XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Newbie and value opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie and value opinions?

Ok, I understand that a car is worth what someone will pay for it... but I could use some advice & opinions here. A good friend of mine wants to sell his 88 XJS V12 H&E vert. It has been sitting for 5 years , mostly outside . It is a southern car, so is very clean except for some rust that just started coming through behind the doors. (see last pic). It has 58K, and seems to run OK after I replaced a fuel pump and master relay. It needs a new top, and all of the routine maintenance it should have had (tune up, fluids, fuel lines, brakes, etc).

Name:  IMG_0123.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  251.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0125.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  259.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0119.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  243.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0122.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  132.6 KB

He wants to sell it, and I am intersted, but want to make sure I offer fair market value. If we can't work something out, then I want to be able to hlep him sell it for a fair price?

After lurking here and on Jaglovers for the last few months I've really become interested in this. I have always likes the XJs models, and I do all the work myself. It seems to share a lot of quirky traits with my favorite car, my VW vanagon . They both are prone to engine fires, have an unfair reputation for being unreliable, and are uncredibly fun to drive.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Matt

Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 AM

In my opinion, it's worth about 3500 if it runs well. The top and rust are going to be expensive to repair / replace.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I am sorry to have to say it, but I would avoid this car.

Question - why does it have chrome trims on the wheel arches ?
Answer - because a previous owner wanted to hide all the rust bubbling out at the edges of the wheel arches.

The rust creeping out at the rear wing seam behind the doors says it all. This car looks to be rotten with rust. It also needs a new top and they are very expensive. Mechanically, it will probably be OK, as the V12s are very strong. Rear suspension radius arms will probably need replacing, but are not expensive. Other suspension parts are cheap and easily replaced if you have the time and tools. Problem is that the rear radius arms secure at the bottom rear of the sills (US=rocker panel), and this is where the rust can completely surround and weaken this key location. So an inspection for rust needs to be very thorough before parting with any hard-earned cash

The XJS cars were made in very small quantities and rust protection was never a strong point. The mileage is claimed to be 58k. Is there any proof of this because the car looks to have done a whole lot more to get as rusty as it is. These cars are easily 'clocked' by people who want to sell 'time machines' !

On the other hand if you just want a "banger" to play around with, then fair enough, go ahead, but $3500 seems an awful lot for a 22 year old car. Does the top go up and down, or are you not going to drop the top at all ? $2000 absolute max, I would say.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 AM

It really is a solid car. It was bought new in town here, and they do not salt the roads or anything like that that would cause extreme rust. I have been under it, checked all the floors, rockers etc. and they are solid. I think the rust at the seam is from the inside out, due to the leaky top, but I can't be sure. There is no rust anywhere else that would typical for a crusty car.

So I guess the wheel arch covers are not factory? I don't know much about these cars yet?

The guy who owns it got it with 40K over 10 years ago from a family member who bought it new, so I know the milage is accurate. However as I stated originally, outdoor storage and lack of some needed maintenance make the overall condition a little rough for a 58k car.

Thanks again for the replies.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 AM

Also, the top does seem to work although the linkage needs lubrication. Drivers window doesn't work, all other windows work. Don't know if the AC works, and the voltage gauge doesn't seem to work.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

If it drives OK and you are confident about using a MIG welder, then go for it !! Body panels etc can be obtained, but might have to come from here in the UK, unless there is a US importer somewhere. A new top (we call them hoods here in the UK), will be expensive, but not impossible if you c an find the right people. It is expensive because it is fully lined and insulated. These were not sports cars with flimsy tops ! The car is normally just as quiet as a fixed head. Other thing to remember is the body is not as rigid as the fixed head; there will be some scuttle shake. Jaguar produced a funny tube arrangement on the late cars to try to cure this, but I don't know the details.

Oh, and note that the front suspension ball joints were improved on the saloons from 1987 on and are retro-fit; they also last forever unlike the old ones.

Wish you well............

Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 AM

I spoke with the owner the other day and told him my best guess at market value is 2-3K. Thats about where I was, and you guys affirmed that. I think a "good deal" would be $1500, and much over 3K is probably too much without more work being done. We'll see if I end up owning it or not, but either way it will be for sale soon.

It's too bad that the seams behind the doors started rusting, otherwise this is a very clean car.

I've seen tops on Ebay for around $500. I assume thats only the outer skin? Is it just very labor intensive or am I missing something else?

The XJS has always been my favorite Jag. I really didn't want to get attached to this one, but hanging out on a couple XJS enthusiasts sites was not a good idea I would love to drive this one around this summer ...

Thanks again

Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

"There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Jag." :-)

Unless you are specifically looking for a project car I'd suggest setting your sights...and price range...a bit higher.

If you are a decent DIY mechnaic most mechanical repairs are quite doable on these car and usually not too expensive. However, rust repair, paint, interior trim, convertible tops....that sort of stuff....can run into serious money, more than it would cost to buy a really nice XJS to begin with.

Cheers
DD