XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

NO START after Air Conditioning work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default NO START after Air Conditioning work.

I guess ill start by asking the simple question - are the two crank position sensors exactly the same part? I have a no start situation with my 1990 XJS convertible that started yesterday... I recently changed the front CPS with no problems.

Lately I've been and had been doing a LOT of digging around and pushing and pulling wires around to get to and (unsuccessfully) remove the expansion valve for the a.c. system. Removed balance pipe and fuel rail,,, but moved wiring around back there as much as needed - lots really - noticing the crank sensor plug and wiring. Put everything back and NOOO spark NOOOO start. Suspecting the rear sensor, for some reason...

Are the front and back the same and,,,, open to any suggestion for the no start/spark situation is a SUPER welcomed thing. Willing to answer any questions.

added edit!!! - also, will a nonfunctional kickdown micro switch stop spark/run???? In the process of plugging the switch back in, one of the two plugs basically fell apart and I have a new switch on the way... Will a failed switch create a no start situation?

Last edited by JayJagJay; 07-03-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

This is what I GET!!! Lazy, put off for another day, close my eyes and pretend I didn't see things,,, cuz I would rather not and don't know what to DO about it. That has to stop.

Do I need the entire plug is my question??? I have engine grade wire that matches the gauge and - of the wire I see here. I have my soldering iron. Can I splice over and around this giant plug? Is one of these the infamous co-ax cable (I have some of that too)...

when I fiddled with this plugging, I heard and felt activity around the fuel rail, I turned the key and she started right up. Touched and fiddled wit the plug again and she died. Fiddled, heard the sounds again, started up. Fiddle more with plug, died. This is the problem. There was a small fire in this car years ago. The plug is damaged/fragile and I knew and ignored it. Here I sit! 100 degrees today. That'll learn me, lol...

Do I need the plug?

Last edited by JayJagJay; 07-03-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'm not sure what the plug is/does so I'm reluctant to assert too much....and my manuals and diagrams are not close at hand.

But.....

I'd be tempted to open it up and see if there's anything exotic inside. If it looks like nothing more than a connector then I'd go ahead and remove it, splicing in a bypass.

Or, replace with some other form of connector

Let's hear what others have to say

Cheers
DD

Old 07-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

It is a big old thing! I took some of the guts out of the plug itself on both sides,,, not much behind them. Basically rubber grommets that hold the wires in place and provide a little bit of water proofing. When I tamper with it, key in on position, once I had my hand on/touching the fuel inlet line on the RH side - just leaning in to work - and as I fiddled I could feel and hear clicking. Some light sound coming from the amplifiers area way up front, maybe. It's to do with the electrics, distributor and coil system and, one of the wires is the same mostly white with gold stripe, as the wires are for the top coil feeds. I don't know if any of what I just wrote makes much sense, lol. As I said, I'm in direct sun and It's 100degrees today.

I'm going to go ahead and go around it. The wiring is of poor quality due to being singed looooong before I owned her. Needs to be done.

Wish me luck.

For the next few, going to get some Schrader valves for the a.c.. and a receiver dryer... hopefully nothing the local big box auto house won't have. I've basically replaced all the o rings I could find and hopefully will be able to see of she'llhold a vacuum. Btw,,, how do I KNOW which is high and low pressure side,,, on this thing?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

So,,, I bypassed and removed the connector/plug. Fired rigjt up and,,, unless I'm just imagining things, she seems to be running,,, smoother...? Also and FINALLY adjusted the pot on the boot ecu for a rich running condition which seems like a good thing to. Had to make the "special" as per GFrancis from an old fuel line.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Hi Jay

In case you ever need to know, this is a Pic of the infamous Co-ax Shielding Wire

Old 07-03-2018, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hi! Thanks OB!

After looking closely at what I was dealing with, I became pretty convinced I wasn't dealing with shielded wire. At first, because I have seen your picture before, I think you'd sent it to me in my first weeks of this adventure, or maybe it was warrjon, I thought I might be dealing with the shielded wire after it took a few turns and under some tape coming onto that funky plug.

But looking at the plug (and the frayed crisped plastic and exposed wire, I realized it wasn't. So after trying to determine what ALL of the weird housing is for,,, nothing as far as i can tell,,, I cut and spliced and she started right up.

I feel stupid and lazy for having left it down there like that For so long. I knew it was like that and I kind selectively forgot about and left it... Dumb move. I disturbed it while trying to get at the expansion valve and cherrypie decided to teach me a lesson for my neglect! Which rightly deserved, lol.

all in a day

Thanks for your attention,,, OB! Really!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-04-2018)