XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

No power steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No power steering

They guys i need some help here, i have looked thru the other treads yet about this problem but here it is. I replaced the p/s pump due to the front seal leaking and now i have no p/s at all, thought it was a defective pump but even he second new pump is doing the same thing. Ive used the correct fluid and its full but theres no flow in the resivior and ive got absolutely no p/s assistance at all. Any suggestions or help would be great thanks!!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Umm, V12 or 6cylinder???.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 AM

Grant Francis- its a 6cyl

Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 AM

OK, no belt to think about.

Did the plastic adaptor get fitted correctly, sometimes they can be a pain. I use a dob of RTV to hold it on 1 of the drive dogs, so it dont fall out.

If all that is OK, then it only points to the pump, supply hose from the cannister, banjo bolt, hoses.

Try "cracking" the fitting/joint of the hose from the cannister to the pump, and you should have fluid escaping.

Then crack the banjo, and start the engine and note flow out of the loose connection (an assistant here to shut it down REAL QUICK will be handy).

If all above are OK, then the supply to the pump, and the pump are OK, so the HP line TO the rack may be blocked, or the return line from the rack to the cannister is kinked/blocked.

Take the weight off the front wheels and with the engine running turn the wheels lock to lock, it just may have a huge air lock in the system and with the weight ON the wheels it just will not bleed it out????.

Systematic following all the lines is the only real way of finding the issue.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 AM

Just had another thought.

When these pumps are rebuilt, the shop "usually" fit plugs/caps/whatever to the 2 open holes, now did they get removed???.

I am thinking more on the supply side from the cannister.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 AM

Grant, I've cracked the hard line from the back of the pump and fluid comes out but doesnt seem too high pressured, if I try to pull vaccume on the resivor it won't pull a vaccume, and also the spacer is in correctly because the darn thing wouldent bolt up correctly if it wasn't. I've been tryin to bleed it by turning the wheel but an getting no where. Thanks for helping out so far.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:26 AM

OK.

2 pumps, same issue, tad concerning.

IF that pump has oil flow FROM the cannister, and you crack that banjo bolt, start the engine, you should get a decent SPARY of oil from there SERIOUSLY, about 200psi from "memory", "unloaded, heaps more when loaded as when trying to turn the wheels.

I am now seriously doubting the integrity of the pump guy. He should have the right stuff to actually test that pump for both flow AND pressure.

Pain in the butt I know, but a test bed is now the only way I can see for actually eliminating the pump itself from this equation.

I do know that with the old V12 Saginaw pumps, if the blades were installed the wrong way around in the stator, the pressure was very low, as was the flow. Yours is a ZF, but similar design in principle.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 10-01-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 AM

I decided to put the old pump back on to double check everything and now even with the old pump back on i still have no p/s. With the hard line off of the back of the old pump some fluid comes out but its not 200 psi. Same result with the new one. How long do i have manualy bleed the system for and is their any other way of bleeding the system besides turning the wheel with the weight off the vehicle? I dont really have a way to bench test the pump but what else should i check?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Also, both new pumps i bought were direct from the local Jaguar Dealer.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:16 AM

Mmmmm.

So now we got an old pump not pumping, that was pumping???.

My ideas in no particular order.

Flow from the cannister is restricted, so remove that hose and ensure you get a BIG messs of oil flowing out of that hose and its fitting at the pump itself, as it is gravity only, it will be a mess, but elimination of "supply" is first in my opinion.

Once you have "supply" the only thing left is the pump itself, especially since you have that high pressure fitting loose.

Based on that assumption, the actual "drive" of the pump comes into question, BUT, since that is from the auxillary shaft, which is chain driven, VERY unlikely to be an issue, unless for some dumb reason the dogs are slipping on the shaft/s, again very hard to imagine, but we are getting into dark territory here.

Thinking outside the box again (my favourite place), I would take your old pump and one of your new pumps to a hydraulic repair mob, and ask them to test them for you. Might cost a couple of $, but it will eliminate the pump/s once and for all.

The bleeding is SIMPLE. The system does it automatically as soon as pressure is "up", and the lock to lock motion ONCE only is just to be sure, there is NOTHING special at all.

The dribble of oil you are getting from that fitting (undone) indicates to me that the pump is NOT pumping, and that may be due to insufficient "supply", or a drive issue, there really is nothing else.