XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

running wires to the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default running wires to the trunk

Hi,
I am at a loss at this point. I need to know how to snake some rca cables and speaker wire from the interior to the trunk. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Jomo

Old 08-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

I snaked wires to my trunk from the console by going under the rear seat, under the carpet on the area behind the rear seat back and through a hole drilled through the metal an inch or two under the rear glass. In the trunk just above and to the right of the roof pump is the best place I could find.
Luck, RagJag

Old 08-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Just run them where the main front to back loom goes. Just lift the rear carpets and find it.

Paul

Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by RagJag
I snaked wires to my trunk from the console by going under the rear seat, under the carpet on the area behind the rear seat back and through a hole drilled through the metal an inch or two under the rear glass. In the trunk just above and to the right of the roof pump is the best place I could find.
Luck, RagJag
Yeah, I see that wires are going through there but I am still having a problem. I guess I need a flashlight to shine some light in there. Right now I am just finishing up the wiring from the speakers and head unit to the rear seat area.
Thanks,
Jomo

Old 08-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Just run them where the main front to back loom goes. Just lift the rear carpets and find it.
What is a loom? Is it a wire harness??
Thanks,
Jomo

Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by jomo
What is a loom? Is it a wire harness??
Thanks,
Jomo
Loom is the harness. It was referred to as a loom in NZ too,so when I moved to Australia I had no idea what a harness was.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Default I still can't find a way to route cables to the trunk

Hi,
I see that in the upper right and left hand corners of the trunk that there are wire harnesses and convertible top hoses crossing from the trunk to the interior but I do not seem to have room to get rca cables back there. Normally I would just drill a hole in the back panel behind the rear seat but I know that the gas tank is there (LUCKY ME!). I really really need some help with this one please as I just spent an hour look and looking for an opening but see nothing. I am thinking about removing the battery and frame hoping that I can see something!

Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

jomo,

Have you taken out the back seat and the rear carpets yet?

If you have, I'm sure you'll just see how Jaguar routes the loom from the interior to the boot.

Paul

Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM

jomo,

Have you taken out the back seat and the rear carpets yet?

If you have, I'm sure you'll just see how Jaguar routes the loom from the interior to the boot.
I have taken out both the upper and lower parts of the rear seats but there is no carpeting below the bench seat. I did pull the carpet back as much as I can in both upper corners of the trunk from the back seat area but although there are certainly looms up there, there is no room for RCA cables. Should I pull the carpet back even further? I shined a flashlight in the corners but all it shows is that there is not any more space. Any ideas?

Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Jomo,

You need to find the loom routes inside the cabin and work out where they pass through into the boot. Pull up the rear floor carpets in the cabin and find the looms then just follow their routes to where they pass through the rear bulkhead. I tnink there might be looms on the left and right sides and I think part of the loom comes down the side of the transmission tunnel and splits left and right.

Good luck

Paul

Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Jomo, The gas tank isn't up that high. Open the boot and look above and behind the relays. There is a bolt in the wall just below the rubber boot seal. Drill about 3 inches to the right of the bolt head and only through the single metal and not the metal sheet the bolt is in. Drill from the boot side. I have a pic of the place but this web site asks for a url.
The cables you are installing are what diameter?
RagJag

Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Jomo,

You need to find the loom routes inside the cabin and work out where they pass through into the boot. Pull up the rear floor carpets in the cabin and find the looms then just follow their routes to where they pass through the rear bulkhead. I think there might be looms on the left and right sides and I think part of the loom comes down the side of the transmission tunnel and splits left and right.

Good luck

Paul
Paul,
Thanks for you help. I did see the two looms coming down the center of the car and they do split up near the rear of the interior. There are absolutely no wire crossing in the boot area from or near the base I guess because of the fuel tank. I concede (at least for today) being able to find a loom that has any room left for additional wires/cables to get into the trunk. Unless someone can provide pictures than I think I need to make my own hole. Any advice on that?
Thanks,
Jomo

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by RagJag
Jomo, The gas tank isn't up that high. Open the boot and look above and behind the relays. There is a bolt in the wall just below the rubber boot seal. Drill about 3 inches to the right of the bolt head and only through the single metal and not the metal sheet the bolt is in. Drill from the boot side. I have a pic of the place but this web site asks for a url.
The cables you are installing are what diameter?
RagJag
Ragjag,
Yeah I think drilling a hole is the best way to go. I do see the area you are describing. Wow not much room there either but WILL work. I do not know the size of the cable but they are regular RCA cables that connect to an amp. Thanks, I will let you know tomorrow how I made out.
Jomo

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM

RagJag,
I see that you mentioned this method in an earlier post. I thought that you were saying that the hole was already there, not drilled by yourself. Thanks for your time!
Jomo

Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Not much room is an XJS thing, jomo. lol
RagJag

Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 PM

RagJag,
I easily drilled the holes and the wires went right through with no trouble at all.
I mounted the amp very nicely where the cd changer use to be.
The stereo sounds amazing, simply amazing.
I have been using Alpine equipment since 1978 and their systems just keep getting better.
I really appreciate your time as well as Paul's time to make these posts.
Jomo
Head Unit CDE-HD149BT
Front Speakers SPR-60C
Rear Speakers SPR-60
Amp MRV-F300

The following users liked this post:
RagJag (04-25-2015)
Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Jomo,

Well done! Perseverence won the day! Gkad to hear you're enjoying the Alpine. I'm just about to put an Alpine headunit in my convertible also. I've decided to install a small switch (like the xjs valet switch) in the centre console so I can shut down the aerial when not listening to the radio. Just a quick question: how did you run and place the microphone in yours?

Tks

Paul

Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jomo
RagJag,
I easily drilled the holes and the wires went right through with no trouble at all.
I mounted the amp very nicely where the cd changer use to be.
The stereo sounds amazing, simply amazing.
I have been using Alpine equipment since 1978 and their systems just keep getting better.
I really appreciate your time as well as Paul's time to make these posts.
Jomo
Head Unit CDE-HD149BT
Front Speakers SPR-60C
Rear Speakers SPR-60
Amp MRV-F300

Hey Jomo,

Do you have any of that 1978 equipment left. I'm too old and dumb to work stereos without knobs and push buttons. I have to pull over and put on my glasses to turn up the volume on these new style fronts, and I usually can't do it without the manual!!!

Last edited by Terry; 08-27-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Paul,
Sorry for the late reply. I did not think that there would be any questions for me! I mounted the microphone in the molding on top by the window in the center.
Thanks,
Jomo

Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 PM

Terry,
Yeah I know what you mean but I don't have any of the old Alpine with two knobs.
Steve

Quick Reply: running wires to the trunk