XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

seeking your advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default seeking your advice

I need to get rid of my 1976 XJS convertible. I have too many cars and my wife is on me to get rid of my oldest one. I have owned this car for the last 24 years and don't want to see if get crushed or parted out. This car looks amazing and still runs well and everything works on it. I have put so much time and effort into updating it and replacing things as needed and want to see it go to someone who actually cars about Jaguars. I have a bunch of spares to go along with it and all the original owners manual, ROM and other docs that came with the car originally. I'm asking for your input on how I find someone who who understands what it takes to keep a car like this running and will appreciate it. It is not a money thing for me.

Should I put it on an Ebay auction with a reserve price of say $1,500 and hope that someone will buy it? Is there a better site? I'm not sure how I reach the right kind of person. Any advise would be much appreciated. There are some good pics of the car in my "garage" on this site at:
Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Garage Portal

Thanks for any advise you can offer,

Steve D.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Steve,

is your care a RHD version?

many thanks
Bernard Snoodyk

Old 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Steve if you were closer to Jax FL I'd buy it off you no problem. Very unique car being a pre HE and a convertible. Looks nice and would compliment my Black Coupe. I understand how you feel about someone getting it that will be as passionate in it's care as you were.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

How did the car get turned into a convertible? Jaguar did not sell any (to the general public at least). The Hess and Eisenhart was the first Jaguar sanctioned one, but a couple of aftermarket places in the UK did convert some coupés earlier on.

Greg

Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
How did the car get turned into a convertible? Jaguar did not sell any (to the general public at least). The Hess and Eisenhart was the first Jaguar sanctioned one, but a couple of aftermarket places in the UK did convert some coupés earlier on.

Greg
Greg, MAAAAATE,

You know how it got that way, a 9" angle grinder and a few beers, job done. OOPS, that may get me a reprimand?????.

SERIOUSLY now.

That is indeed a RARE beast, and I would be real fussy who got hold of it.

That offer from here sounds good to me, and a bit of effort on both parties will SAVE it from "who knows what".

Just my 2cents from waaaaay down here.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Steve,
Why not put here on the forum, private sale part. That would reach the enthusiasts.

Or if it's not a money thing..post it to me! $1500 Pffftt. You could sell it here and buy a house!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by dougsteve1
I need to get rid of my 1976 XJS convertible. I have too many cars and my wife is on me to get rid of my oldest one....
Steve,

You've told us a lot about the XJS but very little about your wife. Please complete the following checklist so we can compare and give honest advice.

seeking your advice-assets.jpg

I have to say I'd love to take this beauty out:

seeking your advice-steve-xjs.jpg

Back to the serious issue now. The first place to advertise has to be PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds forum. We have thousands of the "right kind of person" here on the forum if you avoid the angle grinder wielding Aussies (Greg - you were expecting a reprimand!). All enthusiasts and not like ebay buyers, many of whom would just be looking to turn a quick profit.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Sarc (02-21-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
We have thousands of the "right kind of person" here on the forum if you avoid the angle grinder wielding Aussies (Greg - you were expecting a reprimand!). Graham
But please Sir, it was Grant Sir, not me Sir! Not fair Sir.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Graham,

I've had the wife longer and she is a champ to put up with my interest in cars. Right now her car is out of the garage and she isn't enjoying the winter we are having this year.
I guess I should have explained that the car is in St. Louis MO (right in the middle of the US). The car was converted to a convertible in 1992 using the kit that was available from the California Convertible Company. It is a good conversion with electric power top, canvas top fabric that is insulated and has a headliner and a tonneau cover. Extensive frame stiffening was part of the kit so it really is pretty solid for a convertible. As part of this conversion, the car was repainted, new leather seating installed, dayton wire wheels, suspension refreshed, new exhaust, etc. It still has the original engine and tranny and has 133K miles on it (only 23K since 1992 since it was just used as a "fun" car since I got it). It has always been garaged and rarely has been wet other than washing since that time.

