XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Radiator Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Radiator Cooling Fans

Hello all! Haven't been around much, as Morris (89 XJS) got hit last month by an F-250. Left some scratch marks, but the real damage is that the steering is majorly wonky now.

Anyway, Morris keeps getting warm, especially when in heavy traffic. I hate heavy traffic, Morris seems to hate it too, so much so that today the temp gauge went about half-way between the top of the N and, well, the top of the gauge. I pulled over and let the engine cool off, eventually came back and stayed at the top of the N. I bled the coolant system, has no leaks, but I did notice some coolant came out of the reservoir tank behind the driver's wheel when I pulled over. It was also close to 90 degrees here in Denver CO, so we were both running warm.

I did manage to open the hood, and I noticed that the bigger passenger side fan was turning, while the smaller driver's fan on the radiator was not. Is the smaller driver's fan for something else, like when the AC system is running? Also, how would I know if the bigger passenger-side fan is turning as it should? I've had other cars, and it seemed to be turning slower than what I think it should turn.

Opinions, suggestions, and advice much appreciated.

Eskr

Old 05-18-2013, 03:04 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Eskr,

Bugga with teh hit, always a sad moment.

The understanding I am getting from your post is teh temp rises in slow/zero moving traffic?.

The large engine driving fan is hydraulically driven, and is a major issue with high running temps in those conditions. The way I have always tested them is shut the engine down, HOT, open the bonnet, flick the fan by hand (dont burn yourself on something hot) and it should rotate less than once. I know this is a ruffy test, but a hot fan clutch unit should have significant resistance to rotation.

The smaller electric fan is an "overheat" fan and fraught with issues right from new. Some markets have them wired as a thermo unit, some have them wired to the a/c, anyway they are a PITA at best.

I replaced all my V12,s (and some others) with a twin thermo unit from an Aussie Ford Falcon (about 1996 onward), and soooooo much better by a very long stretch. I wire the RH fan as thermo, and the LH as a/c, and even in our 45+c days, cool as asked on the gauges.

Radiator clogging (internally and externally) is another weak point of the V12 system. If you have not had the radiator professionally cleaned in the last 5 years, that would be more of a concern to me than the fans.

The 2 thermostats also need renewing from time to time, they work very hard and simply die.

The pressure cap, LH side on the metal header tank, is also a common failure item and 5 years or so is deemed about the life.

The list goes on, but is the main items I have had as "common" in my time.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-18-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you!

As I looked at the wiring, it seems that my smaller driver's side fan is indeed connected to the AC system which is, at the moment, empty. I hope to remedy this soon, and hopefully the fan will start working again. I'm assuming that because the compressor doesn't turn on, the fan itself won't turn on. I hope I am right on this.

Otherwise, Morris is quite happy and cool to be running when it's not 90+ degrees and having to sit around in traffic. Neither am I, come to think of it.

Eskr