XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Replace Seat Covers and Carpeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace Seat Covers and Carpeting

As a brand-new owner of a 1995 XJS 2+2 I want to replace the leather seat covers, possibly front and back. I also want to replace all carpeting.
Does anybody have any recommendation as to where to purchase these items?
THX

Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I've found a number of good items on craiglist and ebay, but search online for XJS parts, you'll find a number of providers.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Hello!

I am in the process of doing the same thing. My car is originally cream "NDR",and I decided to go for barley, since the cream gets too nasty too quick.

I ordered the two front leather seats from Autoberry and on top of the price they advertise for the full leather seats, I paid them an extra amount to make sure that even the side panels are 100 percent leather too. I have not had them installed yet, but I am very happy with them.
I am going to have the rear seat and all the trim re-dyed to match the new barley leather...and there are some web-sites that sell auto carpet that I have been getting samples from, since I just want to replace the pieces of carpet in bad shape to save money

Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't ordered but looked into it. When I do I think I'll go with BAS Jag. They sent me samples that I was impressed with. Can't speak to the finished product of course but worth some investigation I would bet. They're in Washington state.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Thank you - excellent leads. I have contacted Autoberry - very nice guy (David); they will send me a sample. I am still trying to get a hold of BAS Jag - so far, nobody has picked up the phone.
I am re-doing the seat covers and all carpeting and will let you know how things turn out.
Spikepaga: Can you let me know how the 2 front seats from Autoberry turn out?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by newguy
Thank you - excellent leads. I have contacted Autoberry - very nice guy (David); they will send me a sample. I am still trying to get a hold of BAS Jag - so far, nobody has picked up the phone.
I am re-doing the seat covers and all carpeting and will let you know how things turn out.
Spikepaga: Can you let me know how the 2 front seats from Autoberry turn out?
I had that problem with them too but once I got them they were very helpful and sent me a sheet with interior carpet, boot carpet, vinyl for seats, and leather for seats.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I have done a set of front seats with covers from autoberry....

I was amazed at the quality and detail of the covers. I skimped and went for leatherette..... If I was doing it again I'd go for leather. The leatherette looks perfect, it just doesn't breathe, so you get a bit of a hot back sometimes.

I fitted the covers myself, and I am for sure not an upholsterer. It was a really painful job, about 16 hours per seat, but I assume a pro would be much faster. I was pleased with the result. My XJS is never going to be a show car, but the interior is now quite smart. There is a pic here......

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_...6/IMG_2427.JPG

There were a few wrinkles in the covers in the first week or so, but they went away after leaving it out in the sun a few times.

I'd be interested in feedback on the carpets...... thats my next job

Old 05-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Here is an update to my search for a good replacement upholstery and carpet set. I was searching for the color coffee which is not widely available as it turns out.

autoberry.com
friendly guy, $750.00 for the front seats, $750.00 for the rear seats, set for $1400.00, the leather is the thinnest of all samples I received and it shows virtually no grain which makes it look like vinyl (it is not), they currently do not carry the carpet set but plan to do soon (as of March 7, 2012).

basjaguartrim.com
Over three weeks I called about 5 times, left one voice mail, sent one eMail without any response. I called one last time and behold - somebody picked up the phone. Once in contact the person on the other end was nice and helpful. It still took another 2 weeks for the samples to arrive. They do not carry the color coffee, but they sent other swatches for the upholstery and carpet. The leather is slightly thicker then autoberry.com. I do not have any pricing as it does not matter anyway - if I cannot get a hold of them and they do not respond to eMail or phone calls, I am certainly do no trust with an order.

worlduph.com
nice and very knowledgable staff, 2 front seats for $1450.00, armrest $85.00 (they may only be able to send a leather piece for your local upholsterer to cut, stitch and install), carpet set for $600.00, sell leather and vinyl by the yard (vinyl is for the door panels), leather is slightly thicker then basjaguartrim.com.

gahh.com
the priciest of the bunch: front seats $2109.00 (94-96), $1743.00 (88-94), $1468.00 (75-88), armrest $138.00, carpet $908.00, extra vinyl material $57.00/yard, extra leather full hide (60 sq.ft) $365.00, their samples were the largest of them all, leather is very thick (same as paulsjaguar.com),

paulsjaguar.com
front seats $1350.00, armrest has to be send in they replace the leather for $130.00, I do not have their pricing for the carpet, leather is very thick.

Lots to consider. I will put off my decision for a few months as the Jagmeister will get a paint job and the wood trims refinished.

The following 2 users liked this post by newguy:
bullittandy (03-17-2015), sacara (11-23-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update on Seat Covers and Carpeting

HiN Planing to do the same on a 1988 XJS Hess. Do you have updates on this?

Myself I looke at Lakewell in Belgium for the carpet but they don,t do Hess modified XJS and nether the trunk.

Thanks,

Dorin

Old 11-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Unhappy

Sorry - I have never made the purchase. Still considering it though. Will check out Lakewell in Belgium.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:15 AM
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by newguy
Here is an update to my search for a good replacement upholstery and carpet set. I was searching for the color coffee which is not widely available as it turns out.

autoberry.com
friendly guy, $750.00 for the front seats, $750.00 for the rear seats, set for $1400.00, the leather is the thinnest of all samples I received and it shows virtually no grain which makes it look like vinyl (it is not), they currently do not carry the carpet set but plan to do soon (as of March 7, 2012).

basjaguartrim.com
Over three weeks I called about 5 times, left one voice mail, sent one eMail without any response. I called one last time and behold - somebody picked up the phone. Once in contact the person on the other end was nice and helpful. It still took another 2 weeks for the samples to arrive. They do not carry the color coffee, but they sent other swatches for the upholstery and carpet. The leather is slightly thicker then autoberry.com. I do not have any pricing as it does not matter anyway - if I cannot get a hold of them and they do not respond to eMail or phone calls, I am certainly do no trust with an order.

worlduph.com
nice and very knowledgable staff, 2 front seats for $1450.00, armrest $85.00 (they may only be able to send a leather piece for your local upholsterer to cut, stitch and install), carpet set for $600.00, sell leather and vinyl by the yard (vinyl is for the door panels), leather is slightly thicker then basjaguartrim.com.

gahh.com
the priciest of the bunch: front seats $2109.00 (94-96), $1743.00 (88-94), $1468.00 (75-88), armrest $138.00, carpet $908.00, extra vinyl material $57.00/yard, extra leather full hide (60 sq.ft) $365.00, their samples were the largest of them all, leather is very thick (same as paulsjaguar.com),

paulsjaguar.com
front seats $1350.00, armrest has to be send in they replace the leather for $130.00, I do not have their pricing for the carpet, leather is very thick.

Lots to consider. I will put off my decision for a few months as the Jagmeister will get a paint job and the wood trims refinished.

I bought carpets here : World Upholstery & Trim, American Manufacturer of Car/Auto Upholstery, Carpet, Convertible Tops, Car Seats, Headliners & Door Panel Parts for Classic European Cars like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, Fiat, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo No problem with communication and delivery. leather work made me local upholsterer. It was cheaper.

The following users liked this post:
sacara (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Thanks Roman, have seen them and look one of the best solutions for sure. Just quite expensive as the customs down here are not joking lately and would add me once more the VAT (19%) and Import TAX (around 10%). Just had that experience with some wooden console and knob from US.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:12 PM

Hi Roman, guys (if any other Hess owner).

Question If your car is a Hess & Eisenhardt does it have a wheatherstrip on the quarter glass (small rear window)?

Mine does not have one. Looks like rain would go through and than some wehere in the car (or under).

Thanks,

Dorin