I will post it on the marketplace, but I still worry that there aren't many potential buyers out there, especially somewhere in my area. I don't see someone buying the car and shipping it long distance with the costs associated with that. The car is capable of being driven home without too much risk of incident 600 miles or so. I just don't know how long I can hold off the wife, that's why I was thinking that an Ebay auction might get me a faster sale.

Thanks again for any advise,

Steve D.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

At 31 years of marital bliss, I've also had my wife longer than I've had any of my Jags. However, even though my wife carries a gun, and is considered a sharpshooter by her coworkers (she's a cop, and can shoot the wings off a gnat at 50 yards, in the dark, with her Glock 19), she knows better than to get between me and my cars. It simply isn't done.

That said, If I had room in my stable, you and I would be talking about your car changing hands.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Wow Steve, I'm not sure I could sell a beauty like that. I still miss my TR250 I sold in the 80s. If my wife hadn't insisted we have a new kitchen instead of expanding my garage I would be down in an instant. Advertise it on the forum and someone will give it a good home.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve

if you are a seller at around the $2 000 mark I am a buyer. Does not matter that you are in the US since the shipping costs is not that much etc.

also we are fortunate that full registration is possible for a LHD car in Victoria providing that it is over 30 years old.

feel free to contact me at bernards@greenwaybanks.com.au if you want to discuss.

have a great day
Bernard

GGG (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Bernard,

I would do that. I sent an email to you.

Steve D.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

that seems very low price for a good running XJS convertible!

the kit for making a convertible from a coupe was around $5000. plus labor!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

nobody has asked; how is the RUST condition? a 76 Jag can be much!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 PM

There is no rust on the car. There is a bubble about the size of a quarter in the paint on the valance where the exhaust pipes exit (meaning rust underneath). This car hasn't seen rain in probably 20 years. Always garaged. There was some rust repair done in 1992 when I did all the work but it was mostly in the floor on the drivers side where the A/C condensation vent had soaked the floor under the carpet at some point. I would rather see this car go to someone who is a Jag lover and am not that tied up about trying to get a little more money. You could easily sell the spares I am including and the wheels and tires and probably get back the money. But I have put a lot of myself in that car and don't want to see it die even though I need to get rid of it. Someone was right about how much the kit for the convertible was and all. But whatever I have put into the car, I feel I got back in the enjoyment of owning it. Of all the cars I have owned (and there were some good ones) this one gets the most attention and comments.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Greg in France
But please Sir, it was Grant Sir, not me Sir! Not fair Sir.
Greg,

Absolutely right - I do apologise.

Although i do recall you have also previously exhibited some skill with the aforementioned weapon!

Graham

Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by dougsteve1
............ The car was converted to a convertible in 1992 using the kit that was available from the California Convertible Company. .............

................ I still worry that there aren't many potential buyers out there, especially somewhere in my area. I don't see someone buying the car and shipping it long distance with the costs associated with that. .........
Steve,

Have you any details on this conversion kit? That's a major piece of engineering I'd expected to be beyond the DIY owner but the results look superb. I'm interested to know more about the kit and the work involved.

The provenance on your XJS is excellent and it really should go to someone who appreciates what it is and what it's worth. We have a member in XK8/XKR forum who is buying an XK8 'unseen' and having it shipped 2000 miles to him from the vendor so there are buyers out there who don't view distance as a disincentive for the right vehicle.

Graham

Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by narrowgauger
Steve

if you are a seller at around the $2 000 mark I am a buyer. Does not matter that you are in the US since the shipping costs is not that much etc.

Go for it Bernard!

I hope you can make this work.

Graham

Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Default convertible conversion

Graham,

I do believe that Bernard and I have a deal. Thanks to all for advise and support. The conversion kit was complicated. Luckily I was used to doing some serious wrenching and had all the equipment I needed. A heavy duty commercial MIG welder was the most important thing needed. There were about 80 "steps" in the conversion manual with some of them being like "Strip car completely except for dash, windshield, driver and passenger windows" being one step. I still have the manual, if anyone is that interested, I could try to make a copy of it and put it somewhere. The brochure is attached.

Steve D

Attached Thumbnails seeking your advice-scan0001.jpg  
GGG (02-22-2014)

Quick Reply: seeking your advice