XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

replacing windshield seal - can this be done at home?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by J_C_R
Thanks for that Warren!

So, use PE on the window to seal joint. What would you recommend to use on the seal to metal joint, same stuff?

Secondly, should I put the PE on the window to seal joint before I put it back in the car, or after? I've heard that some people put it all back together, then lift up the outside of the seal and squeeze sealant in the joint, and I've heard others seal the glass to rubber seal joint before reinstalling in the car.

Thanks again,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
I installed the screen dry, using a little soapy water to get the screen in. Then the next day when it was dry I masked the car and window, then squeezed PU sealant between the rubber and metal, then between the rubber and glass. Let it dry until the sealant is just starting to set and unmask.

You will need a lot of rags and white spirit or turpentine to clean this stuff up, it is messy and if you leave it on the paint is very difficult to remove. Glass is easy just use a razor blade to remove it from glass.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

This is something I will have to look into. I know from past experience that taking a bonded screen out is not easy and as mentioned unlikely to be reusable. My problem is the rubber looks obviously knackered and needs replacing. The car needs respraying so need to decide on a best way forward.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for that Warren. If time permits I'm going to put it in tomorrow and will give it a few days to dry then proceed with the PE.

Thanks!

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 10-26-2017, 02:39 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

I thought that also, but then referred to the shop manual, it tells you to place the seal center it on the bottom of the frame opening and work it evenly around to the top.

I first put a bead of mastic around the frame (clean well first of course) and let it set up for a couple of minutes, then (worked a bit backwards) started at the top center, and worked out to each cornoer taping to hold in place as I went (otherwise it may fall down). then worked down the sides and then on the bottom. if you have some bulging or what seems like extra work from cetnter of top and bottom to each corner, that will take out the slack and get the seal into the corners, then let it set up a short before removing tape.

The glass will be placed into the bottom grove first, and I used a tool called a bone(automotive body or glass shop may have one to sell ya, will post a link what a bone is) to help getting the seal lipped on the glass. and worked around each side then on the top. check inside to see that seal is over glass.

when done with that I then mastic into the seal on the outside only. tape off around the body and add mastic between the seal and frame, the mastic between the seal and glass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-AUTO-GLAS...kAAOSwZKBZLFPK

Old 10-26-2017, 02:45 AM

From the Work Manual, may not have coppied completely but wiil give you an idea and were to look in the manual.

WINDSCREEN - FRONT
RENEW 76.81.01
Open the door. Drill out and remove the LH windscreen
to A post pop rivets. Displace and
remove the trim from the LH A post.
Repeat for the windscreen
Remove the wiper arms and air inlet grille.
Disconnect the washer pipe and multi plug connector.
Remove the assembly from the vehicle.
Undo and remove the lower trim finisher securing
screws. Displace and remove the trim from the screen
rubber (4 Fig
Remove the interior mirror.
Fit masking tape to the aperture.
Displace and remove the lace insert from the
windscreen rubber.
Using a suitable implement, break the seal around the
screen.
Gently, but firmly pushing from inside the car, remove
the screen (Fig 2).
Displace and remove the seal. Place the screen and
seal aside.
Place masking to the fascia top surface. Clean and
inspect the aperture.
Using a skeleton gun, apply sealant to the screen
aperture (Fig 3).
Fit the screen seal to the aperture (starting at the top
centre of the screen), pull into the corners, fully seat.
Apply soap solution to the seal to assist screen
fitment.
Fit the screen to the rubber - bottom edge first - use
glazing tool 18G 468 to seat the glass to the rubber.
Apply sealant to the screen rubber.
Using tool 18G 468, fit the lace to the rubber.
Clean the screen and surrounding area.
Remove the masking from the fascia and aperture.
Clean the rubber. Apply soap solution to the rubber.
Fit the lower trim to the rubber - fully seat - align the
holes.
Fit and tighten the securing screws.
Fig 1
Fig 2
Fig 3
BODY
Refit the wiper assembly, reconnect the
multi plug and washer pipe.
Fit and tighten the air inlet grille retaining nuts.
Refit the wiper arms -3 Fig 1
Apply soft soap to the screen rubber.
Fit the LH into position - lip under the
screen rubber.
Position the trim to the LH A post - align the fixing
holes. Secure with new pop rivets.
Repeat the procedure for the trim finisher.
Close the door.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by daverb
I thought that also, but then referred to the shop manual, it tells you to place the seal center it on the bottom of the frame opening and work it evenly around to the top.

I first put a bead of mastic around the frame (clean well first of course) and let it set up for a couple of minutes, then (worked a bit backwards) started at the top center, and worked out to each cornoer taping to hold in place as I went (otherwise it may fall down). then worked down the sides and then on the bottom. if you have some bulging or what seems like extra work from cetnter of top and bottom to each corner, that will take out the slack and get the seal into the corners, then let it set up a short before removing tape.

I didn't do mine this way, because most of the seals do not fit exactly as the original and this can cause the screen to not sit in the rubber correctly.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
I didn't do mine this way, because most of the seals do not fit exactly as the original and this can cause the screen to not sit in the rubber correctly.
I had no trouble doing it that way and the seal fit perfect

Old 11-01-2017, 08:01 AM

Daverb, thanks for that! I'll give some thought to which method to use...

Looks like Friday is the day I'll take a swing at it.

I've read that some people use insulated wire as the "string", and others use weed wacker line. Since I don't have a week wacker I guess I'll use wire since I can see using that again.

I would take it one isn't any better than the other?

Thanks,
John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Just a follow-up on my windshield replacement. Due to the injuries sustained from a separated shoulder, I was not able to get the windshield back on myself. I hired the job out, and the new seal looks to be properly installed. The bad news is that there is still water leaking into the car.

The leak becomes visible when it drips from somewhere under the dash onto my (drivers side) feet. In turns, it will drip more, and I can see water running down the side panels directly below the where the dash ends.

This only happens after a good rain.

The issue isn't the a/c compressor, since I removed power from it to help isolate the problem.

Getting back to the windshield, while it looks like the guy did a good job putting it in, I have no idea if he used any sealant. So, next step is to get a hold of some polyurethane sealant and apply that.

Any recommendations as to a particular brand?

Thanks!

John
1987 XJ-S V12