XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Still no window motor...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts
Default Still no window motor...advice?

So its been something like 3 or 4 months now. I have had probably 4 transactions gone wrong in various marketplaces and still don't have the door panel on my car and with a screwdriver holding in the window.

Looking for a few cents on my options.
1. Buy an old pre-88 motor with regulator, the fat kind.

problem here is what if THAT one eventually goes bad??

2. Buy new kind with regulator

problem here is that is nearly 300 dollars

I am conflicted because I don't think you can replace those old fat motors with new ones, so if those ever broke I would continue to buy used ones or have to buy the 300 dollar motor and regulator.

NEW motors for the new regulators aren't that expensive, but the regulator is.
As I have posted before I have the widely undocumented 10 tooth motor that cannot be purchased and noone has heard of. So nothing fits my regulator except the motor noone knows exists.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Go to your nearest HotRod shop and see if they can turn you to a regulator and motor that can be used for repair. Lots of aftermarket parts are available for these types of lost parts repairs.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you positive its not the window switch on the console. If not sure, just remove the screws on the ski slope and lift up. switch the wire conection from the left window switch to the right side switch and try it. Youll know if its the switch or the motor. Could also be the plug coming loose at the motor.. good luck.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Most all motors can be repaired. Usually they only need brushes changed. Rare for the armature to burn out.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

+1 on possible motor repairs.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 AM

The reg and motor out of later one will it fit with glass and all?

Last edited by motomental; 09-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Finding window motors - especially IMO for the rear quarter windows - is harder than finding gold in your own backyard. I don't have anything useful to add, but I do feel your pain.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 AM

Give me a jingle I might have what you need at moto mental73@gmail.com

Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Jaguar dealership replace my window motor about 8 years ago. Very expensive.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davisalln
Are you positive its not the window switch on the console. If not sure, just remove the screws on the ski slope and lift up. switch the wire connection from the left window switch to the right side switch and try it. Youll know if its the switch or the motor. Could also be the plug coming loose at the motor.. good luck.
No it is not the switch, I have actually removed the motor, removed the cover and watched the gears seperate, both switches are fine in my car.

Originally Posted by dsetter
Most all motors can be repaired. Usually they only need brushes changed. Rare for the armature to burn out.

The plastic ring gear that runs againt the worm gear is stripped out and pops off of the worm gear.
This ring gear is mounted on a rubber disc of some sort that is held in place by the shaft that spins the outside gear that drives the regulator. This is pressed in place and I cannot remove it to change the gear, nor have i seen a replacement.

Originally Posted by motomental
The reg and motor out of later one will it fit with glass and all?
No a different year doesnt work, its a very specific 10 tooth motor. if you put in a newer or older motor on that regulator the teeth of the regulator and gears do not match and it will bind. A regulator and motor WILL work but it's a lot more expensive than buying a motor. That is my only option though.
The older motors are bigger but it will all fit, the door is the same. The only ones I would be unsure of is a motor and regulator out of a later series, after the update.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 09-16-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 AM

I've same problem, looking for a window motor for my 1990 Jaguar XJS 12V 5.3 convertible LHD (SAJJNADW4DM174681), passenger right side. No chance so far on ebay. Original P/N is JLM 1495. I wonder whether anybody knows if this motor is installed in other Jaguar models. Somebody mentioned late 80s XJ6. Any suggestion?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by JagJagJag
I've same problem, looking for a window motor for my 1990 Jaguar XJS 12V 5.3 convertible LHD (SAJJNADW4DM174681), passenger right side. No chance so far on ebay. Original P/N is JLM 1495. I wonder whether anybody knows if this motor is installed in other Jaguar models. Somebody mentioned late 80s XJ6. Any suggestion?

If we assume "late 80s XJ6" = the XJ40 series then things are no less complicated as a quick peek here....

Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for Classic Jaguars from Jaguar Classic Parts UK

.....shows that that model has multiple choices/supercessions as well.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Default Original XJS window motor wanted

Thanks Doug.
The Jaguar Service Bulletin JD 18/92 dated November 1992,confirms that the original Delco motor P/N JLM 1495 has been replaced, for the convertible up to VIN 179736 (my case) by the P/N JLM 10578 (that include the regulator).
This part is not available as new also at Jaguar Classic Parts UK.
I've been offered one used by SC Parts at 800,00 GBP: too expensive.

Again my point is whether anybony is aware if the original Delco motor (Jaguar code JLM 1495) has been fit into other cars.
Or may be into some old Delco catalogue where there is a reference between the Delco code and the JLM 1495, so that from there I may check whether this part is used also elsewere.
All above would help to widen my ebay search.

Just an idea, because I'not going to spend 8000 GBP for a window motor...
Thank you.
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Have you tried going to a high performance machine shop? They should be able to fabricate a new gear out of Delrin or some such polymer. They will probably be able to devise a way to remove the pressed on part and reassemble. Might be worth a try?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Again my point is whether anybony is aware if the original Delco motor (Jaguar code JLM 1495) has been fit into other cars.
Or may be into some old Delco catalogue where there is a reference between the Delco code and the JLM 1495, so that from there I may check whether this part is used also elsewere.

