's ok I get it that British cars are let's say, hmmm problematic? I have owned Range Rivers Andrews spent plenty of time repairing them. I also traded an American car oldsmobile Aurora and a bit of cash for this very nice JAG and I really had little money in the olds and had no intention of keeping it so I couldn't resist.

Now I have spent a couple of days becoming familiar with the xjs cars and it seems they are just riddled with endless issues.

Will this car ever really be reliable?

Please reassure me that once I get the car sorted out it will be at least moderately reliable?

The other issue I have is this. I have worked on hundreds of cars and the English cars just seem to be the most difficult to repairs with almost no thought given to the idea that someone may have to remove this part someday! Someday seems to come sooner than later with the English LOL!

Longest post I have ever done in many years, venting dells good!!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought my XJS almost right out of college.

A coolant hose blew like yours right off the bat. Fortunately I was pulling into a shop to have them do a compression check! I also needed a new radiator and the distributor was seized. The Brake lines came shortly after that. Fog lamps weren't working so I wired up some cheapo aftermarket ones (still working fine) and added a chime to remind me when I left the headlights on.

But that was about it and it was my daily driver for a good 2-3 years.

Then it sat for the next 5 years or so. Been an occasional driver for me the last three years until a guy ran a stoplight and totaled my Toyota. I decided I'd rather pocket the insurance money and put the effort into making the XJS my daily driver again. Well I didn't pocket all the insurance money. Reconditioning the leather and woodwork, new rear window (old one was rotten at the seams), used set of rims, and a new paint job took several grand. But she looks great and is an absolute pleasure to drive.

If you're comfortable working on Range Rovers you'll be fine with the XJS. Engine is relatively bullet proof. Coolant, electrical, and climate control systems are not.

It's funny how a lot of things didn't bother me when I was 23 that are a big deal to me now (like working a/c!). But that's pretty much all sorted out over the last month, and the car is my daily driver once again... It's amazing how many people ask me about the car when they are pulled up adjacent at the stoplight!

Cheers,

Will

Last edited by macboots; 08-01-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
So I have this 85 XJS HE in my garage that blew a hose on me on my way home after picking up the car. That's ok I get it that British cars are let's say, hmmm problematic? I have owned Range Rivers Andrews spent plenty of time repairing them. I also traded an American car oldsmobile Aurora and a bit of cash for this very nice JAG and I really had little money in the olds and had no intention of keeping it so I couldn't resist.

Now I have spent a couple of days becoming familiar with the xjs cars and it seems they are just riddled with endless issues.

Please reassure me that once I get the car sorted out it will be at least moderately reliable?

The other issue I have is this. I have worked on hundreds of cars and the English cars just seem to be the most difficult to repairs with almost no thought given to the idea that someone may have to remove this part someday! Someday seems to come sooner than later with the English LOL!

Congratulations on your purchase. My 95 XJS is a AJ16 straight 6, but my E type is a 12 and I would say both are equally reliable. Neither one is my d.d but if it's a sunny, rain free month, either car will be used daily 30 days consecutively. With the v12 the trick is going to be to get it sorted and then be both pro-active and involved. If you are a hands on type of guy, and it sounds like you are, with the help of this and the other Jaguar forum, you will be able to get and keep your Jaguar in top shape. Lots of experienced members.

Good luck

Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by macboots
It's funny how a lot of things didn't bother me when I was 23 that are a big deal to me now (like working a/c!). But that's pretty much all sorted out over the last month, and the car is my daily driver once again... It's amazing how many people ask me about the car when they are pulled up adjacent at the stoplight!

Cheers,

Will
@ Will

Oh I feel you with the A/C. When I was in my teens and early 20's before my grandfather gave me his cars, I would borrow them and neither the E type or the XJS had properly working A/C's and I couldn't have cared less, even in the 105 degree Houston weather. I just turned 30 this year and I inherited the cars 3 years ago, and the A/C was at the very top of the restoration list for both vehicles. Can't be getting to work all sweaty in the morning!.......on a side note, oddly enough it was the A/C on the 74 E that was easy, cheap and straight forward to get freezing in 105 degree weather. The 95 XJS on the other hand was a nightmare to get right.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Firstly welcome to the fold. Secondly you typed this on a tablet with predictive type didn't you...

The XJS V12 can be a reliable drive I know I have driven my car across Australia about 6000km west to east with only a blown radiator hose. And NO sore butt these things are remarkably comfortable especially on a long trip, much more than my Merc AMG.

