XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New XJS convertible owner dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New XJS convertible owner dumb questions

Hello! A 1990 XJS convertible now calls my driveway home! Sadly, that's driveway, not garage at the moment, so I need to buy a cover. Any suggestions?

Next, we did a prepurchase check up with a British Imports specialty mechanic. Got lots of good info, and some stuff to have fixed ASAP (high idle, semi-working speedometer and gauges, possible rear quarter window issue) and a long list of things that may become issues. My husband and I don't do our own mechanical work (we do gas and check & fill fluids & know our limits) so I'd love input on whether or not the mechanic is being alarmist.

Then, I need to replace the top fabric. I understand from the upholstery shop I can buy a top online and they will install it - anyone have a recommended source?

I can paste in the mechanic's list if that helps - and major thanks to everyone in advance! (If it helps, I'm in Bel Air, Maryland)

Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Some answers

I'm currently posting a tread about my recent convertible top replacement with pics and I've been through some of your problems. Your high idle may be a jammed open auxilliary air valve. This valve closes when warm and thusly lowers the idle. I tried to unjam mine to find an inner part that's unfixable. Your best bet is to first look on ebay for a good used one, $100 give or take and some times $50 more. They want $500 for a new one, so the effort to find a good used one makes sense as I did. Two bolts, two hoses and it's done. Your gas sending unit (in the tank) might need replacing to fix the gas guage, but the rpm guage and the speedometer are directly dependant upon the ground wires to the right of the battery attached to the chassi. There are three. Clean them all while you're there. This fixed my rpm and speedo. The dash cluster has wire connections that leave a lot to be desired and often loose connection. Remove the cluster, clean all the copper contacts with fine steel wool and replace, but before you screw everthing back check that everything works first, as I found that I still had to wiggle the connections to get 100% of everything to work! Ebay has convertible tops in 2 grades hartz and oem german. For $100 more go with the german as it's the same material as original and worth the money. They also sell headliners on ebay at $150 you'll find it extremely hard to find the original material and if you do it'll cost you a mint. Two colors biege and tan and not exact but close enough. Mine looks very good. If you are more specific with any problems you have I'm quite sure I or any number of xjs guys will try to answer your questions.The labor to install your top will cost you a lot. they are not easy to do and time consuming, that's why I did mine myself, not impossible but you have to do the whole job in one shot or you'll forget something. There are quite a few processes involved. I personally will be glad to try to answer any questions you have that go unanswered. Bud

Last edited by buddyluv; 03-20-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: missed sentence
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
I can paste in the mechanic's list if that helps - and major thanks to everyone in advance! (If it helps, I'm in Bel Air, Maryland)
Post the list. There will be several things it is a good idea to fix pre-emptively if those things have not been done in the last few years, or regularly, by the previous owner. The list will also be a good way of evaluating your mechanic's knowledge of the XJS.

Not everyone agrees with me, but in my experience, if you wish to keep the car and also ensure it is reliable, there are things you should do. These cars are marvellous, and well looked after are reliable, but need any past neglect rectified, and certain things regularly checked.

Greg

Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks so much! I'll post the list on a new thread. - Gina