XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

smog pump froze up

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default smog pump froze up

The smog pump on my XJS, 90 V12, took a dump and froze up. I need another one due to the CA smog laws. Does anybody have one sitting around that they'd like to sell? I have to have one so I figured why not get one thats just taking up space in someone's garage. I can go to a Jag junk yard about 45 miles from me if I can't find one on here.

Reply here or send me a PM,
Thanks, Terry

Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got quite a few of those. Jaguar XJS owner here that sells parts for the 83-91 models. I know also that Autozone stocks this part also. Last time I bought one there it was under $100.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. New is good since I will always have to have one for as long as I own the car. There doesn't appear to be any movement on the smog laws. I think 1975 is the cut off and no change in sight. That said, the air is cleaner now then it was when I was a kid.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Zar
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the smog pump from just about anywhere since it was used on a lot (and I mean a lot) of GM cars and trucks. Don't pay more than $100 for one and you will need your old one as a core.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

Hey Terry...just curious...does CA test only when the car is warmed-up, or is the concern that the inspector will see that your pump is missing (assuming you took it out since it locked up)?

I had thought that the air pump only "helped" during the first few minutes of a cold start, but I could very well be wrong about that.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJS V12, 62,000 miles

Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 PM

I'm not sure of the exact workings of the smog pump, but, CA does conduct a visual inspection and all parts have to be present. Kind of a pisser that even if you could pass emissions without all of the equipment, you have to also pass visual. I believe that if you pass visual and fail the emissions portion you only have to spend X dollars, might be $500, to get it to pass and then I think you get some kind of exemption or even state help. If you fail and have removed, modified or tampered with the equipment I think it becomes a matter of fix it regardless of cost or don't drive the car. At least this is how I understand it, I've never been caught up in it. The test is every 2 years and now we have roadside inspections set up at random locations.

Probably way more than you wanted to know.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by J_C_R
I had thought that the air pump only "helped" during the first few minutes of a cold start, but I could very well be wrong about that.

Right.

A water temp switch in the RH water rail controls a "switching valve". Air from the air injection valve goes thru the switching valve to the air injection rails when the engine is cold. The switching valve diverts air to (as I recall) the RH air filter housing when the engine warms up.

I "think" the switch occurs at about 150ºF coolant temp.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Zar
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars are tested on a Dyno here in California. I think they do it at 15 mph and then at 25 mph. The visual inspection is so inconsistent between smog techs. When the PO of my car had it tested before I bought it, it failed because the timing was off. Hard to believe that a smog tech actually took the time to check the timing on a V12 Jag. When I got it smoged the tech just ran it on the dyno and looked under the hood for 5 seconds and called it good.

Terry, where is the Jag bone yard in So. Cal?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im nor cal and they just started this new smog law called star certified smog station only. they now do very exstensive visual checks but the other thing that really sucks is that they can no longer do prestests. where as before they can run it and if it didnt pass they wouldnt put in the system and they would let you fix then bring it back. so basically now it goes under fail automatically.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Terry
The test is every 2 years and now we have roadside inspections set up at random locations.

Heh heh, those random roadside check go back to the 70s. They'd funnel traffic down to one lane and if you didn't have the little black sticker in your windshield, they pulled you out of line.

I removed all my emissions equipment from my Mustang. I was able to successfully remove a sticker from an abandoned car (Dad's '62 Buick, as i recall) and re-apply it to my own windshield so I was always waved through. When true inspection time came due there was always "a friend of a friend" who worked at an inspection station who would issue a "smog certificate" in exchange for a couple twenties. :-)

Later the laws and enforcement....and penalties for fraud....became very instense. People were getting hit with heavy fines etc for kinking the system.

In the early 90s there was a guy running an inspection station in Northern California with the same last name as me. The BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair...a force to be reckoned with) caught him in a massive smog certificate and auto-repair scam. As I was also in the auto repair business (in Southern Cal) I was ...um..."visited" by a couple BAR guys who wanted to know if I was related to him! He ended up in jail as I recall.

I left Cali in '94. I can't say that I miss all the "smog certificate" hassles from both a repair shop perspective and ordinary citizen perspective.

But, the air was a helluva lot cleaner when I left than it was in the 60s, that's for sure!

Cheers
DD

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Since birth, I have always enjoyed breathing. I guess there is a price for that habit.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM

Zar,

The place is Elite Auto Parts its on Glenoaks Blvd in Sun Valley/San Fernando. The number I have is 818-516-2413. I believe it is very close to Burbank airport.

I haven't been out there yet, but, I hear good things about the parts supply, service and the people. I am saving the trip until I really need something...........I already have too many things I can't live without!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
Since birth, I have always enjoyed breathing.

Me too !

I guess there is a price for that habit.

Yes, there is, including keeping the emissions control equipment on your car in place and operating properly.....and slogging thru the hassle of inspections and certifications. Both can be difficult at times....and expensive.

The alternative is:

L.A.'s Smoggy Past, in Photos | History | SoCal Focus | KCET

Cheers
DD