XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner

Hello All,

Seeking for your wisdom and assistance here:

I'm going to see an 83' XJ-S H.E. V12 during the next week. The car's stood in warm garage for more than a year with the exception of occasional test drives. The price to me seems to be reasonable when compared to others in similar condition. The dealer (who's quite reputable for importing US cars to my area), has told the car's in good nick other than the paintwork which has dimmed over the years. Maybe a good polish will help to restore the colour to some extent? It's totally driveable and doesn't heat and has no rust whatsoever. Everything seems to be in good working order. I've seen it once before in flesh in summer and there was a pink puddle below the car, most likely was leaking ATF I reckon?

The real issue, however, is the fact I'm quite a novice what comes to DIY car repairs but have the motivation and drive to learn. Well aware of the fact XJ-S might not be the most beginner-friendly car but yet I've dreamt of having one for a long time. I have a couple of car-savvy mates though who seem to be eager to teach and help if necessary. The ultimate question is: will I be able to cope somehow with the combination of my motivation, helpful people at this forum, helpful mates, Haynes manual, ROM, Kirby Palm's XJ-S help book and long lasting patience? Has anybody else bought an XJ-S with minimal DIY/mechanical knowledge at first? What are your experiences and thoughts and did you eventually overcome to own a Jag you can be proud of? I'm currently self-studying the fundamentals of motor vehicle technology which really seems to be my cup of tea, makes me wonder if I'm working on the wrong industry (finance at the moment).

I've been thinking this as a graduation gift for myself as I've been very sentimental towards British classics for a long time but never got to own one before. I'm not intending to use it as a daily driver but to have it as a patient long-term restoration project with intention to drive it on high and sunny weekend days and occasionally drive it for longer trips if the cat would point out to become somewhat reliable to withstand longer journeys.

Please find attached some pics of the potential Jag. Please feel free to point out any flaws you might find with an experienced eye.

Thank you for all your replies in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner-image.jpg   Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner-image-1-.jpg   Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner-image-2-.jpg   Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner-image-3-.jpg   Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner-image-4-.jpg  

Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner-image-5-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Joonash

The XJS seems to be a learning curve for everyone, no matter what experience you have, though at first glance it doesn't seem if you have much work to do on that Car, as She looks very clean.

That Fluid could be a Tranny hose leak, so you may have to get a new pipe made up, plus may have to put up with dull paintwork.

Whether its worth it on not depends on the Price.

joonash (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Price is the key !!! It certainly looks nice, clean engine bay means a lot. It would not be that nice if it had not been kept up by someone. Saying that, no matter how good it is now, things will go wrong and given time and patience as well as your willingness to get down and dirty, it will be fun to drive and enjoy.
Ken in WV

The following 2 users liked this post by kenatofc:
joonash (11-12-2016), Mguar (08-31-2019)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

In my opinion it's a real beauty! Great color and the coupes are awesome! Of course I could be biased. My '87 could be it's twin.

As for maintaining that beauty I'd say it is actually a good starting place. Simple technologically and very thoroughly documented here on the list. And despite the complex appearance of the engine bay it's all reasonably accessible. My 2002 VW Jetta turbo by comparison is practically impossible to work on.

joonash (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Welcome,

The engine bay looks clean which is a possibly a sign of being looked after. Mechanicals are the easy and cheapest bit of bringing an XJS back to daily use.

I would look for RUST. This is by far the most expensive/difficult bit to fix, expensive if you have to pay someone and difficult/time consuming if you DIY.

Look and poke in all the lower places around the underneath of the car. I would go so far as to use a thin screwdiver to poke around.

joonash (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

I agree with all the above, particularly the RUST point. look underneath very very thoroughly. Particularly where auapension parts are attached, subframes are attached, and the sills at the wheel end of each sill. You should be able to poke it HARD with a screwdriver and find no holes or flakes of rust.
Secondly, I would only add that you must be prepared to buy/accumulate over the months/years, the tools you need. Also an undercover space is in my view absolutely essential. Being able to leave the car safe and dry while you recover/find out/get the bits you need, is a must. Working on an XJS takes time and you cannot rush it!
If you do all this, the car is fantastically rewarding to own and drive and is quite up to modern conditions once sorted. Budget on about 4000 USD for parts, spread over two or three years, if you want to get it right up to snuff and absolutely reliable mechanically. Do not fool yourself, once you start using it, you will soon need discs, pads, tyres, plugs, oil, suspension bushes, shocks, hoses, dizzy cap, HT leads, thermostats, sensors etc; all these parts will be old and will soon show their age.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 11-12-2016 at 01:53 AM.
joonash (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 02:44 AM

Thank you for all your shared thoughts! Well appreciated.

