XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Repairing Seat lumbar bladder.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts
Default Repairing Seat lumbar bladder.

Seat Lumber repair

Both of seat lumbar air bags were leaking. When I removed them the drivers side the hose had totally disintegrated it was in 4 pieces, the passengers side was leaking where the pipe entered the bag but not as bad. I bought another one off eBay and when it arrived upon testing was also leaking where the pipe went into the bag.

All 3 pipes were brittle close to the bag, I suspect this is a result of the seat heaters as both seat back rest webbings were also brittle at the top.

Here is the passenger seat webbing you can see how brittle it is and it tears easily. So I replaced the webbing on both seats while I was at it. I used soft (250e I think) 50mm webbing and put the wife to work (she is better with the sewing machine than me) to sew it up.

The hose clamps do not need to be completely undone as the are under hooks on the seat frame. Just loosen them and the pump comes out.

I replaced the hoses with 4mm washer/vacuum hose and used small cable ties to hold it in place.

This is where all 3 hoses has broken.

Use a dremel to cut the crimp or you will damage the bag, I cut both sides and gently prized the crimp off.

There is a pin in there to prevent the hose from being squashed when crimped. Also the hose inside the bag is brittle and stuck to the inside of the bag. Use a small jewelers screwdriver and gently break the old hose while holding the bag upside down and the old hose will start to fall out.

Once it's all out insert the pin in the end of the new hose, I also tapered the end of the new hose to make it easier to insert into the bag.

Sikaflex 291 is a must for this job, this stuff sticks to almost anything.

Coat the hose liberally before inserting into the bag, and liberally coat the whole area before adding the cable tie.

Let it dry for a couple of days before reinstalling everything. It is easier to install the lumbar bag before you re-install the pump and solenoid.

I now have 2 working lumbar adjusters.

Last edited by warrjon; 09-02-2017 at 12:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Greg in France (09-02-2017), RickE (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Great repair and writeup.