XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Part Brand Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Part Brand Suggestions

I am starting to stock pile parts for some upcoming work on the V12.
My smog pump took a dump and I need to replace it. Funny, in my 46 years of car ownership I've never had a smog pump seize, it must have been stored next to the Lucas parts before assembly!!?? I also have some cooling concerns so I figure while I'm in there I might as well make it a real project. I have Zirgo electric fans ordered so that's a done deal. I will have the radiator boiled out or rodded or whatever it is they do these days and if necessary replaced.

I will also be replacing,

BELTS
HOSES
T-STATS
WATER PUMP
COOLANT
DIST CAP & ROTOR
PLUGS & WIRES
INJECTOR HOSES
HOPEFULLY A NEW INJECTOR HARNESS if I can figure that all out.

plus anything I happen to break with my "Brain Surgeon" like finesse. I figure this is an afternoons work.........at my age I'll forget to do 2/3 of it and I'll misplace 1/2 of the new stuff I buy.

In the absence of Marelli caps & rotors is there a brand that is of higher quality than others? Plugs and wires that the V12 seems to prefer? Should I replace the coils? T-stats, is one brand way better than another? Just looking for suggestions or opinions and one stop shopping is always a plus.

I do already have a 1.75l bottle of Grey Goose to keep myself hydrated and in the proper frame of mind!!

Thanks, Terry

Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I'm a Ciroc fan myself.

Ever try it? It's the only vodka I know made from grapes.

Yes, grapes.

It tastes different from any other vodka I've ever had.

Buy an airplane bottle if they sell them. You won't be disappointed.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry
BELTS
HOSES
T-STATS
WATER PUMP
COOLANT
DIST CAP & ROTOR
PLUGS & WIRES
INJECTOR HOSES
HOPEFULLY A NEW INJECTOR HARNESS if I can figure that all out.

Belts: Dayco or Gates or Goodyear. All good. Last time I ordered a set of Jaguar-labeled belts (surprisingly affordable) they said "Jaguar" on one section and, as I recall, "Datco" on another

Hoses: As above.
I used to order bona fide Jaguar-labeled hoses because they were higher grade than most aftermarkets...or seemed to be. Now Jaguar is connected with "URO" brand replacement parts which have been getting mixed review

T/stats: Gotta get the V12-specific thermostats. They are a different configuration than generics. Waxstat was probably the OEM and would be a good choice if you can find 'em.

Water pump: ??

Coolant: Green Prestone always worked for me

Dist cap and rotor: The bona fide Marelli cap is long gone, yes. But as of a couple years ago ordering a true Jaguar-boxed rotor got you a true Marelli rotor. Things may have changed by now, though.

I've heard the replacements (no matter what the box or vendor says) are "Intermotor" brand. They are gnerally considered lower quality than true Mareilli parts but they work. If you keep an eye on the system....annual inspection, I reckon...you should be OK.

Many guys like Magnacore wires. Good reviews. On my XJS and older XJS I ran OEM "Rists" wires and never had any problems.

Injector hose: Gates. Not Goodyear. The Goodyear F.I. hose with the blue inner sleeve is known to be leak prone. BTDT

Harness: make your own!

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-27-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
I'm a Ciroc fan myself.

Ever try it? It's the only vodka I know made from grapes.

Yes, grapes.

It tastes different from any other vodka I've ever had.

Buy an airplane bottle if they sell them. You won't be disappointed.

but but but ... doesn't that make it Grappa? In Canada, to be vodka, it must be made from grain or potatoes. Grappa is made from grapes.

But then, there are laws governing the use of certain booze-names, like Scotch, or Champagne. Grappa is supposed to be made in Italy, where it has traditionally been made (from grapes). If someone is making it in the USA, they wouldn't be allowed to call it Grappa, so "vodka" is the next best thing.

In the liquor industry, "vodka" is used interchangeably with "ethanol", or neutral grain spirits.

So, for a real adventure, try real Italian Grappa. You can get fancy and specify the varietal, such as grappa chardonnay.

Last edited by Mkii250; 02-28-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Oh god that was pedantic.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

People have been asking, “what exactly is the difference between vodka from grapes and grappa?” First, we are mandated by the TTB (Tax and Trade Bureau) to use their terminology on our labels. With that in mind, vodka by their definition has to be distilled to 95% alcohol or greater, from any material, and “needs to be neutral spirits or distilled or treated after distillation with charcoal so as to be without character, aroma, taste, or color.”

Grappa, according to the TTB, is a type of brandy. Brandy by their definition are spirits distilled from fermented fruit at less than 95% ABV (Alcohol by Volume) and must also have the taste characteristics generally attributed to brandy. All Brandy is “grape” unless stated otherwise. (IE…Peach Brandy)

Now, more specifically, Grappa is a type of Pomace or Marc Brandy, meaning, it’s a brandy distilled from the skin and pulp of sound ripe fruit after the withdrawl of the juice.

So what does this all mean?

Our Vodka from Grapes is a product made from Vidal grape skins and pulp taken from Shade Winery estate grown fruit directly after pressing. We rehydrated and re-pressed this pomace and then fermented this “small wine”. After fermentation, we ran this small wine through our stripping still which produced a “low wine” as we distillers call it, which is about 45% abv. This product was then distilled in our rectification still which brought the alcohol by volume up to 96%.
Even though we began much like one of many methods of Grappa production, we distilled to such a purity, we could not call our product a Grappa.

I must say, though, the more one tastes vodkas from all different raw ingredients, the more one can pick out the original ingredients. Grape is definitely a background, if even tertiary, character which you may discern with some comparisons over time. It is indeed a joy to taste it next to our organic corn based vodka to see a marked difference.

-from Vodka from Grapes vs. Grappa | Dancing Tree Distillery

I learned something today...