If you get everything sorted and keep the maintenance up you will have a very comfortable reliable daily driver.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Received 10,288 Likes on 6,809 Posts

In answer to your heading, "WHY NOT, YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD", and to have travelled through this short life without the SHEER joy of a V12 is such a waste.

I agree with Warren.

I got our XJ-S ('85 Coupe), V12 of course, in 1996. It was 11 years old and "not too bad", but lets be honest, what mechanic out there really wants to mess with a V12 properly, so short cut follows short cut, you know the rest. The dealers here want NOTHING to do with any Jag that is more than 5 years old, sad but true.

I did all the "catch up", PRIOR to the warm and fuzzy of driving the new toy. I allowed a month to do it ALL, so the S2 Daimler continued in service, although technically "sold".

Basically:
Radiator out, new core.
ALL new hoses, and I mean ALL.
New water pump, so easy with the radiator out.
New fuel hoses, ALL OF THEM, even the ones under the car, and in the boot.
New fuel pump/filter.
Rewired a lot of the crappy stuff out of the engine bay. COMPLETE rewire of the engine bay took place in 2000.
Twin thermo fans fitted.
Sanden compact a/c compressor fitted, and R134a gas used.
All new belts.
New power steer hoses.
Brake rotors/pads.
Master cylinder replaced.
Brake fluid flushed.
Transmission serviced, synthetic fluid used.
Engine oil/filter changed, synthetic again.

The rest a dim memories now.

Still got the car, it is hers, and used sometimes.

I averaged 2000kms per week in it, to and from work until I retired in 2003.

We have travelled the coast road of Australia twice in it, about 15000kms each time, and NEVER EVER been let down in it, and I mean NEVER.

To do any of that "as purchased" would nave been just dumb in my opinion.

The latest jaunt in it was 600kms, last week, at the drop of a hat for lunch in a country pub we like a lot, and the coin fell in favour of the V12 over the X300, life's good. NO issues with it, still today.

As others have said, and I agree 100%.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS WITH A V12, SO DONT EVEN GO THERE, YOU WILL DRIVE YOURSELF NUTS.

Do it once, do it properly, do not revisit that area ever again.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 08-01-2012 at 05:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-29-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Once I got mine sorted out it became my daily driver. The only time I don't drive it is in a pouring rain because the convertible top leaks. I trust it enough to take 100+ mile trips with it.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Indeed they are and for a multitude of reasons.

First, the vast majority haven't seen proper repair and servicing for many years. Most people (and most repairs shops) simply are not familiar enough with old Jags to do it. And unless you're a good DIYer, it's simply too expensive for most people to handle.

Second, there are indeed some design weaknesses and quirks that add to the trouble.

Third, it's 27 years old for goodness sakes ! :-)

If you truly sort out all the repairs and services that previous owners have neglected you can have a reliable Jag. That is, one you can depend on to take you to your destination and bring you back under it's own power :-).

I reckon 95% of the problems you're likely facing are documented and the fixes are known. You can pick away bit by bit or tackle 'em all at once. If you want a list of the most common repairs and fixes we can give it to you.

That said these are never have been and never will be "drive it and forget it" cars. But with everything sorted out you should have long periods where only minor tinkering and routine service is needed.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I should add that I owned an XJS V12 for a few years. Excluding cosmetics ($$$$) I think I spent about $2000 repairs the first year and then $1000 the next year. Then for the next 2-3 years maybe $300/year. I can't quite remember exactly but the point is there was a lot of work needed at first but once that was done not much was needed afterwards.

I did lots of travelling at the time and used the XJS mostly as my "highway" car. It was nothing to knock off 600-800 miles in a weekend. Great car for long trips....felt really good on the highway.

I've been driving Jags for 15 years an have been towed home only *once*....and in that case the problem was MY fault. I left a connector for the ignition partially un-seated. And it happened on a big Jaguar tour. Gah ! How humiliating :-)

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 08-01-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: A large variety of English language sins and mistakes
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

"Do it once, do it properly, do not revisit that area ever again."

Bingo! Grant, you nailed it; the best advice to give any new XJS owner.

I rarely see an XJS anymore, but this morning I did. A signal red post '86 coupe in the fast lane going north on the Veterans Expressway coming out of Tampa this morning. I've see this car in the past, female driven and she (!) was passing everyone.

Last edited by Roger95; 08-01-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
Firstly welcome to the fold. Secondly you typed this on a tablet with predictive type didn't you...

The XJS V12 can be a reliable drive I know I have driven my car across Australia about 6000km west to east with only a blown radiator hose. And NO sore butt these things are remarkably comfortable especially on a long trip, much more than my Merc AMG.

If you get everything sorted and keep the maintenance up you will have a very comfortable reliable daily driver.