Just an idea, because I'not going to spend 8000 GBP for a window motor...

I just made a fresh pot of coffee, opened a pack of smokes, and have some time. I'll see what I can find out.

Meanwhile.....

What is the nature of the motor failure in your case? If it's purely electrical then you can probably fix it or have it fixed.

Or, perhaps do what I did on my '88. In that case (and perhaps yours) the motor itself was virtually generic but the drive mechanism (as discussed above) was unique. I bought a window motor locally for $49 and simply swapped the Jaguar-specific drive mechanism onto the new motor.

However, if your drive mechanism has failed....well....the problem is obviously more difficult.

A few years ago I replaced a window motor mon an '89 XJS. The vendor sold an adapter kit that eliminated the need to replace the window regulator. I'll try to remember the details on that. And, that car was a coupe, not a convertible. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not getting anywhere.

I don't find where that *actual part number* had any other Jaguar application.

Jaguar may have used a virtually identical motor elsewhere but I'm not sure. A different connector, or use of different sized fasteners (for example) would mean a different part number would've been assigned to a motor that might be perfetly suitable for your needs with a couple very simple modifications....such as splicing your existing connector onto the new motor.

I think the "late 80s XJ6" angle is a dead end. "Late 80s" could be XJ40 or Ser III and, in both cases, it looks like the motors are substantially different than XJS motors....if parts catalog illustrations can be trusted.

Any search/research involving "AC Delco" is just too big to sift thru. I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that AC Delco is global. It's sometimes incorrectly assumed that anything labeled "AC Delco" will always have a use/application on a General Motors car or truck. Not true as far as I can tell.

Does your motor have any casting numbers, or labels with any numbers? Sometimes those are helpful.

Anyhow, I'm sure there's *something* out there for you. Window motors are rather mundane. It would be most unusual for Jaguar (or whoever they contracted with to supply window mechanisms) to specify some sort of custom-specification, Jaguar-only motor. Much more likely they would've picked an off-the-shelf design that had at least a few other applications...but which one? That's the question, of course.

The coffee pot is empty so I'm throwing in the towel

Cheers
DD

Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, I guess I didn't wrap this thread up.
I ended up purchasing a use set of old window motors WITH regulators. The big fat round ones. They fit perfectly with no modifications. My drivers window now goes up twice as fast as my passenger.

At least there are MORE of these available if i need another. If I ever just need some total custom solution I think that will be a ways down the road.

Today I actually have 2 in total and totally converted my car to the older style.

EDIT:

SCREW the 10 tooth window motor. If you have one and need it replaced convert to the newer or older style and get the setup WITH regulators. You can get replacement motors for these but not the mystical non-existent 10 tooth motor

Last edited by sidescrollin; 12-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:23 AM

Thanks all for your support.
The problem is not electrical, but is the gearbox housing that cracked. The problem started when the window time to time stuck on mid way. The reason may be was the worn plastic gear. But the as a major consequence, due to the efforts, the fixing screws of the motor to the base plate got loose so that the main gear moved away from the regulator: in consequence the vibrations, due to the wider clearance, created cracks on the housing of the gearbox connected to the motor. I’m not sure if I’ve been clear to you, but in fact the part I have to replace is the gear box that is part of the motor, not the latter that is fine.
I may look just for a gearbox and fit my motor in, but it may be hopeless search. BTW on the gearbox casting there is a number "772" and a code B.S.1004A.
Same BS 1004A code appears on a Lotus Esprit window motor.
Before making a new ourchase I like to wait for some more reliable sugegstion. In fact I have purchased twice already wrong motors.
What do you think? Regards.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Before making a new ourchase I like to wait for some more reliable sugegstion. In fact I have purchased twice already wrong motors.
What do you think? Regards.

The *reliable* choice is to buy the revised motor and regulator. Problem solved, but you'll be much poorer

Saving money means more effort and less reliable choices. Continued searching for the motor, perhaps finding a used motor, or perhaps investigating a complete motor and regulator replacement from an earlier or later model as Sidescrollin did.

I have to wonder if the existing regulator can be modified to take a more common window motor? Perhaps the large regulator gear from an older coupe regualtor could be installed on your convertible regulator, and thus open up your field of motor choices? I dunno.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know if this will help at all, but I needed a window motor for my passenger door and bought one on Ebay but it wasn't the right gear and I payed a lot for it so I made it work. You see the gears cogs were THICKER than the original so I painstakingly filed out the teeth on the window lift section. Eventually the motor fit into the three bolt holes and moved the gear and thus the window. This same tecnique might also work for the rear window lift if you're willing to do the adaptive work. Hope this helped. Bud

Quick Reply: Still no window motor...advice?