XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Transmission Mount Busing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Mount Busing Replacement

I just finished the replacement of the rubber bushing in the rear transmission mount of my 1990 XJS Convertible V12. What a mother of a job but no more bang bang on bumps. Sweet.

I thought I would leave a few comments if they could help someone else who has this repair on their plate.

1. My car is completely stock so it has the original exhaust system on it. With that in mind, I was unable to remove the rear transmission mount plate that is held on by 4 bolts. The exhaust was in the way. There are several posts on various sites on the internet that suggested that the pipes could be moved a little but not removed. I couldn't move my enough for the mount plate to clear the exhaust. The only way was to drop one side of the exhaust or the other. The easiest way to do this was to loosen the clamp on the exhaust pipe just ahead of the transmission and remove the 3 bolts at the arch at the back wheel and remove that section. Made life way more simple. I wish I had known this before I started. I spent too long trying to convice that plate to come out between the pipes. Even if it would come out, reinstalling the 2 bolts under the plate is next to impossible with the pipes in place. YMMV but I won't waste time next time. Down comes one pipe.

2. There is a metal tube in the transmission tunnel that is held on by one plastic clip. The clip on mine broken and the tube would rub against the u-joint and make a loud clicking noise when in gear. I had to take the whole mount apart a second time to install a new clamp. A heads up if you are about to pull your rear mount apart. Check the tube and clip while it's apart.

3. The instructions in the shop manual work but aren't the best, IMO. The best detailed instructions I could find are at the site shown below. He's upgrading the mount. I wanted to stay stock (masochist I guess) and so just used the removal instruction at his site. Replacing and Upgrading the Transmission Mount

Hope that helps someone undertaking this little project that seems is needed on every XJS eventually. Tom.

The following users liked this post:
buddyluv (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

ive got a few comments to help someone in need of this repair......

Ive got a transmisison mount for sale.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Mount Bushing Replacement

Don't know how to edit the thread topic on this forum but I meant bushing not busing.