XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

problem with my '96 XJS not inspecting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with my '96 XJS not inspecting...

I own a 1996 XJS and have tried 4 times this year to get it inspected. The Secondary Air System, Heated 02 Sensor and Evaporative Emissions Control System codes on the summary of OBDII Readiness Monitors test "not ready". I have driven almost a thousand miles on both highway and city to no avail. And no, my check engine light is not on. I have heard of certain "driving cycles" which may help to ready my monitors(I only need one more to pass). Anyone out there know any specific driving cycles to help me get my car inspected or any other helpful options before I have to spend my kids college education at a Jaguar dealership? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Gallos

Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The independent dealer I bought my 96 XJS from "has a guy" that handles getting the smog inspections done on the older jags and other imports he sells. This guy really knows the older cars and emissions systems of the day and can zero in pretty quickly and reasonably to get the specs up to snuff. Maybe a used car dealer that handles jags and other later model imports in your area "has a guy" that can help you out.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same problem and am at wits end. I had same issue 5-6 years ago and I eventually found a mechanic who installed a new obd computer. No problems until this past year. I have a mechanic who has had the car for 7 months with one of the codes resetting. Car runs wells, no emission problems, no lights on. I am about ready to give it away as I feel like I have given away thousands of dollars already.
Ron

Old 06-22-2023, 03:07 PM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

You don't mention which engine you have.
Is it a V12 or a six cylinder?
On the V12 there is a fuse for the Heated O2 sensor located in the right side trunk.
More than likely there would be one in the same area on the 4.0L.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

The fact that these monitors are not being set but neither is a check engine lamp indicates the conditions for the test to happen are not being met. That's usually from low coolant temp or low fuel levels while driving the steady state part of the drive cycle.

The ODB2 drive cycle is standardized across brands. Here's what I know that has helped me pass. And it's a 96 so we know it's an inline 6. You can use a generic OBD2 scanner to check the readiness monitors but many of the lower cost generics dont monitor readiness so choose carefully.

Go on a long drive and keep the speed over 45 but under 55 MPH , steady state for a long period of time, at lease 15 min after the engine is HOT. Some cars wont get up to full temp if you jump right on the highway. You can use the OBD2 scanner to make sure your coolant temp is about 190F before your cruise and if it drops below you will not meet readiness. During the cruise, don't touch the brake. Hard to do with the way traffic moves these days so you may find yourself on a late night cruise on a warm evening.
Leave the A/C off
Make sure the engine is HOT. If you have an aftermarket thermostat with a lower temp replace it one that has the OE temperature.
Make sure the gas tank is exactly 3/4 full when you start your cruise. And open the gas cap briefly before you set out but with the engine off.

May want to see this...
https://www.smogtips.com/smog-questi...itor-Readiness

The following users liked this post:
RickE (06-23-2023)