XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Temporary ABS system removal - how?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Temporary ABS system removal - how?

Hi all!

As I need some welding done, I want to get the ABS system removed (temp! Not for ever!).

How is the best way to remove the pedal box (auto) and the pump base? And worst of all: how would you drain the brake fluid best? I don't want to remove the ABS system for ever, as I am a fan of ABS and with nearly 300 ponies, I'd like some kind of braking help (I like to think that I am a good driver, but I don't think I would react well when it comes to pumping the brakes in an emergency situation)...

Also, what parts would I need to order new (if at all)?

Cheers

Damien

Old 10-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Damien,

Do you mean that you want to fit a working non-ABS system temporarily? If so, I suspect that the easiest way is to completely remove the actuator and reservoir assembly, fit a pre-ABS servo, master cylinder and reservoir and make up some pipes to fit from the new master cylinder to the current output pipes from the removed valve-block assembly to the wheel circuits. You could plug the pipes to and from the pump and leave that in situ. You'll have lights flashing as a result of the ecu thinking there's failures of the system but that won't matter if it's really necessary to drive like this.

It seems a lot of work, with implications for insurance etc etc. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to change the system?

Cheers

Paul

Old 10-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

No, just want to remove all front brake system to do some rust repair work... At the same time I want to rebuild the lot...

Old 10-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Hi Daim

The whole assembly is only held in by 4 nuts and once you have got those undone the whole thing including the Brake pedal just lifts out of the pedal box as one unit.

You don't even need to separate the reservoir from the ABS Actuator and in fact its best if you don't.

So the only thing to worry about is not spilling any brake fluid over the paintwork.

De-pressurise the system, as I'm sure that you know how to do and then bleed as much fluid as you can out of one of the Calipers.

Even when the reservoir looks empty, there will still be plenty of Brake Fluid left inside it, so when you pull that 'Braided Tube' off, then Brake Fluid will come pouring out.

So stuff rag everywhere you can and have lots of water handy to wash down any spills in the Engine compartment and pull out any Brake Fluid soaked rag from underneath the Car.

Then cover the Wings etc with plenty of old Towels just in case you get a few drips when you finally lift it out.

If you're very careful and just use common sense, then you shouldn't have any problems at all, just be very careful NOT to drip any Brake Fluid on the Paintwork.

If your ABS is working ok then I wouldn't pull it apart, unless you intend to rewire it, as no spare parts are available and you could do more harm than good.

So the only thing you would need to renew, is the Pedal Box Gasket.

You could either use Silicone or do what I did and cut one out of the smooth side of a New hot Water Bottle.

I know how you love to pull things apart but if the ABS is working, then I wouldn't do so unless it develops a problem and you absolutely don't have any choice.

To someone like you who takes Engines out, as if it were nothing at all, then this should be one of the easiest jobs that you have ever done on any Car.

Even I can do it in well under an hour! and I am not even a Mechanic.

Just be careful Not to spill any Brake Fluid.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...photos-140828/

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-31-2016 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Daim (10-31-2016), Greg in France (11-01-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers OB...

Well, I don't have calipers on at the front... So that should help a bit

As it looks, I imagined it all too complicated...

Cheers again!

Old 11-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Removed it all today and am quite surprised at how easy it went...

2 screws, 2 nuts and a few plugs and brake lines... I found it easier to undo the brace bar on that side too... And wow, did I find some funny stuff there!