XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Recent auction price

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
As I remember, the '94 convertible on that auction in Anaheim was a straight six.
I now have a V12 update from this on-going Mecum auction from Kansas City.
It was the turn for a '92 silver coupe V12 to hit the red carpet. The car was really impressive, shining as beautiful as that convertible that started this thread. It started at $3,000.00 and went up to $4,750.00 with no additional bids. The owner chose not to let it go for that amount (no idea what the reserve was), so "the bid goes on". Being a coupe, plus being in the midwest and maybe the engine option may explain the lesser attraction compared to the convertible in Anaheim the other day.
Depending on the mileage, I'm not surprised. The reality is the market value for that car is $5-10k, so the price was not far off the bottom or the range. 5K should get you a daily driver in very tidy condition and 10k should get you a pristine car.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

If memory serves me correctly ( relying on the memory gets a bit stretchy as every year goes by ), was there not a time when one could pick up a used E type very cheaply? Just seems like I remember pretty clearly used E-types being sold very cheaply in the late 60's, 70's and into the early 80's. Anyone have any direct experience or stories related to this I would love to hear about it. Oh, and I have heard after the E type came out how cheap a nice XK was-now a XK is right there value wise with a E type.

I think it is fair to say that if the XJS had not followed in the footsteps of the E type, was also available at the beginning as a convertible and was more reliable in it's early stages then we would not be having this conversation about the XJS and it's value. I get that the XJS is and never will be a E, but in my opinion it really is starting to come into it's own. I think about the early 70's Camaro and what a great car that really was. Strange thing is you seldom hear about the early 70's Camaro because it fell in the shadow of the first generation Camaro. Now that is changing partly because the first generation Camaro's have gotten to be so expensive and also because I think people to some degree are getting tired of going to car shows and seeing 7 to 10 first generation Camaro's at every show. My point is there was a time when you could pick up a decent used early 70's Camaro very cheaply but that time has passed. Yes, a second generation Camaro will never be as popular as a first but they are starting to be appreciated in their own right.

What I have really come to appreciate about the XJS is it's distinctiveness. It is a Jaguar but has it's own character. It has allowed many of us to be part of the Jaguar family without having to mortgage our first born to do so. Buy an XJS because you can afford it and love it for how it will capture your heart at any price.

Just remember there were those that bought a used E type back in the day when you could not hardly give them away and almost everyone thought they were nuts and you know what, no one thinks they are nuts today. Buy and enjoy what you want (yes we are all limited by budgets and many of us got an XJS because that was or is the only way we can get into an affordable Jaguar) but don't count this big cat out. It surprised everyone by sticking around for 21 model years and it will continue to surprise many well into the future.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 720 Likes on 553 Posts

The E-type could be had for cheap pretty much shortly after it's run ("collector cars" weren't the "in thing" then) and started to really climb toward the late 80's (about 16 years after their run) we are getting well past that as XJ-S and XJS owners, I bought my car for $3800 about 5/6 years ago and have done some major improvements in performance/appearance/drivability and guess what? I could get about $3800 for it. The XJS's gaining value and being a high $$ collectible isn't going to happen and I know that's not what most here want to hear but I'm afraid IMHO it's a reality. I'm more then good with that as I own the car because I love it, I love it draws attention wherever I go and that I can cruise effortlessly at 120 MPH all day if I so choose. Honestly I hope Richard Rawlings does something with the alleged Cannonball run car as it's publicity ads validation to what most here already know, it's really (in spite of it's flaws at times) one hell of a nice, smooth, fast, classy automobile!