Well I should say that I also have an AMG CLK55 that I can drive and this car doesn't need to be used daily, I just want it to be in the ready.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Basically:
Radiator out, new core.
New fuel pump/filter.
Rewired a lot of the crappy stuff out of the engine bay. COMPLETE rewire of the engine bay took place in 2000.
Twin thermo fans fitted.
All new belts.
New power steer hoses.
Brake rotors/pads.
Brake fluid flushed.

This stuff I can handle, and I loved the car immediately once I drove it. Just wish I could still drive it. Trans issues are in another thread, but once this is resolved I will move on to the list above...

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

the fact that the cars are british isnt the issue. Cars built by BL are notoriously bad.

and i absolutely disagree with your last statement. My V12 is so easy to work on. i dont have an issue getting a wrench on anything (except maybe the bellhouse bolts)

Chevy and Ford are the worst about idiot engineering.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Necessary Maintenance

As a still-newbie owner of an '89 XJS convertible, I'm learning SO much from this forum, and the one thing I must remind myself regarding everyone's prospective big dollar spending, is the fact these are OLD cars, and need to be kept up, same as a house needs regular maintenance, either cosmetic or functional, our cars are the same. -I was fortunate to be handed a file folder a half inch thick of all maintenance and service done to my pretty kitty, but I hope to be replacing the fuel lines and cooling hoses in the near future. Even my suspension needs a little re-furb, being 23 years old.
A regular driver- Hells yeah, back & forth to work couple times per week, and certainly weekend trips with Mumsie. I've owned the car 3 months now, and have loved putting nearly 5000 kms on it so far.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

For "idiot engineering" try a front wheel drive northstar Cadillac. Geeziz them things are a friggin' nightmare!

BTW my Junior is planning on dumping his FWD Cadillac and replacing it with a I6 Aston DB7. I always knew he was a classy young man...

Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
In answer to your heading, "WHY NOT, YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD", and to have travelled through this short life without the SHEER joy of a V12 is such a waste.

I agree with Warren.

I got our XJ-S ('85 Coupe), V12 of course, in 1996. It was 11 years old and "not too bad", but lets be honest, what mechanic out there really wants to mess with a V12 properly, so short cut follows short cut, you know the rest. The dealers here want NOTHING to do with any Jag that is more than 5 years old, sad but true.

I did all the "catch up", PRIOR to the warm and fuzzy of driving the new toy. I allowed a month to do it ALL, so the S2 Daimler continued in service, although technically "sold".

Basically:
Radiator out, new core.
New fuel pump/filter.
Twin thermo fans fitted.
All new belts.
New power steer hoses.
Brake rotors/pads.
Brake fluid flushed.

The rest a dim memories now.

Still got the car, it is hers, and used sometimes.

I averaged 2000kms per week in it, to and from work until I retired in 2003.

We have travelled the coast road of Australia twice in it, about 15000kms each time, and NEVER EVER been let down in it, and I mean NEVER.

To do any of that "as purchased" would nave been just dumb in my opinion.

The latest jaunt in it was 600kms, last week, at the drop of a hat for lunch in a country pub we like a lot, and the coin fell in favour of the V12 over the X300, life's good. NO issues with it, still today.

As others have said, and I agree 100%.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS WITH A V12, SO DONT EVEN GO THERE, YOU WILL DRIVE YOURSELF NUTS.

Do it once, do it properly, do not revisit that area ever again.
Originally Posted by M90power
the fact that the cars are british isnt the issue. Cars built by BL are notoriously bad.

and i absolutely disagree with your last statement. My V12 is so easy to work on. i dont have an issue getting a wrench on anything (except maybe the bellhouse bolts)

Chevy and Ford are the worst about idiot engineering.

Hmm, how about the P.S rack or the trans pan where the exhaust is in the way and you have to remove a crazy spring loaded trans mount to get the pan off which is what I am doing currently. The bell housing bolts may be next if I cant get the trans going.
Good to know that the engine is workable though.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Oh I forgot to add pics of the car. I need to some better ones when I get it out of the garage....

Attached Thumbnails New owner research makes me wonder WHY!-jag4.jpg   New owner research makes me wonder WHY!-jag5.jpg   New owner research makes me wonder WHY!-jag6.jpg  
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
buddyluv (08-30-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking Jag!
Welcome.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Even after a V12 engine fire, she still purrs. It also warned me at least twice something was wrong prior.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Why? Every time you park that beauty and walk away, then feel compelled to turn around and let your gaze linger on it a moment... you'll remember why

Quick Reply: New owner research makes me wonder WHY!