XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

USB Adapter for XJS Cigar Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default USB Adapter for XJS Cigar Lighter

I have a '94 XJS and cannot get a USB Adapter to work in the Cigar Lighter which does work. Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you solve it?

Old 12-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by xjsrookie
I have a '94 XJS and cannot get a USB Adapter to work in the Cigar Lighter which does work. Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you solve it?

try a different USB Adapter
I do not smoke so
http://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Charger-Socket-Iphone-Marine/dp/B00MNGCDVS/ref=pd_sim_200_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41YJsIptH4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1FBDRN5MXP1SPFPC46FJ http://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Charger-Socket-Iphone-Marine/dp/B00MNGCDVS/ref=pd_sim_200_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41YJsIptH4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1FBDRN5MXP1SPFPC46FJ

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket: Sports & Outdoors

replacing the lighter and putting cup holders in...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 12-02-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Default Great Suggestion

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
try a different USB Adapter
I do not smoke so
http://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Charger...5MXP1SPFPC46FJ

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket: Sports & Outdoors

replacing the lighter and putting cup holders in...

Jonaothan, this is a great idea. I have also ordered one for my '01 Saab Aero Wagon which needs more USB Ports. Also send me a picture of the cup holder project if it's done. Did you have to replace the 'ski slope'?

Old 12-05-2015, 02:14 AM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I use one of of these Flush Fitting USB Vehicle Lighter 12V Power Charger Adaptor | eBay its works fine in my 89. Because the cut out for the ski slope is an odd shape keeping the orginal fitting seems easier and it matches the cruise on the other side. Its fush fitting, looks good and I changed the lighter illumination when I did the led swap so now the lighter glows a nice green to match everthing else.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:04 AM
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

I mounted a "permanent" USB -3 port unit in place of the passenger side
ash tray and wired it into the +12vdc wiring in the ski slope.
Then the battery started to go down in a 3-4 day period.
This was with no devices plugged into the USB ports.
I removed the unit and the battery did not go down as quickly
(8-9 days).
It did prompt me to install a battery maintainer external access jack.
Which in the long run should prolong my battery life.
So, be careful as to what type of USB plug devices you use.
The ashtray is back in place by the way.

P O R - Press On Regardless

Old 12-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by scarbro2011
I mounted a "permanent" USB -3 port unit in place of the passenger side
ash tray and wired it into the +12vdc wiring in the ski slope.
Then the battery started to go down in a 3-4 day period.
This was with no devices plugged into the USB ports.
I removed the unit and the battery did not go down as quickly
(8-9 days).
It did prompt me to install a battery maintainer external access jack.
Which in the long run should prolong my battery life.
So, be careful as to what type of USB plug devices you use.
The ashtray is back in place by the way.

P O R - Press On Regardless
there is was a switch brown wire under the center console...
should not run your battery down if you used that one to power usb / voltage meter

Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
there is was a switch brown wire under the center console...
should not run your battery down if you used that one to power usb / voltage meter
Coming in late to this thread. I have three items:
1. Isn't the cigar lighter receptacle a standard item for most cars, meaning why wouldn't a USB charger work on the XJS if it works in other cars? I power various devices from mine on my '94, including a battery charger/maintainer with no connection issues, ever.
2. Most brown wires under the dash or console are power source wires that go directly to the firewall battery studs, meaning always hot, whether the ignition is on or off, good for charging
USB devices.
3. Charging an USB device demands so little current that it won't affect the car's battery.

My 2 cents

Cheers,

Old 12-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Hi Reinaldo, I can't respond to what is normal, just that a number of (3) USB Cigarette Lighter Adapters would not work in my Cigar Lighter.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Reinaldo, I can't respond to what is normal, just that a number of (3) USB Cigarette Lighter Adapters would not work in my Cigar Lighter.
What is the indication to you that is not working? Are you doing this with ign on or off? What happens if you plug in your cell phone to the cigar lighter receptacle? Does the cell screen say anything at all about being charged? Have you actually confirmed that you have power in the receptacle with ign on? Is your cigar lighter working when you push it in? Does your plug in device have an LED, many of them do.

