XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Proud New Owner of a Beautiful XJS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proud New Owner of a Beautiful XJS

I just acquired this car today from my father for my 21st birthday, I've grown up with him owning that car and I've always loved it. I'm a car enthusiast but I have not looked into this cars details too deep but from what I understand its a regular XJS with a lister body kit...but the car is not tuned by lister. I was hoping someone could confirm that for me or give me a better idea of what it is I now possess.

I could also use a lot of advice of what to do to the car maintenance wise to get it back on the road, it hasn't seen good road use in at least six years.

Here are some pictures, enjoy:

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM

I found this picture online, pretty similar especially the wing.

its an 86' full lister conversion from http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...nd_Effects.htm

Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

that interior is cherry! great car big cat. Enjoy it, and be careful.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Thankyou, she's going to be a great weekend driver, hopefully some goodclife will bring some life back into her with minimul isses

Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!! I wish ours was that nice! That's a sweet ride you got there!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautimous! I have a '94 XJS (black) and love the car. Yours is really tricked out and the interior looks great. Is that dad's Camaro in the background?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM

that it is, she's a 69' DZ 302 with some rare trunk options including a cam set and some other goodies like the cross ram intake, dual carb, and header package, making the motor capable of 7500+ rpms right off the showroom floor. She was actually one of reggie jacksons collectables at one point to my understanding.

I was getting some information from my pops about the XJS, and to his knowledge the car was bought looking just as it did in the pictures above, the car was 52K new and the suspension and body "lister" kit was a 20K package from the dealer. Has anybody ever seen one quite like this? I believe it is a very special car and everything has been redone; motor (seals, belts, valve job), interior (wood and upholstery) and the car was re-chromed on the outside and repainted the original jaguar red with the ripple paint on the rocker panels.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

That is a lovely looking car you have there, and, most importantly it looks well cared-for. So you should have a very happy time with the car.

Don't skimp on the maintenance whatever you do, even if it means soup and bread only, (and no beer), for dinner for a fortnight !

Old 06-10-2010, 09:23 PM

Got it on the road, took it to the local car show and a few issues came up. The car shakes a bit, most likely from the tires sitting on the lift, even though those tires are practically brand new (6 years ago) they still even have the nubbies. The power steering gets a little noisy towards full rotation, probably needs fluid. The tranny was leaking in the garage so the tranny fluid probably needs a check but it ran beautifully. The worst of the issues was that the brake pedal slowly made its way to the floor on my trip to the show and the car began pulling to the right when braking. The passenger rear brakes were smoking pretty good when I arrived. When I left, pressure came back to the pedal but it still pulls to the right when braking and it doesn't smoke, or at least as much.

I have to put the car on the lift and have a look at the rear brakes, what a PITA that will be with this jaguar rear. I read up and it doesn't seem like a nightmare of a job but it will definitely take some time. At least getting the calipers off won't be a huge deal, I just hope I won't have to replace a rotor.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

After sitting so long, those brake calipers need to come off indeed. (I've been watching alot of Wheeler Dealers) I bet the fluid is carmelized (mmmm, yummy) so a bleed job and new fluid is definitely called for after you take each caliper apart (I assume disc brakes in the rear?) and clean, then re-grease your caliper pins. Visually inspect your caliper piston too, make sure no mice got up there an nibbled on your good rubber.

It really sounds like the pressure to each corner is really uneven as you brake. Have a nice weekend tearing her apart...these are the good times you'll remember later on.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Look on the bright side. At least you are not having to do this job lying on your back in the pouring rain;-(

Sounds like stuck caliper and or failed acumulator, and if the handbrake was left on during storage it will be stuck.

If the car has been standing on its tyres for 6 years, then they will be flat bottomed and should be changed. Life of a tyre is 5 years anyhow.

The tyres will come back to you with running, but look to change them.

That is a great looking car your dad gave you, you need to put some time in to keep it great.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Whatever you do, DON'T ignore the brake problem. The car has been standing too long, and would seem to have a sticking piston or two in the rear brake calipers. The separate handbrake caliper are also probably seized up too. These were probably near to seizing before the car was stored. The main problem you have is that the rear brakes are inboard and very inaccessible. The later XJS of the 90s had the rear brakes moved outboard.

I had a seized piston on my 1980 XJ6, (identical suspension and brakes), on my way to a holiday with pedal sinking to the floor due to fluid boiling, and clouds of smoke from the rear. The heat got so intense it carbonised the piston seal, and also the diff seal. Only cure was rear suspension off and a full brake rebuild with rebuilt calipers and new discs, (plus the diff seals, of course). Handbrakes were also rebuilt at the same time.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM

aye carumba, yea the pulling has been going in and out, sometimes it brakes straight and sometimes it pulls now. The brakes have ceased to smoke, and I thought the pedal going to the floor issue disappeared from the one time it happened until it did it again today and the pressure slowly came back. I'm going to put it on the lift this week and check the fronts first and if I find nothing I guess I'll have to get my hands dirty and work the back, at least the calipers come off without having to disassemble the back of the car..