XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Replacment Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replacment Rims

Fellas,

I am looking into replacing my 95 XJS rims. They are the spoke ones that came with the car. How would I know which ones would fit? I am basically looking into BBS rims that look similiar but are much bigger. Do you guys know which size would fit my car?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by mannymux
Fellas,

I am looking into replacing my 95 XJS rims. They are the spoke ones that came with the car. How would I know which ones would fit? I am basically looking into BBS rims that look similiar but are much bigger. Do you guys know which size would fit my car?

Hi Manny, from your picture I can not tell what rims you have on your 95..from here they look like earlier starfish wheels....you should have five spoke 16 inch wheels or 20 spoke 16 inch wheels.

If I may make a friendly suggestion, I would look at MANY pictures of what this vehicle looks like with non-stock wheels before going that route. It's your car and you should do what pleases you, BUT wheels are very very tricky. Specially on what basically is a 1975 Model year vehicle.

Good luck!!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hi Manny, from your picture I can not tell what rims you have on your 95..from here they look like earlier starfish wheels....you should have five spoke 16 inch wheels or 20 spoke 16 inch wheels.

If I may make a friendly suggestion, I would look at MANY pictures of what this vehicle looks like with non-stock wheels before going that route. It's your car and you should do what pleases you, BUT wheels are very very tricky. Specially on what basically is a 1975 Model year vehicle.

Good luck!!
Ok,

These are my rims. I was basically looking for the same rims but that are bigger. I am not trying to change the appearance of the car but I would love bigger wheels. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Replacment Rims-%24-kgrhqzhjeke914i-ks-bpl-ovh9tg%7E%7E60_58.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Good luck!!
These are something like what I would like to get but HREs are almost $7000.00 for the set. Any other suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Replacment Rims-hre.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

These are something like what I would like to get but HREs are almost $7000.00 for the set. Any other suggestions?
Manny are your wheels 15 inch or 16 inch?? IF I am not mistaken yours are 15inch wheels from a earlier model. I could be wrong not being a expert on wheels.Could you confirm the size of your wheels?. No 95 came with a 15 inch that I know of. Most 95/96 models have one of these three 16 inch models : (I would suggest one of these three)

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-13-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Ok,

These are my rims. I was basically looking for the same rims but that are bigger. I am not trying to change the appearance of the car but I would love bigger wheels. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Those are commonly known as "Lattice" or "Sport Lattice" wheels.

Jaguar used them in 15x6.5", 16x7", and 16x8" sizes. The 16" variants, especially the 16x8, are rare.... but keep looking and you might get lucky.

I know of one XJS running the 17x8 wheels from a '95-97 XJR....looks good!

Cheers
DD

Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

i have the bbs lm style wheel with 17 by 8/9 245 275 and havent had any clearence problems with them so far

Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by calvindoesntknow
i have the bbs lm style wheel with 17 by 8/9 245 275 and havent had any clearence problems with them so far
Hi,

When did you get the wheels? I called BBS and they said that they have not made the wheels for a 95 Jaguar for many years now. Can you please post a pic of your car with those wheels? I liked the LM wheels. Thanks...

Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Manny are your wheels 15 inch or 16 inch?? IF I am not mistaken yours are 15inch wheels from a earlier model. I could be wrong not being a expert on wheels.Could you confirm the size of your wheels?. No 95 came with a 15 inch that I know of. Most 95/96 models have one of these three 16 inch models : (I would suggest one of these three)

I believe I have the 15" ones. did you see the pics I attached?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Manny! You looking to snipe my wheels on ebay??!!

I heard that the revolver wheels from the xk8 will fit the xjs. Even seen a pic of someones xjs with them somewhere in this forum.

I found a set of BBS wheels on ebay in Miami, came off of a xj8, but I think the offset is a bit different than the factory wheels. I posted a question in the tire and wheel section, but haven't had any replies yet.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...-92-xjs-74931/

Auction at the time of this post has 5 hours left, bids are at $152. I've decided not to get them. Only thing is they are pick up only. Not bad for me, as I'm just 2 hours north, but doubt if you want to drive down for them (unless you're down this way for vacation).

howlinowl

Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 AM

Here's the post with the revolvers:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...45-17-a-73388/

I'm thinking that if you can get an aftermarket wheel in the same width/diameter/bolt pattern/offset as the factory wheels, they should fit just as well as the factory revolvers. But, any change in any of the above variables may or may not cause problems....dunno how much clearance you have with the stock revolvers, so don't know if you can change anything.

howlinowl

Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by howlinowl
Here's the post with the revolvers:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...45-17-a-73388/
Yikes!! Those wheels look really modern on a XJ-S. it's not the most hideous wheel/car combo I have seen, but IMO, out of place.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

I believe I have the 15" ones. did you see the pics I attached?
Hi Manny!

