XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

running without thermostats??

Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

wow.

im well versed on superchargers i dont need your rudimentary explanation.
its wrong anyways and ill tell you why.
1. a roots supercharger does not compress air.
2. .
3. The reason a supercharger has such high delta temperatures is because of the engine temperature (which is directly related to coolant temperatures). a hot engine will cause the rotors to reach schorching temperatures at higher rpm's, which exponentially increases the heat of the delta air within a fraction of a second. a bench top supercharger rig, will produce very little heat.
4. weve achieved 3-5% gains on our 3800 engines by blocking the coolant passages (see my original post) & using throttle body shielding.

go back to your s-type forum. maybe they will believe you.

EDIT: let me mend point no 2 to say that although compressing air to 150 psi in a compressor might yeild a given amount of heat, the act of pressurizing a manifold to 6-10 psi has virtually no increase in heat. and the act of releasing compressed air cools it. such as releasing air from a compressor. so in theory, the act of depressurizing air into an open cylinder should effectively reduce any initial increase in air temperature.

Last edited by M90power; 05-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by M90power
2. the act of compressing air cools it. hence the water, condensation etc.

EDIT: let me mend point no 2 to say that although compressing air to 150 psi in a compressor might yeild an insignificant amount of heat, the act of pressurizing (not compressing) a manifold to 6-10 psi has virtually no increase in heat.
So there's a difference in 'pressurizing' air and 'compressing' it? And neither creates significant heat. OK. I guess you have no idea how an AC system works then.

I'll ignore your rude comment, have fun. See ya!

Last edited by Mikey; 05-07-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Compessing air absolutely increases its temperature - put your hand on the output pipe of your air compressor when its been working - you will most likely burn it.

Water is an inherint product of air H2O as the air cools it allows the water vapor to fall from the air, to put is simply cold air is denser because it drops its excess water vapor. This is why ALL panel shops run air cools on their compressors to cool the air thus removing the water.

Exactly the same princinple for superchargers as they compress the air they heat it Root are especially ineficcent at compressing hence they induce more heat into the outlet charge. Yes there will be some heat soak that will contribute to outlet temp but this will be less than the heat generated by compressing the air.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Back to the OP's original question - If your car running too hot you need to look at radiator and cooling fans first.

If it is running hot while driving at speed then the radiator needs to be cleaned, could also be crud between the rad and AC condensor.

If it running cool at speed and overheating when stationary then the fan is most likely at fault.

With a re-cored radiator my car runs on the thermostats at 100km/h. You can actually seen the temperature cycle between N and 1/2 way to C. But would over heat in traffic. Turning the car off the old fan kept turining at least 4-5 turns.

Also my car has no front spoiler and all of the foam missing around the radiator and I live in a walm climate so get the radiator running right then fix the little things like foam around the radiator etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
Compessing air absolutely increases its temperature - put your hand on the output pipe of your air compressor when its been working - you will most likely burn it.

Water is an inherint product of air H2O as the air cools it allows the water vapor to fall from the air, to put is simply cold air is denser because it drops its excess water vapor. This is why ALL panel shops run air cools on their compressors to cool the air thus removing the water.

Exactly the same princinple for superchargers as they compress the air they heat it Root are especially ineficcent at compressing hence they induce more heat into the outlet charge. Yes there will be some heat soak that will contribute to outlet temp but this will be less than the heat generated by compressing the air.
once again, roots blowers dont compress anything.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
m90-

I've not responded to your posts directly because of your aggressive approach. That's not what this board is about.

If you're wondering why there's a dramatic temperature increase in air temperature in a supercharger, it's due to the act of the air being compressed. Simple as that, look up 'ideal gas law' and 'Boyle's law' as proof. If a person is not familiar with basic level physics such as this, debating more complex topics such as Otto cycle thermodynamics is rather pointless.

If you wish to question the amount of heat transferred into the intake ductwork, please contact the author of the document. He's the OEM and is far more vrsed and experienced than either of us. I have no reason to dispute his practical findings or the theory behind it.

