XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Remove Warning Light Cover Face Lift Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Remove Warning Light Cover Face Lift Car

After removing the instrument panel on a face lift car, I would like to remove the warning light strip that is viewed by the driver A further description is:It is about 12 inches long and 3/4 inch high and about 1/16 wide and carries the warning messages.
I don't know if is glued in or welded in or if it is a snap-in part or if it can be removed and if it can be removed, how?
Appreciate your help

Old 02-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

It is held by small nodes on each end. They have been glued. In order to release the strip turn the binnacle sideways. You should see a small gap between the strip and the binnacle. Put a small shim at the end of the strip and slowly apply pressure to remove it. It will break free. Do the same for the opposite end. I did this in rebuilding the instrument cluster on my 93 coupe. Why are you removing the strip?

Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Thank you; your instructions were perfect! I am using T5 LED's to illuminate the strip. They have eight individual lights per head. Removed their base, straighten the wires and soldered them to the Jaguar Lights. Tight fit going though the hole and bent wires. bulbs did not face properly. Taking the strip off allowed me to align each individual bulb properly and with ease. Even with eight brilliant lights 3/8" from strip the result is not intense, but satisfactory. My opinion is the strip is not as transparent as you might expect for this display. Getting closer to the strip did not seem to brighten the display and the eight individual lights started to show.
Thanks again for your help; it was appreciated.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I used an LED that fit the housing on the back of the binnacle. I bought them from Superbrights. They are located in St Louis. I did not need to remove the front strip. I can send you a photo of one of the LED bulbs, if you want. Seeing you have already put in the LED bulbs, you probably don't want to mess with the exchange of LED parts.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:03 PM

I have dealt with Superbright, but find the same bulbs out of China are substantially the same and at a lower price. I use T10 for the instrument lights. They have four lights on top and 4 on each side. I also use T10's for the warning lights; they have 8 lights on the top. Both types are very bright and put out a white light. Jaguar should have made a change in the lights somewhere in their ten year run. The warning strip is too dark and restricts the light and the light bulbs are about a 1/2 candle power, if that.
I also have a black 1993 coupe with 63K miles. I like playing with electronic and Jaguar serves that need....any jaguar!!!!

Old 02-12-2017, 11:58 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by MHF25
I used an LED that fit the housing on the back of the binnacle. I bought them from Superbrights. They are located in St Louis. I did not need to remove the front strip. I can send you a photo of one of the LED bulbs, if you want. Seeing you have already put in the LED bulbs, you probably don't want to mess with the exchange of LED parts.
Superbrights is a great place for LED lighting and the prices are resonable