XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Trunk Lock Cylinder repair? XJS 92

Old 06-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trunk Lock Cylinder repair? XJS 92

My trunk lock cylinder appears to be seized and it seems that replacements are hard (impossible?) to obtain.
I contacted KWE in the UK and they recommended going to an expert locksmith willing to do it.
Anyway have ideas of someone who would tackle something like that in Canada or the US?
The guy who does body work on my car said that it is hard to find locksmiths who are willing to spend time like that.
I looked online for past experience with this on this forum and the only one I found was for a much later car and I presume locks change all the time.
If there was some past description of taking the cylinder apart I would be interested if someone can direct me towards that posting.
Incidentally the trunk is locking and unlocking fine electrically.
Bill
1992 XJS coupe

Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Have you tried, boot lid open, aerosolling anti seize stuff into the lock, and after a few hours of that, retrying a bit of key joggling?
If you can open the lid electrically, removing the lock is dead easy, and I reckon just about any locksmith could unjam it if you left him the lock and the key. The real problems start when you cannot open the lid at all!