Referring to a previous post claiming that a 3HP gain was achieved by pointing a fan at the radiator, and putting aside such a modest deviation is well within the range of standard deviation from one run to the next, it's more likely that the fan lowered the air intake temps somewhat, and had nothing to do with coolant temps. If the fan had lowered the coolant temps, the thermostat would have simply restricted coolant flow to maintain a constant temp.

Given that a 10*F reduction in intake temps gives a 1% increase in power output, a 3 HP gain on a 300(?) HP engine is quite possible and easy to achieve.
Mikey,

Refreshing to see someone who understands physics. The supercharged engine does not knock when running cooler is partially because the mixture is enriched at lower coolant temps. He probably should install an intercooler and have his ECM tuned and more than likely install different injectors.

Running a car without thermostats or cooler thermostats does not prove anything. It will burn more fuel for sure. I never understand why people don't just fix the real problem.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (05-08-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by M90power
wow.

im well versed on superchargers i dont need your rudimentary explanation.
its wrong anyways and ill tell you why.
2. the act of compressing air cools it. hence the water, condensation etc.
3. The reason a supercharger has such high delta temperatures is because of the engine temperature (which is directly related to coolant temperatures). a hot engine will cause the rotors to reach schorching temperatures at higher rpm's, which exponentially increases the heat of the delta air within a fraction of a second. a bench top supercharger rig, will produce very little heat.
4. weve achieved 3-5% gains on our 3800 engines by blocking the coolant passages (see my original post) & using throttle body shielding.

go back to your s-type forum. maybe they will believe you.

EDIT: let me mend point no 2 to say that although compressing air to 150 psi in a compressor might yeild an insignificant amount of heat, the act of pressurizing (not compressing) a manifold to 6-10 psi has virtually no increase in heat. and the act of releasing compressed air cools it. such as releasing air from a compressor. so in theory, the act of depressurizing air into an open cylinder should effectively reduce any initial increase in air temperature.

Compressing air cools it?? I hope you are kidding. Have you touched your air compressor lately? Never saw ice hanging off it. So if compressing air cools it then why have an intercooler? It should be an interheater then?

A supercharger is forced induction just like a turbocharger. Is builds air pressure, which when the intake valves opens forces air into the cylinder. This gives you more oxygen which allows you to add more fuel. More fuel equals more power.

The point of running coolant to the throttle valve (throttle body) is to keep it warm so that water does not condense on it and in freezing ambient temps this condensation can freeze and cause the throttle plate to stick open.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg Edge
A supercharger is forced induction just like a turbocharger. Is builds air pressure, which when the intake valves opens forces air into the cylinder. This gives you more oxygen which allows you to add more fuel. More fuel equals more power.
again, im well versed on superchargers.
and once again, roots blowers dont compress anything. theyre just an air pump. technically speaking theyre an external compression blower, meaning that the air coming out of it is the same volume as the air going into it. you build boost once the delta air builds up in the manifold, unlike a twin screw which actually does compress air.

which is why i specified that the roots blower pressurizes the manifold.

The supercharged engine does not knock when running cooler is partially because the mixture is enriched at lower coolant temps. He probably should install an intercooler and have his ECM tuned and more than likely install different injectors.
when the engine is cooler, the delta temperatures are considerably lower (anywhere from 50-150 degrees cooler). it has nothing to do with enriching. since the roots doesnt compress air, the delta temperatures are effected solely by the engine temperature, which completely defeats mikey's original argument.

So there's a difference in 'pressurizing' air and 'compressing' it
yes. a twin screw compresses air inside the blower and a roots pressurizes the air in the manifold.

Last edited by M90power; 05-07-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Stop hijacking this thread the OP asked a question about coolant temperatures NOT supercharging.

KEEP it on the subject or take it elsewhere!!!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
Stop hijacking this thread the OP asked a question about coolant temperatures NOT supercharging.

KEEP it on the subject or take it elsewhere!!!!!

i believe the fight was about whether a hot engine makes more power, which is relative to the subject matter.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Edge
Mikey,

Refreshing to see someone who understands physics.
Thanks for that, I was beginning to second guess myself.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

WOW, i'm glad thats over , and FULL moon is past also.

