XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

One Headlamp or Two? Jaguar XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

I like the spoiler on the bottom pic. Nice setup with the indicator and spotlights. Anyone know if that was a kit or a one off setup ?

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-23-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Growing up in the United States all the XJS' I saw growing up had the quads. I think that is why when I see the quads on the XJS now it dates the car. I do like the singles on the 1995 model as it seems to update the car but since I have two 1995 XJS' I did purchase a set of quads that I think will look good on my dark blue '95 XJS.

To my eye the solid red '95 XJS just would not look correct with the quads as I see the solid red as more sporty in some ways. Just a personal thing but does seem to matter what you are use to, what color the car is and to some extent if the car is a pre facelift.

I like both set ups but looks odd to see the singles on the pre face lift cars and I know that is because I never saw that growing up. Would guess those that grew up in England may to some extent see it the other way.

For some reason I like the look of the quads on the dark colored cars like black, dark blue etc. I suspect to my eye the single large headlamp just really stands out surrounded by all that dark paint.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Best of both worlds!!!

How about modernized headlamps like maybe some aftermarket company should make. Like the new headlamps, have the quad headlamp shape utilizing LED technology with a clear plexiglass cover that gives the effect of the euro headlamp. The styling of this car can accept a lot of modern upgrades, especially the convertible which rids the car of the DATED fastback top. Anybody? Bud

Old 11-23-2014, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
I like the spoiler on the bottom pic. Nice setup with the indicator and spotlights. Anyone know if that was a kit or a one off setup ?
That is from Arden, the German Jag tuner

Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

OK, I will change the quad lights over to singles, add a big leaper to the hood, and put those chromie fender lip covers on and swap out the V12 for a thrifty diesel. My only remaining question is on the rear spoiler. Should I go with a little one, or one of those great big fast and furious style ones? ;-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Dleit53:
Bc xj (11-24-2014), orangeblossom (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
Growing up in the United States all the XJS' I saw growing up had the quads. I think that is why when I see the quads on the XJS now it dates the car. I do like the singles on the 1995 model as it seems to update the car but since I have two 1995 XJS' I did purchase a set of quads that I think will look good on my dark blue '95 XJS.

To my eye the solid red '95 XJS just would not look correct with the quads as I see the solid red as more sporty in some ways. Just a personal thing but does seem to matter what you are use to, what color the car is and to some extent if the car is a pre facelift.

I like both set ups but looks odd to see the singles on the pre face lift cars and I know that is because I never saw that growing up. Would guess those that grew up in England may to some extent see it the other way.

For some reason I like the look of the quads on the dark colored cars like black, dark blue etc. I suspect to my eye the single large headlamp just really stands out surrounded by all that dark paint.
Its a tricky one alright, almost as bad as trying to choose a 'Tie'

Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dleit53
OK, I will change the quad lights over to singles, add a big leaper to the hood, and put those chromie fender lip covers on and swap out the V12 for a thrifty diesel. My only remaining question is on the rear spoiler. Should I go with a little one, or one of those great big fast and furious style ones? ;-)
That seems to take irony, to a whole new different level.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buddyluv
How about modernized headlamps like maybe some aftermarket company should make. Like the new headlamps, have the quad headlamp shape utilizing LED technology with a clear plexiglass cover that gives the effect of the euro headlamp. The styling of this car can accept a lot of modern upgrades, especially the convertible which rids the car of the DATED fastback top. Anybody? Bud
Hi Bud that's an interesting concept.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
I had a huge problem when I uprated the quads on the Scabby Cabby and gave up in the end; I think that the higher output bulbs had blown some inline fuse somewhere that I couldn't locate.
I think that the trick is to put extra relays in to handle the higher current draw (could be completely wrong of course!).
The biggest pain will be removing the old main mounting brackets and fitting the new ones as access is a little tight.
You have to get the mounts first of course.
Which I just happen to have...............
You're not a very good Salesman Steve, that's put me off already!

Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
if you are basing your theory that both lights where original because of this photo :

then you are incorrect. Jaguar had already had to compromise the original covered lights on the E type due to the U.S. market regulations across the entire E type range , so on the XJS they made The original lights for England and the rest of the world and US only lights for the U.S. only.. this is the reason that "quad" lights are only found in the US and absolutely no-where else (when new)
Looking at that photo, I'm starting to love the Singles all the more.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
@ OB

If you want to upgrade the Quads to ovals, I've got two incl. bezels and wipers... I would be prepared to swap. Mine are RHDs...
Hi Daim

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to stay with what I've got.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Safari
My personal preference is for the quad lights. To my eye it looks better than the euro lights.

