XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

shop in seattle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts
Default shop in seattle?

for reasons i will explain in another post, i am in need of some (hopefully straightforward) repairs in seattle for my 91 5.3 v12 coupe.

as i am currently on the east coast, this might require a bit of flexibility and/or creativity.

i was hoping you guys would be able to point me toward a trustworthy, and not ridiculously expensive shop for a bit of fuel line investigation and repair. i would even be willing to engage one of you backyard guys if you were so inclined.

the symptoms are:
- significant fuel odor in the cabin
- moderate fuel odor in the trunk

the cause, i assume, is a leak somewhere in the fueling system, as a result, i assume again, of a broken rochester valve in the vapor recovery system, leading to significant +/- pressures in the lines and subsequent loss of integrity somewhere. and while the cannister rochester valve was replaced (by me), it appears to have not been done in time.

i'm hoping this will be remedied by either a quick ID and repair of a leak, or, if nothing is obvious, and with a positive tank inspection, replacement of the entire set of lines and pump.

soooo, back to my original question: would anyone be able to point me toward a potential shop to have this work completed?

thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, you're in luck. British Automotive - Complete British Auto Repair - Seattle, WA 206-782-7950

They do actually know about older Jags, and in fact I've had my own 86 XJS up there for some various work, including valve cover gaskets. They aren't a "cheap shop," but they're not ridiculous, either, but they do know what they're doing. One of their mechanics even writes a monthly column for the local Jaguar owners' club here.

About my only complaint on them after using them for a few things (they also did a post-purchase compression check and go over for me), is that they do get busy sometimes, so they aren't always a "fast turnaround."

The following users liked this post:
DrScientist (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

thanks for the info. i'll check them out.

does anyone have any experience with this shop?
British Automotive - Complete British Auto Repair - Seattle, WA 206-782-7950

PM me if you feel it's not going to be constructive.