XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Restomod Jaguar XJS

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Restomod Jaguar XJS

I've always had this car idea that has nowadays actually become a reality. This is about restoring and modifying some of those older, vintage cars of one's preference while preserving its basic original appearance. Personally, I'd like to do this with a '67 Cougar, to restore it to concourse level, while upgrading the running gear, suspension, chassis, brakes, steering, etc. from, say, a late model Ford, like a 750 HP Shelby GT500. That would be magic, to have the original looks with the best of modern technology and "goodies" of a modern car, or what they are calling "Resto Mods" in current car auctions. This has become so popular that some well achieved Resto Mods are now exceeding the prices of perfectly restored to OEM spec, yet not modified cars, including cars that not long ago would've been a sacrilege to alter, such as some mid 60's Corvettes and even the original '53/'54 Vettes. Some of those Resto Mods that I've seen in these auctions are just genuinely true stuff of dreams. Envy, well yeah, OK, envy it must be.. .

OK, this is actually what this is about. How about a Resto Mod Jaguar XJS?
I'm just asking members here to pick one XJS model and to list his/hers preferred enhancements in areas that would be attractive enough to call everybody's attention, including some subtle body changes that won't change the car's original stance and that also make sense for you; something that would make of the car a completely unbeatable, celestial XJS vs. other Resto Mods in the place. In regards to what price it would fetch, well I couldn't really say because the XJS is a low priced car to begin with. Perhaps, with 2 or 3 well achieved, phenomenal examples, either on Mecum or with Barrett Jackson it may awaken XJS enthusiasm from the attendance. Nobody at these auctions, including commentators, ever deny how beautiful and attractive the XJS is to begin with. I can picture a 6.0 L convertible with such super enhancements and modern performance that would drop every jaw in the place and likely fetch some $75K, why not?

What's your truly impressive XJS?

Let's go!

Cheers,

Last edited by Forcedair1; 02-04-2018 at 02:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
Daim (02-04-2018), Flint Ironstag (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Good topic mate!

What would I change for a restomod? I think the body wpuld be left as is. It just is - in my eyes - perfect the way it looks. All I would do, would be modify the V12. Modern style 24V heads with hydraulic tappets and DOHC. Give it a good update with with modern AC compressor, electrical power steering pump (still remaining hydraulic), two drive by wire throttle bodies (or even 4 instead), modern EFI, some nice exhaust manifolds which actually have the same length tubes, and for the inside, add a dual zone AC system as well as pop out rear windows (vent) and turnable quarterlights for when you just want some fresh air but don't want the windows open. Seats heated and cooled. More cabin insulation. That would do me... I'll never do it but that is like what I would do IF I had the cash and were to pay someone

Old 02-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Basically, I'd want a Pro-Touring car, which, according to Wiki is:

"Pro-Touring is a style of classic muscle car with enhanced suspension components, brake system, drivetrain, and aesthetics, including many of the amenities of a new performance car. These modified muscle cars have been developed to function as well as, or to surpass, the capabilities of the foremost modern performance vehicles. Pro-Touring cars are built with an emphasis on function and are intended to be driven. Whether they are driven on the street, the race track, the drag strip, or through cones at an auto-cross is of indifference. Regardless of the location, pro-touring cars are destined to be driven."

Practically, that means a GM LS3 or new LT1 engine (400hp+ out of the box), a 6- or 8-speed tranny, beefed-up suspension and brakes and rear end, keep the leather/wood interior, new dash keeping old Jag cues, modern stereo, modern HVAC. For the body, maybe some ground effects and NACA ducts, but otherwise keep it subtle, with a full repaint, maybe a metallic spray.

Much of that is doable without a huge budget.

Padre

Old 02-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,147 Likes on 671 Posts

One change I'm doing on my XJS / Jacobra, is to remove the chunky thick rubber bumpers and create a slimmer chrome bumper using a matched set of chrome from another XJS flipping them over, and welding them together. Then smoothing the seam and rechroming, them to appear as they came that way. Subtle, but should cleanup one of the few issues that came with the era of the Federal mandate on energy absorbing bumpers.

Jack

Old 02-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,918 Likes on 1,667 Posts

They weren't energy absorbing bumpers.
They were driver awareness absorbing bumpers.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

some unusual mod ideas,HMM.

they are all over the place, deffinatly NO continuity between them!

different strokes for different folks, we shall see what happens?

