XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Quarter Windows Not Working 92 XJS Conv

Old 10-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quarter Windows Not Working 92 XJS Conv

Hi all

I tried searching for such a post but did not find any. Maybe being new here?
I recently purchased a 92 XJS Convertible and thought that the quarter windows were fixed until i read the manual.
The do not budge. What should I look for to cure this?
Are they electrically operated or mechanically driven by the top?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll know more soon when I tear into mine. But they are driven by electric motors and can be finicky. Interesting story... last year mine were erratic - the rear passenger's would work more often than not, but it was a guessing game. This year it quit working altogether. I tried moving it when it should have been going up in case there was a dead spot in the motor.

So enough was enough and it wasn't erratic now, it hadn't been working all summer. So a fellow forum member was parting out his car and I bought his motors (both sides, just in case). They came in the mail and I opened the package and took a look at them. Next day, I get in the car, put the top up for the cold morning commute... and what do you know, the window went up for the first time in months. Best fix ever - just ordered the parts and it fixed itself

But seriously, tomorrow its supposed to be nice, so I'm going to take her again, and we'll see if it still works.

One word of advice I followed when I noticed it was erratic was removing the outside screw that holds the trim piece in behind the window when its up. If the window gets stuck up and the screw is still in place, its very difficult to get the interior trim off to get to the window and motor. With access to that screw and 2 more you can get to behind the door, its very easy to get the trim off. I haven't been further than that though, so I can't help you yet as to exactly what to look for.

The following users liked this post:
Challenger_7 (10-10-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

On my 90, the pump assembly is located on the r/h side behind the seat inside the cubby. Look in the owner's manual for where the pump is on the 92. I am assuming that the 92 has the rear seat. There is a bank of 5 or 6 relays right beside the pump. One is quarter windows up and another is windows down. It may be that the 92 has the pump and relays relocated to the trunk below the battery. Like any of these relays, you may have to take the cover off and look at the tungsten contacts. They may be burned.

Look at the fuse chart in the owners manual to see if there is a fuse for the quarter windows. You might be dealing with just a fuse problem

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

92s gave no back seat, just a covered storage area with the pump inside. The quarter windows are electric, and digging out the motor is a pain.

My drivers side just failed for the third time since I bought her in 96. First time I fixed it, the next time I let the dealer do it. Now it's down again and I'm even further from a dealer. Had a mech look at it, he ordered two different motors that tested good on the bench and did nothing in the car. Now that I've moved, it's time to try again down here. We'll see; but I really don't have time or patience to do it myself, and between houses I'm also without a garage to work in.

Good luck with yours!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Challenger_7,

The rear windows are driven by a combination of an ECU output signal, Up & Down relays for each window, Circuit fuses and Motors. start by buying teh proper Jagaur Parts & Service Manual. This should be your number 1 purchase if you own an XJS. The hood circuitry and operation is described well in the manual and will enable you to diagnose and track down the problem.

Good luck

Paul

Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all for your contributions and comments.
Yes the pump is in the rear cabinet behind the seat and I had a peek at it, all relays are there as well as fuses.
I will check somehow on the relays to see if they are ok. Any quick and safe way to do that?
This morning I had a quick peek through the space available between the window and the body, and I could see a couple of loose wires below the passenger quarter window.
Also a cover on a cam or something like that, missing from there as compared to the other window, indicating that someone had tried working on the window.
I will try to have a go at it sometime soon, and would appreciate any feed back from any of you gentlemen, in case you did any further work and discovered anything.

Many thanks again.
Cheers

Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Try removing each relay and clean the contacts. Even pulling out and pushing in the relay a couple times will clean some corrosion from the plug.
If you hold your finger on the relay while operating the switch you should feel a small click. This will tell you the relay is working. It will not tell the condition of the contacts.
Buy a digital volt meter. You cant own a Jag without one.

Challenger_7 (10-12-2014)