XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Replaced Warning Cluster bulbs with LEDs

Old 08-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replaced Warning Cluster bulbs with LEDs

I just finished replacing all the warning cluster bulbs with LED's on my 93 XJS.

That was a MUCH harder project than it should have been. I purchased a set of LEDs' from V12s.com, and they looked like they would just plug into a socket to replaced a bulb.

I believe they would, if you have DAC6477 lamps. Those appear to be a plastic carrier which accept push in bulbs. Then the carrier is inserted and twisted to lock in place in the cluster.

My vehicle has DAC6476 bulbs/carrier assemblies. But I didn't know that until I had everything opened up for access. I tried pulling the bulb out of what would normally have been a socket, but it wouldn't budge.

I eventually determined that the bulb leads are SOLDERED to contacts that lock into the plastic twist lock carriers.

Fortunately, I discovered that I could depress a locking tab on each of the contacts in the carrier, and push the bulb and contracts out. Then I could clip off the bulb leads, and re-insert the contacts back into the plastic carrier.

And then I could push the LEDs into the carrier/contacts assembly, and solder the leads to the contacts.

What should have taken just a few minutes of removing and replacing bulbs, turned into about 4 hours of work.

I'll have to say, the design of the warning light cluster assembly is astoundingly poor. I think it would be hard to come up with something which is more likely to fail than that thing. Using a flexible plastic circuit board where you have metal contacts, with spring tension, being twisted to lock into position is bound to be trouble. And sure enough, some of the copper foil on my unit had already started to tear, probably from previous bulb replacements.

I'm pleased with the results. I can now see my turn signal indicator lights in bright daylight with the top down. The same is true for all the other lights, of course.

Now I have a new problems though. The "Sport" mode light is on dimly all the time. It comes on bright when Sport mode is actually engaged. But the Lamp is dimly lighted all the time. I believe that has been going on for a long time. That was the only bulb out of the cluster which was burnt out.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 AM

Update: It appears that I'm wrong about DAC6477 working. Those are apparently a bigger bulb used elsewhere in the instrument cluster.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default did same on my 86 xjs

I also bought the instrument led bulbs for my xjs. I Had to shave a little plastic from the base of a few so they would fit. I added another earth to the instrument pack as recommended elsewhere. I am very happy with the results. Just remember they dont "dim" like incandescent bulbs.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by tikicat
I also bought the instrument led bulbs for my xjs. I Had to shave a little plastic from the base of a few so they would fit. I added another earth to the instrument pack as recommended elsewhere. I am very happy with the results. Just remember they dont "dim" like incandescent bulbs.

That is what I thought too. I thought an LED was either on, or off. But my "Sport" mode LED is lit dimly all the time, and comes on brightly when I actually engage "Sport" mode. So, somehow it has at least two brightness levels. I have no idea why.