Last edited by ronbros; 02-04-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

First, sorry for the length here.
I want to mention that this is not about “what would you like to add to your XJS”. It may be that some members here may not necessarily be familiar with this restomod concept, or at least with the many restomod cars seen on the current car auctions shown routinely on TV shows (Mecum and Barrett Jackson come to mind). Also, I see Jaguar owners, and more so XJS owners, are traditionally reluctant to make any changes to the car, but this here is not about “what would you like your XJS to be like” as it will not necessarily be aimed only at you or other Jaguar owners. This is rather to load an XJS with all the possible improvements, upgrades and modifications, technical and cosmetics, without departing from that great XJS original stance in order to call everybody’s attention, especially from car collectors in the front row with fat wallets and a garage full of collector cars and who do not hesitate to pay $150,000 for a restomod ’55 Chevy that would normally fetch only $50,000 if restored to only stock condition without the “mod” part. I know that most of these people at auctions already see Jaguars as special automobiles and who may just like to add such a special XJS example to their collection for, how about $120,000?

OK, my take. First, this has to be a convertible, what else… but then again, why not a super version of a coupe?
Also, I wouldn’t want this spectacular Jaguar restomod with running gear other than Jaguar. I would rather try to find like a wrecked new F-Type, preferable the SVR, to get all of its running gear pieces/electronics, which includes that supercharged 5.0L, 575 HP engine, capable of 3.5 sec 0 to 60, at least on the lighter-than-the-XJS F-Type, along with that great 8-speed auto ZF Tranny. The old XJS center console shifter most likely will not work with the new 8-speed ZF tranny, so it will need to go.

Carbon ceramic brakes with oversized rotors at the four corners (have you ever seen the rotors on a Ferrari Enzo?). Maybe ABS from the F-Type as well. Brand new or refurbished to as new everything in the suspension, steering, rear end, etc. The actual wheels is a matter of taste, however, the pre-face lift XJS wheels, including the dated Lattice wheels, do not belong in a car that’s being loaded with highly desirable, expensive upgrades. The wheels need to be super impressive (but not over 18”) and they need to blend well with the finished product.

A special paint job that includes 2000/3000 wet sanding to concourse level perfection. Color? That’ll be a debate there. Carnival Red? BRG? A totally new, non-XJS color? Any special artist’s paint work/touches? Maybe, dunno. All new leather and veneers inside.

A very special sound system with all the perks. If the car is a show car exclusively (i.e. no grocery bags in the trunk, ever, and if you golf take the “other car”…) then I’ll use the entire trunk and have an expert design a striking ICE system show piece (amps, sound processor, subwoofer, etc.) with special, refined attractive trim all around it. In the cabin we’ll have a subtle redesign of the center dash with the very least amount of change from stock presentation, just enough to accommodate for a dual-din, multifunction receiver with TFT display, Blue Tooth, GPS and a large internal digital music and video storage, plus USB access. All state of the art component speakers with special, aimed tweeters. The more expensive restomods typically feature similar ICE systems.

OK, I think I’ll stop here because, even getting $120K for this car, may just fall short of the cost to do all this. I don’t know how these people do this, but I keep seeing restomod cars with most of above equipment, mods and expensive paint jobs selling for only $80,000 and exceeding their own “reserve” amount. Are they really making any money? The commentators say that it cost restomod shops twice as much to do a restomod than just restoring to original stock form because you're not just replacing parts, but you're also cutting, grinding and modifying parts to make them fit where they're not supposed to fit.

The following here only if I have enough money left. I think that I'd like to work a little on a very smart and subtle cleaning of the body lines around the headlights. Rounding off the sharp edges, giving the front a little slanted angle profile, but just enough so it doesn't change its XJS character. I'll see if I'm capable of drawing this to see what it may look like. I'd also like to add mesh grilles, upper and lower the way I've done mine. Finally, in case it is a face lift car, it must have the later XJS rear spoiler because it really enhances the car. It may be similar with the pre-face lift car.

Cheers,

Old 02-05-2018, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1

OK, I think I’ll stop here because, even getting $120K for this car, may just fall short of the cost to do all this. I don’t know how these people do this, but I keep seeing restomod cars with most of above equipment, mods and expensive paint jobs selling for only $80,000 and exceeding their own “reserve” amount. Are they really making any money?
Extremely unlikely, IMO

The commentators say that it cost restomod shops twice as much to do a restomod than just restoring to original stock form because you're not just replacing parts, but you're also cutting, grinding and modifying parts to make them fit where they're not supposed to fit.

