Shock Absorber Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default Shock Absorber Problem

Hi Guys

Major Front Shock Absorber Problem on 'Cherry Blossom'

Yesterday I spent Three Hours, trying to undo the Lock Nut on one of the Front Shock Absorbers, so I could change the Shock Absorber Bushes.

Which were completely 'shot away' making Her bump and grind all over the place, even though I gave the Lock Nuts plenty of Penetrating Oil.

Same thing happened this morning on the other side, the 'blinking' Lock Nut will not come undone.

I should point out that this is a Single Locking Nut that looks a bit like a Nylock but its got a gripping Top.

As opposed to Two Nuts Locked together.

I've tried a Spanner on it, with a massive Mole Wrench gripping the Peg at the Top but it won't come undone.

Even with heat or trying to tighten and un-tighten the Nut.

It will not undo!

The way I see it there are Two options left:

Either Cut through the side of the Nut with a Dremmel or Hacksaw Blade or go for the Nuclear Option and try and undo it with a Reciprocating Wrench.

As I won't be able to hold the Peg at the Top of the Shock when I do this, there is a possibility that the Whole Shock absorber may try and Spin Round.

Or at least the Top half anyway.

Would it damage the Shock Absorber if that happens?

But with any luck the Lock Nut might just come undone.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

It shouldn't damage it. There is a 'special' tool available to undo those top nuts. They are the same on the X308. Nyloc on top.

It is kind of like a lever with an elongated hole on one end. The end which goes on top of the shock absorber. You undo it then with a spanner below. If you have mangled the top of the shock up, I'd recommend replacing them. They only cost like £30/piece... Original Boge ones...

Last edited by Daim; 07-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
It shouldn't damage it. There is a 'special' tool available to undo those top nuts. They are the same on the X308. Nyloc on top.

It is kind of like a lever with an elongated hole on one end. The end which goes on top of the shock absorber. You undo it then with a spanner below. If you have mangled the top of the shock up, I'd recommend replacing them. They only cost like £30/piece... Original Boge ones...
Hi Daim

Yeah! the Peg does look a bit mangled as the Mole Wrench sort of rounded it off as I was trying to turn the big nut with a Spanner.

On my 89 they came off easy peasy but they were double locknuts on that as opposed to this Nylock.

So I'll give it a try with the 'rattle gun' and then see what happens.

I don't really want to replace them, as they are in good nick and there are lots of other jobs that are going to need me to throw money at.

Like 4 New Tyres £800 for Starters.

BTW if anyone happens to come across 4 New 15in Lattice Alloys on my side of the Pond please let me know.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Somewhere in a place now forgotten, I found a neat tool. A socket. but with stiff strands of wire inside perpindicular to the socket wall. Slip it over the battered nut. It grips with torque twisting the strands. Akin to the old straw Chinese finger puzzzles.

Carl

orangeblossom (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Somewhere in a place now forgotten, I found a neat tool. A socket. but with stiff strands of wire inside perpindicular to the socket wall. Slip it over the battered nut. It grips with torque twisting the strands. Akin to the old straw Chinese finger puzzzles.

Carl
Hi Carl

I can get a good grip on the Nut but the Spigot is much too small to get a good grip on.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim@Carl

I've finally got the Nut off and it only took me EIGHT HOURS!

Even when Hacksawed on 3 Sides, it still wouldn't blinking come off!

But now I've finally managed it, the Nut is totally butchered and will need a new one on, so please could you tell me the Thread Size.

Just don't say 5/16 UNF as I haven't got one! or will probably take me another 8 hours to find!

The only way to get it off was using one of these on the end of a Chisel.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Well, it is off. Count that as more than 1/2 way home!!!

The tool I mentioned is intended to deal with rounded nuts. But, I used mine for the "spigot' that I could not find a tool to hold still while I used a ring wrench aka 'box" on the nut. It worked very nicely.

Odd 5/16' 24 UNF!!! I need a bolt in that size, I think, to seek to affix the drive pulley to the shaft on the engine driving my Chipper/shredder.

On the 4 tasks topping my to do list!!!

Way back when, I decided to fix the "swing and sway" on my 69 Chrysler Cordoba of Ricardo Montalban fame. Same issue with holding the spigot while undoing the nut!!! I decided to quit messing around
and got out my blue wrench. Cut the shock shafts. Job done But, I intended on new shacks, aka amenders.

I do recall that in other critters, A small pair of vice grips held the spigot. But, true in the Jaguar application. Space is limited...

Carl

orangeblossom (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Carl

I had to cut the Spindle nut in 4 places with a Hacksaw and it still wouldn't come off, although I finally managed it by using a FBH and a Chisel.

I couldn't even undo that Nut with a massive 'Mole Wrench' gripping the Spindle, while I was trying to turn the Nut with a Spanner.

The Spindle kept on Slipping round and round.

To day was almost a rinse and repeat, as having got the Nut off and even with the Wheel off, I just could not pull the Shocker down to get the Old Bushes off.

Or rather what was left of them..................

So I had to make a special Clamp to pull the Shocker down.

Putting New Shock Absorber Bushes Top and Bottom on 'One Side' has taken me ALL DAY!

So I'm going to do (try to do!) The other Side tomorrow.

Which could be 4 days and counting, for a job I can usually do in an hour!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

You do seem to get the tough jobs...........

orangeblossom (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

I think I'm just being punished for a lack of maintenance by leaving her standing for 17 years without turning a wheel.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

I sure can empathize. My way is many times the hard way. But as I'm known for being "stubborn", I usually get my way. I term it persistent !!

Gotta apply it in a day or two on my old Troy Bilt Chipper Shredder.

getting the

orangeblossom (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys

I finally got there, a job I can usually do in an hour only took me 3 days!

I'm going to do a write up on my 'Cherry Blossom' restoration Thread with Photos followed by a Road Test.

As I went 'Off Grid' and made some Custom Shock Absorber Bushes.