I did see them, but based on what Doug shared ,they could be 16 inch wheels as Jaguar did make actually them.

If yours are 15" then someone (PO??) definitely swapped the original 16" out.....which is strange considering the obsession with huge, disproportionate wheels on low, smaller cars.......

I would not fit anything bigger than 16" myself because the XJS's that I have seen with even 17" wheels look too high of the ground. Specially the pre facelifts, at least the facelifts with 17" s don't look *as* bad because of the low bumpers.

Once saw a S3 e type like mine with 17's. That was more than just bad taste. That was visual aggression.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Yikes!! Those wheels look really modern on a XJ-S. it's not the most hideous wheel/car combo I have seen, but IMO, out of place.
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about them. At least here in South Florida, there are quite a few of old Chevy Caprices running around with oversized "dubs" on them. Plus they usually have some kind of garish flip-flop, metallic paint job on them. So anytime I see an "older styled" car with larger than factory wheels, it kinda reminds me of those.

But, if someone went to the trouble of tuning the suspension with stiffer single rate springs (any of those available for the XJS? 20 years ago I got a set for a '73 Mach 1 from Meyer Racing), stiffer anti-sway bar up front and one in the back (any? Addco supplied the ones for my Mach back in the day) and needed some taller wheels with lower sidewalls, I could probably overlook any bias on looks (function over form)

howlinowl

Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts
Default wheels

ENKEI ,, 18-9 frt, 18-10 rs. NITTO 275-18 all around,, spacers,, wide body rear arches.

no rubs,,( could be a little lower),, 16yrs and counting.

Attached Thumbnails Replacment Rims-jag-rodstr-001.jpg   Replacment Rims-jag-rodstr-003.jpg   Replacment Rims-r1-07368-021a.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Stay with the suggested Jaguar rims. When you or your heirs go to sell your XJS and it has "bling" wheels it won't sell. Folks who buy Jaguars prefer factory stock cars.
There is a fellow down the street from me with a nice '95 XJS 4.0 convertible with about 80,000 miles he wants to sell. Originally his car was BRG with the 5 spoke 16 inch wheels - very nice. He went out and added a rear wing, custom paint and the gaudiest gold and chrome "bling" wheels I have ever seen. He can't sell his car! It has been for sale (and advertised) for well over a year. I suggested to him that he re-install the stock wheels with a nice tire and sell the "bling" wheels for what he can get for them. I then offered him $5,000.00 for it as it sat (I was going to "restore" it and flip it) and he told me to pi$$ off and still his car sits...
Unmodified this car is a $10,000.00 to $12,000.00 XJS; modified it's unsellable.

Last edited by Roger95; 06-14-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

wheels are about,each his own idea, along with modded car, couple weeks back at car show(pic). BEST IN CLASS award plaque.

had a bunch of Jags, Ferrari, Audi,etc.

4 jag XJS, two converts,, 2 coupes ,ALL stock and nice cars, but kinda all the same(different colors).

anybody can BUY a ordinary car, few can buy a WELL DONE modded car.

Attached Thumbnails Replacment Rims-60.jpg   Replacment Rims-georgetown-show-plaque-001.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Conratulations on your trophy. I am nearing retirement (little more than year) and live in a tampa suburb.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Agreed that tastes are individual and a person should go with what he likes.

Agreed that Jags, especially older ones, look best when wheels (or any other appearance item) are kept towards the conservative side of things.

Agreed that heavily personalized cars are harder to sell.

IMHO.....

The wheels should compliment the car and not become the only focal point. If a passerby looks at your Jag and remarks "Holy cow, look at those f**kin' wheels", you've most assuredly gone too far.

You want people to walk past your Jag and say "That's a really great looking car".

Nowadays it seems that wheels are everything and the car counts for nothing. If you have the biggest (or flashiest) wheels, you win.

To each his own, of course. :-)

cheers
DD

Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger95
Stay with the suggested Jaguar rims. When you or your heirs go to sell your XJS and it has "bling" wheels it won't sell. Folks who buy Jaguars prefer factory stock cars.
Rarely have I seen a Jaguar-XJ-S or E-type that looks good with aftermarket wheels. Fortunately, I have not had the displeasure of coming across a XK150 with such wheels....Its like buying a pair of black Testoni oxford shoes and then adding silver laces to make them different.

I have seen only two XJS with non-stock wheels that worked. One had Corvette wheels, and I believe the other had XJ8 wheels.

I agree that ultimately any owner must do what pleases him, but just like its his prerogative to "mod" the car, it is also the prerogative of others to dislike it. I for one cringe every time I see a "modded" E type or XJS that has been made to look more like a Chevrolet Impala or Honda Civic depending on the particular owners preference.

Quick Reply: Replacment Rims