XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Electric fan switch, or thermostatic control switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Electric fan switch, or thermostatic control switch

This is for a 1996 XJS. The Jaguar part number is: DAC6794

Now, these are hard to find. I've still got my eye out, but any help would be appreciated. If there is a good Jaguar breakers yard in the states somewhere that I can call to get a used switch, I'll do it just to keep her going.

Coventry West has served me well before, so I'll try them on Monday. Jagbits is out, Terry's Jaguar parts doesn't have one, but they are researching similar parts for me. Paul's Jaguar is digging around as well.

All the vendors have been incredibly helpful throughout my little XJS journey. It's a heck of a community, and very tolerant of new guys who have questions all the time.

I've considered using an aftermarket switch, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen theirs fail and noted the absence of OEM parts out there. I'd like the thing to remain original, if possible.

If someone has come up with a nice way to replace the switch, I'd like to hear about it.

Right now, I've got these options:

1: Set it up to fire when the A/C is on (Not exactly ideal).

2: Stealth a rocker switch in the interior (A bit ghetto, but it will keep me going if I can't find something else soon).

3: Use an aftermarket switch, whose probe simply rests in the fins of the radiator (That's a bit silly).

4: Adapt the factory threads to accept a switch from a more common American vehicle (If I can find one that is small enough).

5: Have Ron Davis build me a brand new radiator that accepts a more common switch. Eventually... After one of my other cars...

6: Find another vehicle that uses a directly compatible switch (Ideal).

7: Locate a good used or new part number DAC6794 (Ideal).

8: Just jump the thing to always run the fan in the summer... (Not such a good idea, I think. Could be wrong, though).

Right now, I've finally got the A/C working. Geez that's nice.

I've tinted every piece of glass on the vehicle, starting with the windshield. It's quite classy; not dark, just elegant and effective. All of it matches. It's the most expensive tint I've ever had laid, but it was worth it. That thing stays nice and cool in the sun.

Next on the efficiency list is ceramic coating the manifold, and maybe a bit lower as well. My coater will be doing a run of ceramics soon, and I'll hop in then.

So, all of this is pointless until I come up with a good solution for the switch issue. Even if I do find the factory part next week (and I hope I do), I'll be set on converting it to a more common switch eventually.

So, if there are any ideas out there, let's hear them. Perhaps someone knows a good place to get one, or has used one of the options I listed in their own vehicle.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM

I just ordered a used (hopefully working) sensor on Ebay. It doesn't look so sharp, but it just might hold me over for a while.

Seems a miracle the thing just showed up there.

I'm still interested in other solutions and ideas. I don't want to rely on an Ebay used part for too long.

At least it was cheap.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I am not familiar with your model I assume it is the 4.0L where this switch screws into the radiator.....

If it were me I would find an adapter with the same thread as the switch and then use an off the shelf adjustable thermo switch. If it is a parallel thread it will be UNF or BSF and if tapered most likely BSPT.

If you dont have a thread gauge use the old switch and find a nut that fits, this will let you what the thread is

The following users liked this post:
kennith13 (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Yes, sorry. It's the 4.0. I'll make a signature line.

I've thought about adapting to one of the off the shelf switches, and I'll probably do it. Like you said, though, I've got to find one that either fits or can be adapted without butchering things.

That won't be difficult.

I like the idea of using an adjustable switch, as well. If I can find a nice one, I just might do that.

I'll see if the used one that I ordered works properly. If it does, I'll have some time to sort out fitting a different switch. If not, I'll just rig it for manual operation until I get an aftermarket switch or someone comes up with a new factory unit.

The car is coming along nicely. It's very close to being able to hold temperature with the A/C on, even with the fan not working. I think it's going to be solid once I get that switch.

It really wants to be reliable, and it's almost there.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 PM

I'm not entirely convinced the one I bought on Ebay will be reliable, so I've decided to do something else.