The asking price is a bit less than 7k in euros but I believe I can haggle it down to around 6 grands. That's almost half the price what the asking prices are here for cars in similar condition. Oddly enough the car's not listed for sale on any popular classifieds sites either. The dealer says the price is negotiable and is friend of my friend, and quite popular dealer here where I live. (which I'll reveal after I've bought the car) He says it's completely rust-free but I guess it's really worth having a look from the underside.

I've been budgeting for parts and repairs for the next years and the suggested budget by Greg is less what I was budgeting myself. Of course if a new respray would be required at some point, it'll be a hefty bill but I believe a good deep polish will do to restore some of the original glamour of the red colour at first.

Googling XJ-S and the experienced issues of former owners or friends' friends' cars caught on fire etc just were daunting at first and almost put me off from even considering one. I'm glad I found my way to these forums.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:49 AM

Forgot to mention one worrisome observation. It seems the temp gauge in the picture is near "Hot". Could there be any logical explanation for this other than the car's been running hot at some point of its life? Is there a way to detect if the engine has suffered damage from running too hot other than the noise if a valve seat has dropped? Is it possible to detect if the head's been warped without disassembling the head from the block?

Old 11-12-2016, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Joonash

Not surprised She's not advertised in the Regular Classic Car Sections, as if the Tranny Hose has gone and left that pink puddle of Oil, a new Tranny Hose is almost unobtainable.

You would have to do some fettling and get one made up anyone going to look at that Car would probably run a mile from an Oil Leak like that.

You want that Car for $5K its not gonna be an easy sell for that dealer.

joonash (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joonash
Forgot to mention one worrisome observation. It seems the temp gauge in the picture is near "Hot". Could there be any logical explanation for this other than the car's been running hot at some point of its life? Is there a way to detect if the engine has suffered damage from running too hot other than the noise if a valve seat has dropped? Is it possible to detect if the head's been warped without disassembling the head from the block?
If it were me, I'd walk away and look for another Car as if the Engine has been 'Cooked' then it could be a dropped Valve Seat waiting to happen.

At the very Minimum you will need a New Rad (Re-Core) and Hoses, together with a New Fan Clutch and a New Fan.

If the Fan has any Cracks in it, then it could break up and take out the Rad and put a really bad dent in the Bonnet/Hood.

Plus you've got to fix that 'Tranny Oil Leak'

Its all too very easy to get yourself Fixated with the First XJS you see and you are already in for over at least $2,000 plus a possible Re-Spray before its even taken off the Lot.

So best to Spend a bit more now and look around for a 'Cream Puff' or the Best you can afford.

Every Single Person on here will tell you buying the Car is the easiest bit, what is going to cost you the money, is looking after and maintaining it.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-12-2016 at 06:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (11-12-2016), joonash (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Joonash

Not surprised She's not advertised in the Regular Classic Car Sections, as if the Tranny Hose has gone and left that pink puddle of Oil, a new Tranny Hose is almost unobtainable.

You would have to do some fettling and get one made up anyone going to look at that Car would probably run a mile from an Oil Leak like that.

You want that Car for $5K its not gonna be an easy sell for that dealer.
I'll ask him if the leaking issue has been sorted already. Saw the puddle months ago though. Probably have a look if there's still any signs of leaking when having a look underneath and check the oil level obviously as well.

Cheers orangeblossom.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:24 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Agreed.

Look carefully at that oil leak, the selector shaft seal is the common culprit, from sitting around. A $3 seal, many hours to replace, as the selector shaft MUST be removed to do so, which means pan off, exhaust off, etc.

The temp gauge is a WORRY for sure. If that is after a short engine run, she got issues.

NO way of knowing any damage without dismantling the engine.

Those 2 things concern me heaps, and I dontget concerned about V12 engine very easily. They are STRONG, but overheat, and your National Debt will be needed to rebuild it.
I would use the temp and oil leak as a serious bargaining tool, and be prepared to walk away if you think you are getting any "spin".

Apart from what you asked in the first post about Patience, as to what else you need.

HAHAHA.

Sense of humour, the more warped the better.
Language, your choice, but not the sort for publication.
Bandaids, LOTS, as blood letting is going to happen.
Tools, LOTS OF THEM, coz when ya drop one it will NOT drop out the bottom.
Time, plenty of that at frst, to get this car "up to snuff", after that, no more than any other car on the road.
Alcohol, HEAPS, for you, not the car.
Sense of adventure, nuff said.

After all that, GO FOR IT.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
joonash (11-12-2016), orangeblossom (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Its all too very easy to get yourself Fixated with the First XJS you see and you are already in for over at least $2,000 plus a possible Re-Spray before its even taken of the Lot.

