XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Pre facelift wiper repair 78 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Pre facelift wiper repair 78 XJS

The wipers on my car suffered the usual, the rain cover has flaked apart and the motor was a solid chunk of rust. I looked around the internet and the cheapest rebuilt motor I found was $225 US, and they just went up from there for new or used. This did not settle well with my thrifty nature.
My Haynes manual describes the motor as a Lucas 16 watt, 2 speed motor. So, I sez to myself, how many different 16W, 2 speed motors do you suppose Lucas made. I am betting not too many. So, armed with a cheap nature, and confident that Lucas was almost as cheap as me, I shopped eBay and found a used TR7 wiper motor, Lucas 16 watt, 2 speed. Lucas # 75721. $50 delivered to my door. The shape of things to come. I had the seller measure the motor can, and his measurements were slightly different than mine. I almost didn't buy it. I don't know if I was inspired by God, or just stubborn and stupid, but I bought it. When I took the motor out of the package and compared it to my wipers it was clear that the can was the same, and the armature appeared to match too. Yee-Ha, this is going to work. The brush board was slightly different but the brushes were in the same orientation in the motor housing. So I charged forward, cleaned up my gear housing, cable and wheelboxes, and installing the new brush board, armature and motor can.
Here I hit an obstacle. The TR7 armature is slightly shorter than the original armature. I did not have enough thread on my thrust screw to adjust it. Crap! But I was not going to stop here, what alternative did I have? So after searching my garage for a 1/4-28 fine thread screw that was long enough, I finally stole one of the bolts that hold the wiper motor/cowl inlet to the body of the car. Just the right length! I adjusted armature end play, and connected the motor wires to battery, and, Praise the Lord, I have high speed and low speed! I now solder the wires from the brushes to my original wiring going to the park switch, and I fabricate a rain cover for the motor from a 5 quart motor oil bottle. I plug it into the car, Lo and behold, I have wipers! However, they do not park. Not sure why, the park switch is original, I am reasonably certain when I reinstalled the cable to the motor I did engage the plastic slide that operates the park switch. But, you know what? I really do not care!
I have gone from a rusted solid mess, to working wipers for only 50 bucks US, and an afternoons work.
Now I have a question. Which side of the car should the wipers park on? If I park them on the right, they do not wipe the left side, stop about in the middle of the driver. If I park them on the left side, the wiper arms are not angled properly, and they stick up.

Attached Thumbnails Pre facelift wiper repair 78 XJS-lucas-75721.jpg   Pre facelift wiper repair 78 XJS-motor-cans-armatures.jpg   Pre facelift wiper repair 78 XJS-original-brushes.jpg   Pre facelift wiper repair 78 XJS-75721-brushes.jpg