Tonight, I properly wired a switch, cleanly presented under the dash where I've currently got the access panel removed for access. It's not visible, and even if it was, it's nice and pretty. I didn't butcher a thing to install it.

So, temporarily, I have manual control of the fan.

I've decided to purchase an aftermarket adjustable thermostatic switch for installation in the near future. I will allow the switch to control the fan, and I may wire the system to activate the fan when the A/C comes on.

So, it's sorted now.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by kennith13
This is for a 1996 XJS. The Jaguar part number is: DAC6794

Now, these are hard to find. I've still got my eye out, but any help would be appreciated. If there is a good Jaguar breakers yard in the states somewhere that I can call to get a used switch, I'll do it just to keep her going.

Coventry West has served me well before, so I'll try them on Monday. Jagbits is out, Terry's Jaguar parts doesn't have one, but they are researching similar parts for me. Paul's Jaguar is digging around as well.

All the vendors have been incredibly helpful throughout my little XJS journey. It's a heck of a community, and very tolerant of new guys who have questions all the time.

I've considered using an aftermarket switch, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen theirs fail and noted the absence of OEM parts out there. I'd like the thing to remain original, if possible.

If someone has come up with a nice way to replace the switch, I'd like to hear about it.

Right now, I've got these options:

1: Set it up to fire when the A/C is on (Not exactly ideal).

2: Stealth a rocker switch in the interior (A bit ghetto, but it will keep me going if I can't find something else soon).

3: Use an aftermarket switch, whose probe simply rests in the fins of the radiator (That's a bit silly).

4: Adapt the factory threads to accept a switch from a more common American vehicle (If I can find one that is small enough).

5: Have Ron Davis build me a brand new radiator that accepts a more common switch. Eventually... After one of my other cars...

6: Find another vehicle that uses a directly compatible switch (Ideal).

7: Locate a good used or new part number DAC6794 (Ideal).

8: Just jump the thing to always run the fan in the summer... (Not such a good idea, I think. Could be wrong, though).

Right now, I've finally got the A/C working. Geez that's nice.

I've tinted every piece of glass on the vehicle, starting with the windshield. It's quite classy; not dark, just elegant and effective. All of it matches. It's the most expensive tint I've ever had laid, but it was worth it. That thing stays nice and cool in the sun.

Next on the efficiency list is ceramic coating the manifold, and maybe a bit lower as well. My coater will be doing a run of ceramics soon, and I'll hop in then.

So, all of this is pointless until I come up with a good solution for the switch issue. Even if I do find the factory part next week (and I hope I do), I'll be set on converting it to a more common switch eventually.

So, if there are any ideas out there, let's hear them. Perhaps someone knows a good place to get one, or has used one of the options I listed in their own vehicle.
There is one easy modification you could make to the Aux Fan circuit that should serve you very well. I have made this change to several XJS models, because they have a propensity for the A/C to run warm in traffic. This causes the fan to run anytime the A/C is engaged, yet still allows the temp switch to control the fan if temperature dictates. Simply add a relay as in the illustration.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Electric fan switch, or thermostatic control switch-96-aux-fan-mod.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (09-11-2013)
Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 PM

You, sir, are a wonderful, wonderful man!

That saves me from having to figure out how how to do it. That's precisely how I want it to operate. I was just thinking about looking at the harness a few hours ago, but laziness got the best of me.

I think I'll include a switch to turn the fan off on long highway drives if I'll be running the A/C most of the time.

The switch I've got now is annoying, but it works temporarily. Luckily, I was able to run the wires and mount the switch without butchering anything. Having the switch, however, gave me the idea of the fan cutoff for long drives.

I wouldn't normally be bothered about it, but I've just got to wonder how long this fan has been idle. If it's sat for long enough, it might not have much life left in it.

I'll soon find out, I suppose. This will likely be yet another part that's going to be aftermarket. It's not about the money, it's about standardization. I've learned that lesson with other British vehicles.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Well, thank you! Glad I could help.....

Cheers,

Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay, I know I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread, but I have the same problem, and I wanted to ask if anyone had found a replacement for this switch (the DAC6794).

