XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Seem like a 55k car to you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Seem like a 55k car to you?

H all, saw this one locally, not in person yet, '94 w/a reported 55k, a/c is warm, cracked front spoiler and lazy top-up hydraulics for $5800. Does leather do that in 55k and 22 years? Any opinions-run Forrest, run?

thanks!

Jeff

Jaguar XJS - gibert

Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Looks a bit like a unloved kitty. But anything can be fixed....... The problem is that many owners don't "feed" the leather to keep it soft.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Old 03-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

That's a really rough 55K miles. If the paint is good and the power train is solid, then you have to at least allocate for 1-Headliner, 2-Leather seats 3-worst case scenario A/C 4-get that spoiler fixed. 5-the nearly impossible task of tracking down new headlights.

That's if everything else is in good shape.

The following users liked this post:
Rivguy (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

It appears that this XJS has had extensive sun exposure. You can tell by the headlamp lenses, leather seat base shrunk back and I would bet you the reason the photos are taken with water on the paint is because the car will have sun damage to the clear coat.

My guess is the top has been replaced along the way but most likely will find your top seals are pretty sun damaged. You can tell the top has been up and down a lot due to excessive wear on the back of the rear seats.

The front cover is cracked on both lower sides so this one will not be inexpensive to have repaired correctly. I would guess cost to remove and repair and refinish will be over $ 1200.00.

From what I am seeing in the photos I think this car is over priced at $5800.00. Even if it runs great and is mechanically sound I would pay no more than $4500.00 but keep in mind this XJS to get back to a 8 or 9 out of 10 will cost more than it's value in my opinion.

YOU WOULD BE MONEY AHEAD TO WAIT AND FIND A WELL KEPT XJS WITHOUT ALL THE SUN DAMAGE IN THE $10K AREA. EVEN IF YOU WENT UPTO $12k OR SO STILL MONEY AHEAD BECAUSE EVEN A DECENT REPAINT CAN RUN OVER $8K.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 PM

Yep, there's a reason it's low priced and with no pics in the CL ad...I just spun on my heel...thanks! A 5k jag can quickly become a 9k jag...

Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Low mileage does not mean that there has not been constant deterioration going on. The paint will fade and oxidize, the chrome and body metal can rust and the leather and rubber items can dry out and crack. If the car doesn't get regularly driven and brought up to operating temperatures the motor can develop sludge, varnish and carbon deposits. This is particularly bad if the car has been improperly stored for long periods. Let's face it older Jaguars are often ignored or forgotten once they develop a number of niggling little problems. I would want to see that car in person and have it checked out thoroughly.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rivguy
. I would want to see that car in person and have it checked out thoroughly.
That's one better than me as I don't even want to see it any longer...!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffn
H all, saw this one locally, not in person yet, '94 w/a reported 55k, a/c is warm, cracked front spoiler and lazy top-up hydraulics for $5800. Does leather do that in 55k and 22 years? Any opinions-run Forrest, run?

thanks!

Jeff

Jaguar XJS - gibert
Hi Jeff

For Starters its not a 55,000 mile Car it's a 66,000 mile Car! according to the advert and I would disagree about the Paintwork.

From what I am able to see, the Paintwork looks really nice but it also looks as if this Car has been left out in the Rain a lot with the Soft Top down.

Because the Actual Soft Top looks in very good condition, as if it hasn't been up and down very much.

Having the Soft Top rub on the Back of the Seats, is a very Common Problem but it looks to me like this Car, may have suffered a lot of water damage, through being left in the Rain with the Soft Top down.

So I would certainly want to have a good look underneath all the Carpets, in case the Floor has started rotting away.

In the event the Floor is Ok and She is not falling to pieces underneath, I would say this Car has great potential,

New Seats and Get the Hood Fixed.

I tend to think that this Car won't be an easy sell, because getting a Garage/Shop to fix it is going to cost a fortune! and that will put a lot of buyers off.

Unlike someone like yourself, who is prepared to fix it, so no harm in going to look, although I have a bit of a feeling, that She could be 'Love at first sight'

So If it were me, I'd go with Cash and if I liked it that much then give them a reality check by telling them how much it is going to fix and make a 'Cheeky' bit and offer half and then work your way up from there.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by jeffn
That's one better than me as I don't even want to see it any longer...!
I agree-the more I study the pictures the more damage I am seeing. I have not seen that dirty a center arm rest leather in some time if ever on a XJS. This thing has had so much sun exposure that it has warped the leather on the lower center console area on the drivers side down below the center arm rest ( I do not think I have ever seen that before ). It even pulled back the wood on the passenger door inner trim panel on front edge.

I had to chuckle because this guy used so much soap trying to clean this thing that the tailpipes etc. are still full of soap suds when he took the photos-LOL!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

There is a reason the car was photographed "wet" (notice that the top is down, but the car is covered with water droplets). It's a trick to hide flaws that would be obvious in photos.

Run Forest Run!

Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
There is a reason the car was photographed "wet" (notice that the top is down, but the car is covered with water droplets). It's a trick to hide flaws that would be obvious in photos.

Run Forest Run!
I agree-oldest trick in the book. Who takes photos of a car they are trying to sell with water droplets on the paint ? Answer: Someone who is trying to hide paint issues and most likely in this case clear coat degradation ( fade ).