Myself, I have changed the power source to the cigar lighter to always hot. It's more convenient and I'll do the same with the power windows supply, so I don't have to be turning the ignition on just to roll the windows up or down.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 AM

Good Morning Forcedair1,
Here are the answers to your questions:

• Are you doing this with ign on or off?
    • Both on and off.
  • What happens if you plug in your cell phone to the cigar lighterreceptacle?
    • No indication of charging at all.
  • Does the cell screen say anything at all about being charged?
    • No
  • Have you actually confirmed that you have power in the receptaclewith ign on?
    • The cigar lighter works.
  • Is your cigar lighter working when you push it in?
  • Does your plug in device have an LED, many of them do.
    • Tried 3, some with a light, others not.

Since I no longer smoke, removingthe lighter and replacing it with a multiple port is adapter is the direction I’mtaking.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member

It seems to me that your cigar lighter receptacle needs a close inspection with an eye loop, looking for either dirty or defective contacts, both + and - including measuring depth and comparing it to that of your other car which works fine. But if you're changing your cigar lighter with something else, then it's a non- issue.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2017, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got the power restored to the lighter (lose wire), but the two USB Adapters don't work either. They fit, but just don't click in and make electrical contact

any progress?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I did this to my XJ8... The hole is the same size as a standard cigar lighter... Just need to make sure the depth is there.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Default USB Ports for the XJS

Buy this from Amazon <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082CXEI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>. It installs easily in the same hole and the terminal lugs should slide right on. You'll then have 2 USB Ports and no lighter. Don't throw away the lighter, the new owner will want it if you ever sell the car.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I've done just fine so far with the cigar lighters and adapter plugs for each of my cars. Not USB, albeit.

But, a couple of decades ago, I needed to fuss around with one in another car for an ancient Noxia cell phone "in the car" charger. USB, could be. All long gone. But, the point was that I needed and an adapter for the cigar lighter and that allowed the cell connector to fit. POINT. All cigar lighters are not alike!!!

Visit the junk yard and select one that "likes" your USB!!!

Carl

Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Problem with these ports - on a side note - are, that they don't charge with a full mains power input... It can take a long time to charge a phone. If you use it for navigation etc., then you will only just manage to keep it running (without the power dropping).

Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Daim:

Why would that be? The resistor that gets hot is in the removable part. The female part gets volts from the ignition switch as Jaguar is prone to do. but, others go to battery direct. All the full 12v as far as I know...

When I use my patch cord to plug my VOM in to the lighter outlet, t reads full volts???

But, electrickery is far from my strong suite!!!

Carl

Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

It is the amps (better milliamps), not the volts that matter in this case.

As said, I have the fitting as shown here above somewhere in my X308. It charges but very slowly. My mains charger would charge a lot quicker.

My phone and my tablet both use the same charger and both need ages to even gain 1%. Just like charging on a computer though. Computer output to a mobile device isn't as high as it could be... Probably due to data and co...

Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Here I go where I should not go. Now, the charger may be happy with just a few amps, even milliamps, and as such, draw no more. But, lots more are there to be sued.
As, the heat element in the male insert wants more than mere milliamps.

Well, the battery in my Jeep agreed to accept a full charge to 100%. Forgot to check the actual volts. Cleaned the posts and cables to shiny bright. It cranked happily, but did not fire!!! I think I smelled raw fuel !!! More diagnostics to do. My approach on easies first didn't work. However, an engine that will crank is a gotta be for the next steps!!!

Daughter's Passat in the garage. Fix plan determined. Shop straightened out a bit. I do not like working in the midst of clutter...

Carl

Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

The reason these USB chargers charge slower than mains chargers is because they contain circuitry that ensures the voltage and current conforms to USB specifications of 5V output, current limited to 500mA

Mains chargers will provide 5V at 1A, I believe some cigar lighter USB may be available that allow this also.

Later mains powered USB chargers for Snapdragon based Android phone will output 9V or even 12V and allow up to 2A current via negotiations with power supply circuitry in the phone that monitors phone battery temperature.

​​​​​​​

The following 3 users liked this post by Paul_59:
Daim (03-28-2017), Jonathan-W (03-28-2017), orangeblossom (03-28-2017)

Quick Reply: USB Adapter for XJS Cigar Lighter