So best to Spend a bit more now and look around for a 'Cream Puff' or the Best you can afford.

Every Single Person on here will tell you buying the Car is the easiest bit, what is going to cost you the money, is looking after and maintaining it.
True enough. I'll have to ask this as well if the car was formerly running hot. The position of the temp gauge in the picture seems to be really worrying, didn't notice until I looked closer yesterday.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joonash
I'll ask him if the leaking issue has been sorted already. Saw the puddle months ago though. Probably have a look if there's still any signs of leaking when having a look underneath and check the oil level obviously as well.

Cheers orangeblossom.
Hi Joonash

Its not the Leak that would worry me, that can always be fixed but if the Engine has been Cooked then you could be buying a 'Parts Car'

Also best to bear in mind that if you wanted to buy a better Car at some time in the Future, Dull or Iffy Paintwork, will have Potential Buyers looking elsewhere.

Always buy the Best XJS that you can afford or it will turn into a money pit.

Grant Francis (11-12-2016), joonash (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Apart from what you asked in the first post about Patience, as to what else you need.

HAHAHA.

Sense of humour, the more warped the better.
Language, your choice, but not the sort for publication.
Bandaids, LOTS, as blood letting is going to happen.
Tools, LOTS OF THEM, coz when ya drop one it will NOT drop out the bottom.
Time, plenty of that at frst, to get this car "up to snuff", after that, no more than any other car on the road.
Alcohol, HEAPS, for you, not the car.
Sense of adventure, nuff said.

After all that, GO FOR IT.
This seems to be a good opportunity have an excuse to keep my whisky stock well supplied haha.

Cheers for all input mates!

The following 2 users liked this post by joonash:
Grant Francis (11-12-2016), orangeblossom (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Not sure why the temp gauge is that high at idle BUT that would be a HUGE red flag to me. Mine has never been above the "N" in 8 years of ownership and I live in hot NE Florida. I've had two friends buy XJSs that dropped valve seats shortly after purchase, the fix outweighed the original purchase price. I think both became either lawn ornaments or shelves in their garages.

The following 4 users liked this post by JTsmks:
Grant Francis (11-12-2016), Greg in France (11-13-2016), joonash (11-12-2016), orangeblossom (11-12-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 04:27 AM

Quite a busy week behind and I didn't contact the dealer. I've been thinking if the possibility of any damage caused by overheating could be eliminated with a compression test or something else? I've also been thinking to save money for a well sorted and mint one but they seem to command quite high prices nowadays and don't know if they'll continue to appreciate even more.

orangeblossom (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Joonash

There is always a great Temptation to buy the first one you see, as these Cars are very hard to walk away from, I did that myself many years

ago even before I knew this Forum existed.

Once you Start letting Your Heart rule your Head, then You are 'easy pickings' for a Dealer, or anyone else who has got a 'Lemon' to Sell.

So don't be in a hurry, take your time or you just won't stop throwing money at it, or getting involved in a needless amount of hard work.

Even a really good one will need 'bringing up to Snuff' as if you want to enjoy the Car, then doing regular maintenance is essential.

But if you buy a Bad one, then you may as well take your money and put a match to it.

Some people get up to all sorts of 'Tricks' like taking the ABS Bulb out and replacing it with a 'Dud' one and then doing the same with the Fuse.

It would still have non-ABS Braking but by the time you find that out then it will be too late.

Also putting a 'Product' in the Rad to Stop it leaking, which can also Block the Waterways up.

So now you know a little bit from what you have already seen on the one you 'were' thinking of getting, turn yourself into a 'Savvy Buyer'

Overheating is a 'Big Deal-breaker' and regardless of what they tell you.

'Probably just needs the Rad flushing out' or the ABS needs a New Bulb'

That's the 'Conversation Killer' time to walk away!

Save your money and buy a better Car, or you will only end up Spending the same or even more on a bad one.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-20-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Grant Francis (11-20-2016), Greg in France (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Yep OB is right, unless you are buying the car as a project and at the right price, and are prepared to spend a few years (as I have done, and still going) getting the car up to snuff.

If you want a car to drive buy a good one, buying a renovator is way more expensive in the long run than buying a good one.

My car to date excluding purchase price and engine rebuild, I would have at least $20KAUD invested. In our market I would be lucky to get $15K for my car.

Grant Francis (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

I do not know which country you live in; but if you came to the UK you could pick a very good road registered V12 coupe for between 5 and 9 thousand UKP. And drive it home.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (11-20-2016), orangeblossom (11-20-2016)