XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Steering / stopping XJS question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts
Default RE: Steering / stopping XJS question

the playcould be: 1) the inner steering column bushes,(assuming your inner column has bushings) or 2) the Rack bushings allowing side-to-side movement of the rack & pinion which is being transmitted to the steering wheel.The latter is a common problem with the XJ-6 Series III cars of 1980-1987. For the Rackproblem, John's Cars in Houston TX has a polyurethane bushings-and-bracket kit that eliminated the problem in my '84 XJ-6.After 10 years of using those, they're still going strong. You can also ask them about the steering column play to see if they have any advice. http://johnscars.com/

Having said that, I had horrible play in the inner steering column (and steering wheel) of my '65 S type which required replacing the Top (the end of the column at the steering wheel) and the Bottom (the end of the column at the firewall) Inner-Column Bushings.

4 years ago I paid $4.14 for the "new-improved" rubber bushings (they were originally madeof horse hair!). Removing the Inner Steering Column requires a Service Manual every step of the way, don't try to guess your way through, it will not work. If you can't find those bushings for the XJ-S, contact XK's Unlimited in San Jose, California, that's where I got mine. http://www.xks.com/

So: you need a Service Manual, Jag dealer, $25., two inner-column bushes around $10.00,(don't hold me to that price), and maybe the rack bushing kit from John's Cars, another $25.or higher if they have increased the price.

If you can do all the laboryourself, you're in business, -sweat-equity-.

The u-joint linkage from the column to the rack? you can wait to see if the column bushes resolve the problem. You canstart out with a good used one, I know where they might have them.

Let me know what you find out. And before I forget, that's one nice '85 XJS...

Jose

Old 05-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts
Default RE: Steering / stopping XJS question

Wayne, I agree, some of those prices don't make sense. But do a lot more price checking, the links you posted are not known for low prices. I've been shopping Jaguar parts suppliers for the last 16 years and I can tell you that prices vary, and that's understating it.Checkgoogle.com, click on IMAGES, then type the +part name +1985 +XJS, If you search the WEB, you get a lot of junk advertisements.

The inner-column bushings I'm referring to, would be on each end of Part 1 on the link that you posted,assuming there is an inner-column in there. (see the eBay link below).

also check:
http://www.jagbits.com

try eBay, you'd be amazed, for example I just found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...spagenameZWDVW

I know the seller, (Frank). I've purchased stuff from him, and if the part is not what you expect, he'll take it back, send you another one, etc.

also check eBay Canada, lots of Jag parts there and the US dollar buys more there.

Sorry about the Service Manual sermon, most people never buy one, you are already way ahead of the game! Based on what you've described and done already, it's obvious the vibration can be traced to the shaft, so start out with a used one for the least amount of money to check if the problem is alleviated or dissapears, then you can keep shopping for a new one until you find a great deal.I always try "substitution" as the Service Manual says...and that means spending the least amount possible before buying a new part.

Jose