XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Part Identification Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Part Identification Help

Hello,

I have a couple parts under my hood that I would appreciate help identifying. I originally thought they might be AC related, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping someone has an answer!

The first part is this little vacuum valve. One end of the vacuum line is hooked to the bottom of the A side manifold, it has a couple electrical connectors on it that look like they might go to the secondary fan (which isn't kicking on for me, but I believe that's because my AC system is inop at the moment) but I'm not positive. the other end of the valve looks like it might have a hose that is supposed to go to it, but I'm not sure what the deal is there.

Picture:
Name:  20151031_152154_zpsoketorqz.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  125.6 KB

The second component is a solenoid that also looks like it should have a hose going to it, but does not. The connector on this solenoid is also, I believe, wired to the AC compressor in some way. It's the blue thing in the picture.

Picture #2:

I looked around the A/C Parts diagrams on Jaguar Heritage to no avail, I'm hoping you gents can help me figure out what they are and give me a little insight as to what they should be doing so that I can hook them up correctly. The car appears to run fine without them doing their proper functions, but I currently don't have air conditioning. It only blows air out the foot outlets, no matter what I have the temperature set at. The aircon worked when the car was parked but it has sat for a while so I'm sure the AC system doesn't have pressure anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The first one is the Extra Air Valve. It slips into a grommet on the back side of the A-bank (right side) air filter housing. When the a/c clutch is powered-up, the valve opens to increase idle speed a bit.

The second one, the little blue thingy, is part of the cruise control vacuum system....um...as I recall. I'm having a bit of brain fade at the moment. Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

yup

as stated above,

the blue valve is a ' dump valve ' for the cruise control and is a safety feature to ensure the cruise bellows isn't holding the revs up at all

the extra air valve compensates for extra engine load for AC etc

BB