I'm tangentially involved with a resto-mod...the type which you describe.... of an older Mustang. No DIY work in this case; all work being done at a well known resto-mod shop. To give some perspective, the cost of the project is heading towards $300,000, possibly a bit more.

It's a custom-specification dream car. There's no anticipation whatsoever of recouping the money spent....or even being easy to sell if that decision is made, which isn't likely.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
89 Jacobra (02-06-2018), ronbros (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

old saying Jack up the gas cap and put a new car under it!!!

to add there is a custom XJS on JL site called JLO.

Last edited by ronbros; 02-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Extremely unlikely, IMO

I'm tangentially involved with a resto-mod...the type which you describe.... of an older Mustang. No DIY work in this case; all work being done at a well known resto-mod shop. To give some perspective, the cost of the project is heading towards $300,000, possibly a bit more.

It's a custom-specification dream car. There's no anticipation whatsoever of recouping the money spent....or even being easy to sell if that decision is made, which isn't likely.

Cheers
DD
I believe you. The goods you see on these cars look pretty expensive to me, especially the later super power plants with all the electronics and all the incorporating R&D that it takes. But, actually, does it make sense that they're most losing money, I mean, everybody who's doing this? Why would they continue to do it. Besides, there's such a thing as a "Reserve" on these auctions, so they do not have to let any car go at a loss. In fact, I see some of them do go to "bid goes on" to later negotiate some compromise.

Is this Mustang yours? I'd like to see some pics when is finished, if possible.
(and, perhaps, the ending $$ cost).

Thanks,

Old 02-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I will slowly be converting mine to a restomod project. Not of the high dollar like some but I draw inspiration from youtube videos like DIY garage, roadster shop and low mileage.

my subtle dream will be converting to megasquirt to get rid of the ***** wiring and all unnecessary hoses. Converting to individual throttle bodies, no ac or anything, 5 speed transmission, updated but original interior ( like singer porsche), wide tires, GETTING RID OF THE BUMPERS.

sorry, those ugly bumpers will be going. Updating the lights to LED's. Switching suspension components somehow. I don't like how the bearing creates a lot of issues with rim selection, so maybe a corvette knuckle conversion or something of the like.

that's basically what I'm aiming for my restomod

Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Also getting rid of all the chrome, like the lister xjs. The chrome dates it and I'm too young to be fond of it lol

Old 02-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

maybe so but chrome is making a come back with new cars!

just look around, things come and go , but somehow stay the same.

its the difference in generations, that dates you!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

My idea of a restomod...

Pre facelift coupe.
British racing green and some chrome.
TWR front and rear bumpers, no rear spoiler, bonnet louvres and VW Golf Mk1 fender flares.
17 or 18” wheels with 275s on the back.
Big front brakes with Jag X308 outboard 12.8” rear brakes.
Round after market dials and Ipad navigation.
Beige interior.
Extractors and free flow exhaust.
7.0-7.5L V12 with chev TPI style inlet manifold so you can actually see the engine.
AC compressor mounted at the side of the engine.
Subtle bonnet hump to clear the inlet manifold.
6 speed auto.
Suspension.

Elegant but purposeful.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Modern style 24V heads with hydraulic tappets and DOHC.
AJ6 heads? I have read a little and still can’t figure out if these are viable or not

Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

I believe you. The goods you see on these cars look pretty expensive to me, especially the later super power plants with all the electronics and all the incorporating R&D that it takes. But, actually, does it make sense that they're most losing money, I mean, everybody who's doing this? Why would they continue to do it.

These super-duper resto-mods are either from very competent DIYers with some disposable income or, in the case of the Mustang I mentioned, very 'well heeled' types who pay to have the work done on a "price is no object" basis. Well, almost. I'm sure everyone has their limits !

Either way, it's all about building a "dream"; a car exactly how they want it. Everything custom specification. Problem is, these highly individualized custom builds often don't have a lot of appeal to future buyers.....who want to drive their own dream, not somebody else's. Thus they often sell for way under cost-to-build. In some cases they're hard to sell, period.

