XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Noisy PAS pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Noisy PAS pump

Saginaw PAS pump used on loads of vehicles.

OK it works, good assistance each way. When jammed up against the stops the noise changes but it is making a hydraulic type groan that is a real din all the time. The fluid was down by about 1 inch but nothing to get worked up about. I topped it up and it is not leaking anywhere. Exchange pump is £240 in the UK and £70 from the states.

I removed the original and I striped it down. The car is on 52k so should be good. All looks ok. Some debris on the magnet but not a massive amount. I expected to find a roller bearing in the nose of the pump that was on its way out. It is a plain bearing and is in great condition. No play whatsoever. The rotor is held onto the shaft with a circlip. The shaft is splined and the rotor sits over these splines. The rotor is moderately loose on the splines, not anything like it is not going to be drive but certainly there is a little bit of play there.

My question - has anyone else stripped down their pump and what was the fit of the rotor on the shaft like ?

Anyone had a loud groaning noise from the PAS pump that just does not go away ?

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by somethingsomewhere
Saginaw PAS pump used on loads of vehicles.

OK it works, good assistance each way. When jammed up against the stops the noise changes but it is making a hydraulic type groan that is a real din all the time. The fluid was down by about 1 inch but nothing to get worked up about. I topped it up and it is not leaking anywhere. Exchange pump is £240 in the UK and £70 from the states.

I removed the original and I striped it down. The car is on 52k so should be good. All looks ok. Some debris on the magnet but not a massive amount. I expected to find a roller bearing in the nose of the pump that was on its way out. It is a plain bearing and is in great condition. No play whatsoever. The rotor is held onto the shaft with a circlip. The shaft is splined and the rotor sits over these splines. The rotor is moderately loose on the splines, not anything like it is not going to be drive but certainly there is a little bit of play there.

My question - has anyone else stripped down their pump and what was the fit of the rotor on the shaft like ?

Anyone had a loud groaning noise from the PAS pump that just does not go away ?

Any ideas or suggestions ?
Maybe it could be the Steering Rack?

Old 08-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Not the pump

OK so I replaced all the seals in the PAS pump and the rebuild made no difference whatsoever !

Took each of the belts off in turn and it was the belt for the fan drive. Reduced the load on the tensioner jockey pulley and the noise changed dramatically, dependent on the belt tension. It turned out it was the bearing in the jockey wheel. NLA from Jag and no one had stock. Holiday beckoned. Met a great guy called Richard breaking a V12 near Basingstoke. He has a couple of Ferraris and a road legal 2009 formula 1 car.
JAGUAR XJS V12 5.3 AUTOMATIC BREAKING FOR SPARES PARTS BREAKER 1990 WHEEL NUT | eBay

Started holiday with a trip to in-laws nearby. Picked up arm and fitted it - silence !!!

Then went to France. Overnight Newhaven Dieppe. Wonderful drive down to the Italian/French Alps all the way with the hood down. Nine days there and then back. The car is 26 years old and this is the 6th time I have gone major touring on the continent. No problems - ran like a dream. Temp needle just came up of the normal zone a bit a a stinker of a climb on the Route Napoleon when I was pushing on a bit, but didn't miss a beat. Air con great. Lots of compliments whenever parked. Stopped at some lights in Gap in the town centre alongside a pavement bar, glorious scalding afternoon. One of the patrons gives my wife an I a big thumbs up. Got back to Dover and landed into thick fog !

Awesome trip.