XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear Fog Light Indicator - Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Fog Light Indicator - Is this normal?

Hi All,

Everytime I use the brakes, the rear Fog Light Indicator lights up on the dash. Is that normal? It just seems weird that it would light up everytime I brake, even with the driving lights off. The only other time it comes on is when I push the Rear Fog Light button on the dash (2nd one from the left). The manual didn't have much to say. Thanks for your help.

Ray

Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

The only thing that occurs to me is that a previous owner hotwired the rear fog lamps to come on with the break lights.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks Spikesaga! I'll check that out. You could be on to something because when I push the rear foglight button the third brakelight also comes on. According to the manual and the wiring digram that shouldn't be the case. I am also having trouble with my fuel gauge not working in spite of replacing the sending unit. It shares the same ground as the rear foglights!!! Could be an issue with that ground connection. I'll investigate this weekend.

Ray

Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RayJak
Thanks Spikesaga! I'll check that out. You could be on to something because when I push the rear foglight button the third brakelight also comes on. According to the manual and the wiring digram that shouldn't be the case. I am also having trouble with my fuel gauge not working in spite of replacing the sending unit. It shares the same ground as the rear foglights!!! Could be an issue with that ground connection. I'll investigate this weekend.

Ray
Hey Ray,

Yeah it looks like some pinhead thought it would look cool for the rear fogs to come on with the breaks (?)- I am all for logical, legitimate, well executed mods (like electric fans, cooling system enhancements, etc), but someone doing arts and crafts on a cars electrical system drives me nuts!!

You can download the cars electrical diagram for free at Jaguar electrical reference so you can fit it.

For the fuel gauge to work properly on our cars you will need to replace the anti-slosh module located behind the CD changer.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Yep, a new Anti-slosh module fixed the fuel gauge. I'm still puzzled about the fog light situation. I can't find any sign of someone splicing the wiring up make them come on. I need to go back and check the wiring diagrams again to see if something else might be causing it. My ABS light IS on.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RayJak
Yep, a new Anti-slosh module fixed the fuel gauge. I'm still puzzled about the fog light situation. I can't find any sign of someone splicing the wiring up make them come on. I need to go back and check the wiring diagrams again to see if something else might be causing it. My ABS light IS on.

Glad you fixed the gauge. Mine is *almost* accuarate-I notice that I can put 16 gallons on a "empty" tank..just a fact of life with Jag gauges-but its very nice to have a very good idea of how much gas you have !!

I have to say that I have not heard of anyone else with a 94-96 with that rear fog light problem, so I imagine that it must be a deliberate "modification".....have you checked the wiring to the switch (carefull with the wood trim) to see if the wiring there is intact??

Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Sometimes a bad earth (US=ground) can cause the electricity to find funny paths to earth. Either that or the wiring loom has broken cables in it.