XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

No Reverse Lights

Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Reverse Lights

I have '95 XJS V12 Convertible that has lost its reverse lights. I have checked the bulbs and the fuse and they are in good working order. I'm thinking that it might be the reverse switch. Can the forum, please answer a couple of questions for me?
First, is the reverse switch on a 6.0 liter located in the transmission automatic selector lever area under the center console or is it located somewhere on the transmission?
Second, if it is under the center console, can the group tell me how to remove the wood grained console cover in the front under the heating and air conditioning controls panel? I have removed the center console glove box and the back end is now loose. However, I can not figure out how it is attached in the front and I'm afraid to pull on it to hard for fear that I break it. The 5.3 liter console, I believe, has visible screws but the 6.0 liter does not from what I can see.
Any other helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Rob

Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Before you go any further you need to buy the DVD for your car.

JDHT.com

Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks Greg. I do have the XJS Repair Operation Manual that has the supplement for the 6.0 liter and a parts manual for the XJS. Unfortunately, the supplement does not cover this topic specifically. It looks like there is a difference between the 5.3 and the 6.0 liter cars in the parts book that's why I'm hoping to get some clarification from the group. Regards, Rob

Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by rmduffner
First, is the reverse switch on a 6.0 liter located in the transmission automatic selector lever area under the center console or is it located somewhere on the transmission?
Second, if it is under the center console, can the group tell me how to remove the wood grained console cover in the front under the heating and air conditioning controls panel? I have removed the center console glove box and the back end is now loose. However, I can not figure out how it is attached in the front and I'm afraid to pull on it to hard for fear that I break it. The 5.3 liter console, I believe, has visible screws but the 6.0 liter does not from what I can see.
Any other helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Rob
Rob, I am not sure about the reverse light switch, but if it is like the pre facelifts, it is a small cannister with a threaded rod/tube coming out of it, mounted horizontally across the centreline of the car, on the end of which is a sprung ball. This is the switch, operated by the selector lever. It is adjusted by two locknuts on the threaded bit, to make the lever properly activate the switch.

To see if you have got this system, it MAY be possible to see it by pulling out the left hand ashtray from the console top and peering in (maybe with the help of a mirror on a telescopic extension). It is towards the front of the lever mechanism on the US driver's side.

To remove the console, I THINK (like the pre facelifts) you have to remove the radio trim cover by pulling off the radio knobs. This reveals the screws that hold the console top to the heater/aircon unit. There are other fixings here and there too, post again if you need their location.

Last edited by Greg in France; 07-25-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Just checked on Jaguar Classic Parts site:
Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for Classic Jaguars

If you search for "reverse lamp switch" and select the "XJS Sports Coupe/Convertible XJS (From (V)179737 Up to (V)226645)" part of the reply, you will see it is part number DAC 3844 and also see a diagram of the switch and fitting. It is the same as the pre facelifts, fitted in the same place.

Greg

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Greg in France - Thanks for the reply and advice. I see if I can get the center console out based upon your suggestions. Rob