XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Soft-top mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft-top mechanics

Have bought myself a restoration project, and will have a lot of questions to ask later on, but right now I have a question about the soft-top mechanics.
The soft-top operates ok, starts to fold quite well, but need some physical help folding down all the way. And the same goes for folding up, needs help starting to rise. The elektro-motor revs up at the end of folding down, and at start of rising, so I guess it's all about low oil level. But I can not find any oil tank for this system. Maybe this is a closed system with just the right amount of oil present? If this is the case, is it possible to top up with oil?
I ask this silly question because I have NO experience with convertibles.

PS! The car is not converted by H&E or Lynx. I have not found who did this work, but i guess the mechanics is the same for all electric-hydraulic convertibles.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by esvanes
Have bought myself a restoration project, and will have a lot of questions to ask later on, but right now I have a question about the soft-top mechanics.
The soft-top operates ok, starts to fold quite well, but need some physical help folding down all the way. And the same goes for folding up, needs help starting to rise. The elektro-motor revs up at the end of folding down, and at start of rising, so I guess it's all about low oil level. But I can not find any oil tank for this system. Maybe this is a closed system with just the right amount of oil present? If this is the case, is it possible to top up with oil?
I ask this silly question because I have NO experience with convertibles.

PS! The car is not converted by H&E or Lynx. I have not found who did this work, but i guess the mechanics is the same for all electric-hydraulic convertibles.
Congratulations on the purchase! Do you have any pictures? Would be interesting to see how your conversion was done.

An '84 convertible is a custom job as you say. I'd start poking around for the motor... possibly in the boot? If it is indeed hydraulic, could be a bypass line that isn't completely shut, or low on oil as you suggest...

Cheers,

- Will

Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by macboots
Congratulations on the purchase! Do you have any pictures? Would be interesting to see how your conversion was done.

An '84 convertible is a custom job as you say. I'd start poking around for the motor... possibly in the boot? If it is indeed hydraulic, could be a bypass line that isn't completely shut, or low on oil as you suggest...

Cheers,

- Will
The car is still at the sellers garage. Must assemble the Triumph Spitfire in order to make room for my new cat. But there will be a lot of pictures/questions/discussions regarding the conversion later on!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

You need to track that pump down as macboots says. Presumably you can hear where it is.
Take a pic + post it.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by macboots

Cheers,

- Will
Here is a picture of the soft-top. This soft-top does not fold down as much as a H&E soft-top. But there is a fabric cover to put over when folded down.
And there's a back seat in this car! The back seat is not modified, but the side panels are a bit wider to make room for the mechanics. I'll post more pictures when i get this cat home.

Attached Thumbnails Soft-top mechanics-008.jpg