I just read the posts,, YUP I missed it,, thank goodness!!

are we havin fun YET?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Using the ubiquitous GM small block once again as another example, thermostat temps were bumped from 160 to 180 to 195*F over the years to keep up with pollution regulations and to take advantage of advances in coolant and oil technology. There was no accompanying reduction in any engine durability parameter. There's my line(s) in the sand.

Can you point me to a specific document that contradicts this? General statements that rubber and plastic stuff lasts longer when it's cooler are rather obvious in nature but again, if the field data indicates that there's no real problem, what's to gain?
Why? The gist of the response was that you habitually dismiss anything that you do not like using the ploy of asking for a citation. Yet, citations do not accompany your own assertions.

So, citation for "no accompanying reduction in any engine durability parameter" ?

Preferably peer reviewed.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Goodness me !
A supercharger is an air compressor used for forced induction of an internal combustion engine. (Wikipedia).
It doesn't matter if the air is compressed inside the supercharger or, as with a Roots, in the intake manifold because the blower is pushing more air into the manifold than the engine can swallow at atmospheric pressure.
Before the intercooler this is essentially isentropic compression so the air temperature must rise.
Hot air going into an engine is bad because
1. It is less dense so contains less oxygen so can burn less fuel
2. It will get even hotter when compressed by the piston so is more likely to cause pre-ignition
3. It is already hot so expands less when heated by the burning fuel

so it goes through an intercooler.
The hotter the intercooler the less well it does its job.

Inside the cylinder there are conflicting requirements
4. Keep the fuel/air mixture cool for reasons 2 + 3 above
5. Don't cool the mixture after combustion (because petrol + oxygen > water + CO2 which would occupy less volume than the original petrol/air mix at the same temperature). All that pushes the piston down is the rise in pressure produced by the heating of the combustion gasses.
So, running the engine hotter has a deleterious effect on every stage except 5. which happens so quickly that a few degrees difference in engine temperature doesn't matter.
Here ends the lesson......

Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Also bear in mind that, besides old fashioned overheating, improper coolant *flow* and air pockets have caused many a dropped valve seat on V12s. Air pockets in the heads will create hot spots even the the actuall coolant temp....in the areas where coolant is actually flowing....isn't very high.

Cheers
DD
And it looks a bit like this: My first Series 3 XJ12.

Attached Thumbnails running without thermostats??-10-30-2008_007r.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,075 Likes on 5,343 Posts

What I would like to know is what the Sidescrollin (original poster) has decided to do about his cooling worries!

Greg

Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  19.3 KB

Wow??

Firstly - Can we please stay on topic and get back to the OP's original question

Secondly, there is NO fight here........There never has been and never will be, it simply doesn't happen!
name calling or aggressive comments of any type won't be tolerated here, period!

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
JameyXJ6 (05-09-2012), warrjon (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

When discussing British automobiles, one must adhere to proper decorum. Failure to do so will result in suspension of a weeks ration of Earl Grey.
You have been warned!

The following users liked this post:
warrjon (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Why? The gist of the response was that you habitually dismiss anything that you do not like using the ploy of asking for a citation. Yet, citations do not accompany your own assertions.

So, citation for "no accompanying reduction in any engine durability parameter" ?

Preferably peer reviewed.
I believe we're borderline off topic- but the gist of the discussion was the statement:

" If the goal is component longevity, then keeping it cool is not a "myth". It is good engineering with proven results in the real world."

In the context of operating an engine below design temps, I can find no evidence that this is true. As always it's easier to prove that something exists than doesn't exist, so you have the advantage in backing up your statement.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

\
In the context of operating an engine below design temps, I can find no evidence that this is true. As always it's easier to prove that something exists than doesn't exist, so you have the advantage in backing up your statement.
Heres the NUMBER 1 reason you should keep your XJS cool.

Name:  CIMG3782.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  118.4 KB

Name:  CIMG3783.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  107.9 KB

theres aboiut 50x more where that came from.

/thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: running without thermostats??