Is this Mustang yours? I'd like to see some pics when is finished, if possible.
(and, perhaps, the ending $$ cost).

Thanks,
No, not mine. I'm the guy getting squeamish because my V12 conversion project....almost done.....just touched $10,000

Remind me for pics in about 12-15 months!

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Something to consider is that, by the time you get this dream restomod XJS at such a high cost, then the car has really become an investment, no different from all the rest of the collector cars purchased at these auctions, therefore you're faced with the duty of guarding and preserving that elevated price, meaning that you either won't drive it or you'll have to limit its driving, and if you do drive it, you'll have to carefully return it to its perfect pristine status every time you do; that's the price you pay when investing on cars for the purpose of selling them later in the hope that it will gain value so it sells for more. In fact I typically see guys buying 4 or 5 cars within a few hours of the same auction. This is like the stock market, or betting on the horses where these investors "study" the market in depth for different brands, types and vintages so they know exactly the car's value at that very point, or how high to go an a bid and where it is too much and drop it. If you buy a car for $100K and somehow in a couple of months you manage to sell it for $115K that's earning $15K for doing practically nothing other than using your strong knowledge of how this works; and that's only with one car.

If you ever watch Wayne Carini's "Chasing Classic Cars" on TV, you'll see what I mean. He's always ready to shell out a couple of hundred grand or even much more for the occasion when he may find that special car buried in a barn. Either that or a generous line of business credit. The difference with him is that he will include his own restorations at different levels. He says "I find them, I buy them and I sell them, it's all about the chase..." Of course, to his advantage is that nice shop he has in Connecticut to do "the necessary" in order to sell at substantial profits.

Most people buying restomods are obviously not the 'authors" and don't mind buying a restomod achieved by somebody else, in fact, I wouldn't mind, myself, if the car came to auction from somebody else's creation as long as the achievement is similar to my example described above. I only wish that I had the money to do so...or to do my own. But, the big difference is "do you drive it? If this is not your source of income, the car is, then, not an investment, therefore you drive your restomod and enjoy the heck out of it. If you do this for a living then you leave the car alone until you find a sucker who will pay with a profit.

Last edited by Forcedair1; 02-06-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Doug (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Something to consider is that, by the time you get this dream restomod XJS at such a high cost, then the car has really become an investment, no different from all the rest of the collector cars purchased at these auctions, therefore you're faced with the duty of guarding and preserving that elevated price, meaning that you either won't drive it or you'll have to limit its driving, and if you do drive it, you'll have to carefully return it to its perfect pristine status every time you do; that's the price you pay when investing on cars for the purpose of selling them later in the hope that it will gain value so it sells for more.

Here's the question, I think....

Are you building your dream car as a potential money-maker, or are you building your dream car because, well, that's your dream? The owner of the Mustang project I mentioned has no anticipation of ever making money on the car....or even recouping his investment. It isn't even a consideration.

There are top-grade resto-mod Mustangs all over the place and he knows he could buy one for much, much less than he's spending to have his own dream come to life. But, one of those wouldn't be what he wanted and, what's more, he'd miss out on the process of creating the dream.

This is like the stock market, or betting on the horses where these investors "study" the market in depth for different brands, types and vintages so they know exactly the car's value at that very point, or how high to go an a bid and where it is too much and drop it. If you buy a car for $100K and somehow in a couple of months you manage to sell it for $115K that's earning $15K for doing practically nothing other than using your strong knowledge of how this works; and that's only with one car.

Too true.

Some 'collectors' are really just longer-term car flippers. Studying trends is essential. Equally essential is being at the right place at the right time to snap up bargains. I know of one example of a rare collectible car that was being auctioned at an inappropriate venue for a too-low reserve. A buyer saw the potential, snapped it up and kept it for 12 months....until he heard thru the grapevine that one particular person, looking for that exact make and model, was gonna be at one particular auction. He jumped at the chance. He made $650,00 profit simply because he could afford the original $900,000 purchase and could afford to wait 12 months.

Cheers
DD

ronbros (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by LongJohn
AJ6 heads? I have read a little and still can’t figure out if these are viable or not
Kind of, yeah. Though add some VVT and ypu would be on to something.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
old saying Jack up the gas cap and put a new car under it!!!

to add there is a custom XJS on JL site called JLO.

Quick Reply: Restomod Jaguar XJS