I also prefer the look of the pre-face lift cars. On the face lift cars I think the euro lights look appropriate.

Mark
If fitting them was a bit easier, then I might be tempted to try some Quads.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
I liked the quad lights as I ran aircraft style lights for high beams. I upgraded the low beams to a better bulb and wiring and rewired for high heat in the high beam aircraft lights. Fog lights under bumper with headlights were good at highway speeds at night, but the aircraft high beams could see for a mile while at speed. The single light looks good, but for function quads are better. The Europeans were converting the single lamp style to quads for more light. If you are going for your own style, go with what you like. If you want function, go quads.
Hi Larry

I think I will stick with the Singles, as they look so good on my Car.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Katoh
I have no leaper, and I have also changed my lights to the quad set-up, personally I like the look so much better then the singles, they tend to look like a frog from the front IMO. I kept my old lights, you never know one of children may take interest in it and change it back. Its simply personal preference, and I was never big on square singles, I think its just what dad had bought that was the big influence, started with a 64 Toyota Dyna truck and then a Ford ZB Fairlane then a Holden HQ Statesmen, all had quad round headlights.
Must be just genetic programming I think.
Hi Katoh

I'm going to stay with the Singles for the time being and can't wait to get rid of that 'Leaper' and block up the holes.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EcbJag
I've been looking for a set of singles for YEARS. When I can find a matching set though they are always missing something like the bezels or brackets. I think the singles make the car look more foreign and refined here in the states and I like that. But only the glass ones. The plastic ones all turn yellow eventually and that ruins the looks of the car more than anything!

Next spring I will be spending a month in England. I plan on finding single headlights while I'm there since they are everywhere and bringing 'em home with me!
Loads of Jag Breakers in the UK but maybe dipping the wrong way for the US?

Old 11-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Both gone now, sadly.
The set I have for sale are out of the black one.
What did you go and do that for!

The Quads look (looked!) great on your 'Black' Car!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,928 Likes on 1,671 Posts

I couldn't afford to keep the white one in (almost) pristine condition so she would have deteriorated.
The black one turned out to have more problems than I could deal with (what with the boat too) so had to go.
So I came over all V12 and bought the blue one which is kind of shabby but not suffering anything too catastrophic (apart from the front subframe which has been sorted).
And possible imminent timing chain failure!
Actually I think the quads suited the white one more but that may be because of the front spoiler.
My old Lister

Attached Thumbnails One Headlamp or Two? Jaguar XJS V12-1.jpg   One Headlamp or Two? Jaguar XJS V12-5.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

I couldn't afford to keep the white one in (almost) pristine condition so she would have deteriorated.
The black one turned out to have more problems than I could deal with (what with the boat too) so had to go.
So I came over all V12 and bought the blue one which is kind of shabby but not suffering anything too catastrophic (apart from the front subframe which has been sorted).
And possible imminent timing chain failure!
Actually I think the quads suited the white one more but that may be because of the front spoiler.
My old Lister
Owning a Boat is like throwing money down a hole in the Ground!

Ask me how I know! Ok I'll tell you.

I used to have a Boat you would have killed for!

As I inherited an American 30ft Wooden Powerboat, which was Carvel Planked and built of Mahogany.

With Not One! Not Two! but Three 6cyl Grey Fireball Inboard Engines all connected up to a 100 gallon Fuel Tank and all those engines were PETROL!

So in to-days money, it would have cost £700 (ish) for just One day out!

And as none of my Relatives knew anything about boats, it ended up with me, I did have a day out in it once and She did about 35 Knotts an XJS on Sea if ever there was one.

As I couldn't get it in the Garden as I had a few XJS's in the way, I used to keep it in a Farmers Field on an 8 Wheel boat trailer, which I used to pull with my Land Rover.

Until one night some 'Bad Guys' tried to syphon all the Petrol out, with a home made electric pump, that was only designed to pump water.

The petrol melted the pump inside and then it went up like a fireball and burnt to the ground!

Though I managed to rescue the Trailer (minus the 8 X rubber tyres) which I still have to this very day.

That Vintage Speedboat would have been worth a fortune and I really wish that I still had her now but She is sadly no more.

You should have Sold your Boat and kept the Car!

As you are into Vintage Boats you are probably crying your eyes out now, as much as I was then.

But just to make absolutely sure, I've saved the best to last.

She was a Tripple Screw 'Chris Craft!'

Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,928 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Bummer!