XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Slight mishap yesterday, but kept my cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:07 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Slight mishap yesterday, but kept my cool

Took the XJS out to make a run to the next town, about 30 miles round trip, to take some exchange parts to the auto store for friend. Was about 3 miles out of town and felt thump, and what seemed like I may have gotten a flat. ( the left front dropped) only the car did not swerve live a flat would. All I could think, Now What the F... , lucky kept my cool and wits, got the XJS off the side, get out to see, and load and behold, the front wheel came off but but was still in the fender well. Called roadside assistance, got a garage to come out with a tow truck. by chance found 3 of the lug nuts, put on on from one of the back wheels. Back on the road the old gal drove just nice no problems. Did have a bit of paint chip from the fender well lip.

Last time I had the front wheels off is when I had the car in the garage to have the back brakes and shocks done, and had them recheck the torque setting on the new parts on the front I put on, or at least I asked them to along with an alignment. So not sure if they did take the whell of, or someone thought it be a joke, but was pissed off. Oh, the tow truck driver was the oener of the garage and I mentioned it o him and will be checking into it, he has always treated me great to the point he will let me make payments at times

Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

OOPS.

The Jag Gods are really on your side at the moment.

Any other car, and the wheel would have been gone, and no guess work on your behalf as to what had happened, but since Jag stuff rarely falls OFF, things usually hang around just for giggles, and now you only need 2 lug nuts, how thoughtful.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Most mechanics, DIYers of Pros, develop a routine when it comes to tightening the wheel nuts.

A week's pay says that someone's routine was interrupted.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Makes sense to me.

Way back when, I drove my 63 Corvair camperized van to work. It featured a nice set of
"mag" wheels.

On the freeway at about 65, I felt the sqme thing, only at one of the rears!!! I pulled off to a convenient shoulder. Wheel trapped by the body, and the brake drum riding on the inner part of the wheel. Open differential, so, I wasn't going anywhere.

All five lug nuts on that wheel gone. I borrowed three from the other wheels, jacked up the car and restored the wheel to the lug studs. Luckily, undamaged.

Limped to work. side streets. A bit late.

On the way home, back to the side streets. I found a friendly tires shop. Obsolete Wheels and lugs. No lugs in stock. but, he had a bucket of "take off's". We found five
fair ones there. Free, no charge. good folks still existed.

Why ? My cynical side said a thief was interrupted!!!"

Carl

Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

well, went over the bill from the last garage work, no notation on pulling wheels to re-check the torque on the bolts for parts I put on, only for rear brakes and shocks along with an alignment, so I can only guess some jealous ******* did something. did find some lug nuts and a dust cap on line last night, should be here soon