A local British car shop said that the XJ6 used a similar switch which only has a different plug on the end, and sold me a used one. So I spliced my old connector onto that switch, and installed it. It does fit in the radiator, but it still doesn't work. Thing is I don't know if it doesn't work because it's broken or because it's the wrong switch. Anyone else know anything about the XJ6 switch?

Thanks,

-mB

Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by kennith13
You, sir, are a wonderful, wonderful man!

That saves me from having to figure out how how to do it. That's precisely how I want it to operate. I was just thinking about looking at the harness a few hours ago, but laziness got the best of me.

I think I'll include a switch to turn the fan off on long highway drives if I'll be running the A/C most of the time.

The switch I've got now is annoying, but it works temporarily. Luckily, I was able to run the wires and mount the switch without butchering anything. Having the switch, however, gave me the idea of the fan cutoff for long drives.

I wouldn't normally be bothered about it, but I've just got to wonder how long this fan has been idle. If it's sat for long enough, it might not have much life left in it.

I'll soon find out, I suppose. This will likely be yet another part that's going to be aftermarket. It's not about the money, it's about standardization. I've learned that lesson with other British vehicles.
I know I am a little late to this topic, but I too have a manual switch on my car for the aux fan. Unfortunately, shortly after I installed it, the OEM aux fan died, so I used the same wiring to install 2 pusher fans..a small spal heavy duty where the original used to be, and a pancake one right next to it.

I have left the manual switch on once and drained the battery, but I still won't go back to a thermal switch. Ideally I would like a switch that makes the fan come on not with temperature but with speed...like anytime the car goes below 30mph...

Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM

I've ordered a replacement switch, but it's been tricky, and it hasn't arrived yet. 1996 models have so many little bits that are different than the other cars, and most of them have been a bit troublesome to acquire.

On the bright side, since the engine was finally sorted completely, the car tolerates extreme temperatures very well. As hot as it's been around here, that's been quite a surprise.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Where did you order a replacement switch? I haven't been able to find one anywhere. Actually I was able to order a few, but each time the vendors came back and said they didn't really have one.

I just read this in the Kirby Palm "Experience in a Book" manual (pg 231):

"This part may also be correct for the 92-96 4.0L XJS 6 cyl."
By this part they mean:
Beck-Arnley XJ40 and 85-91 V12 201-1151
Four Seasons (Division of Standard Motor Parts) XJ40 36538
NAPA 88-90 XJ40 FS-222

Has anyone tried one of these in an XJS 4.0?

-mB

Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Smile

Hi,

I finally found a good replacement for this switch. It's a Wahler 6010.82D fan switch. It's a VW part. I initially tried the 6010.92D (turns on at 92 deg C) but found it waited way too long to turn on, letting the needle go almost up to H. This one probably turns on a bit too soon, but just a bit, and I'd rather run too cool than too hot. Of course you have make your own little wire harness to adapt the Wahler switch's flat terminals to the Jaguar plug, but that is easy enough. Best of all it's pretty cheap, around $10-15.

Wahler Wahler 6010.82D Fan Switch - Automotive - Chassis, Shocks & Suspension - Struts

-mB

Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Awesome, Mike. This could be an option for some folks. I have added circuitry on several cars to make the aux. fan run anytime the compressor is on. This is something most owners can do themselves.

Cheers,

Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

This thread jogged my memory to update a thread I had started on the fan switch.

As I mention, any M22 x 1.5 two position switch will do and there are dozens available with various operating ranges. I don't know why Jaguar made it so difficult to source a replacement but there you go.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 09-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Look a few threads down.

I posted a link to an article about a completely digitial setup that is programmable and comes with a digital meter as part of the deal. About $20 on ebay.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Open your console lid; you will see two knockouts for switches on each side on the latch in the console. One is forthe alarm system shutoff, which also helps to set up your remote key fobs. Installa small switch in one of those and it will be out of sight but easily accessible.