XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

An Unpleasant Surprise (Front Subframe Mounts)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts
Default An Unpleasant Surprise (Front Subframe Mounts)

Ever set out on what should be a simple job on your jag only to open a can of worms that you wish you could close again? I present to you, my Sunday afternoon:

Since I bought my most recent xj-s (an '86) I have been addressing problems here and there and today's assignment was to address the complete vagueness in the steering and wandering around the road which I diagnosed as shot outer tie rod ends.

THAT was 10 minute job, no big deal; but what I noticed halfway through was "not the good part". The front subframe V mounts are disintegrated.

Now I already searched the forum and found Greg's thread about replacing the V mounts so I have a rough idea about what's involved. I think I'll replace all 4 front subframe mounts at the same time and then move on to all the suspension bushings at a later date.

It sounds like it's possible to replace these 4 rubber mounts without dropping the subframe all the way but any advice or wisdom on this subject as always, would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. does anyone have pictures of how they have supported the engine during the front subframe removal?

Last edited by EcbJag; 07-23-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by EcbJag
Ever set out on what should be a simple job on your jag only to open a can of worms that you wish you could close again? I present to you, my Sunday afternoon:

Since I bought my most recent xj-s (an '86) I have been addressing problems here and there and today's assignment was to address the complete vagueness in the steering and wandering around the road which I diagnosed as shot outer tie rod ends.

THAT was 10 minute job, no big deal; but what I noticed halfway through was "not the good part". The front subframe V mounts are disintegrated.

Now I already searched the forum and found Greg's thread about replacing the V mounts so I have a rough idea about what's involved. I think I'll replace all 4 front subframe mounts at the same time and then move on to all the suspension bushings at a later date.

It sounds like it's possible to replace these 4 rubber mounts without dropping the subframe all the way but any advice or wisdom on this subject as always, would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. does anyone have pictures of how they have supported the engine during the front subframe removal?
It is some years since l did this job but as far as l remember it was pretty straightforward to change in position. Stands under front jacking points with car in air a little and a trolley jack under front suspension crossmember for support and then change out one front bushing at a time then remove rear V mount bottom studs and lower jack just enough to remove and replace those mounts. The rears are a pain but you can get to them with a little effort. If your engine mounts have hardened or are starting to break up it might pay to just loosen one of the nuts on them slightly to avoid stress.

The following users liked this post:
EcbJag (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

You have to support the engine with a cross beam and chains to the front lifting eyes first. Site the beam about 3 inches rearwards of the eyes or else the engine tens to move forward and getting the engine mount studs back into their brackets on the engine is a problem. Then undo the engine mounts using a ratchet spanner 9/16ths,
Then do Baxtor's thing with the stands under the body and the jack under the subframe.
Then undo the bottom shocker bolts, then loosen off the huge front mount bolts but do not remove them. Then undo the V mount nuts and lower the rear of the subframe just enough to get a spanner on the front mounting bolts of the V mount - which is the difficult one. If you are careful you do not have to undo the brake flexible, but be careful not to stress it.

Once the V mounts are done, the next difficulty is loosening the clamp bolt and nut that goes round the front six shot mount, they may be easier to loosen with the subframe still swung down. If not, you may have to remove the rad to get at the top of the fixing. See what is possible. replace these one at a time and ensure the subframe is very well supported if you do this while the V mounts are still unattached.

The following users liked this post:
EcbJag (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:24 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

I made one of timber, + length of bed iron and a couple of hooks from a hardware shop, oh and some wood feet and gorilla works fine

Last edited by rgp; 07-24-2018 at 06:07 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rgp:
EcbJag (07-24-2018), Greg in France (07-28-2018), ronbros (07-25-2018), Vee (07-24-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I made mine from timber too, 2 6x4 sistered with 3/4 ply in the middle

Old 07-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
I made mine from timber too, 2 6x4 sistered with 3/4 ply in the middle

I would be worried about bending the metal that is supporting the weight of the motor. Just saying.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Even the purpose-built tool has a similar footprint. Those sills are sturdy. If I were making one I’d make longer feet, but that’s just unfounded fear on my part.