XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Water everywhere! Well almost.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water everywhere! Well almost.

Hello all. I have a 1994 XJS V12. Two issues. Primarily though the issue I am seeking advice on has to do with water. When washing the car, it seems water is finding it's way behind the dash on both sides and running onto the floor. I have narrowed this down, I believe, to being related to the air inlet grill area at the base of the windshield. The other is I have noticed engine compartment smells inside the vehicle on occasion. Could these be related? I have capped the air inlets on the firewall which feed outside air to the HVAC system with no change regarding the engine smells.

Kelly
1994 XJS V12
35,000 original miles

Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by ktrumper
Hello all. I have a 1994 XJS V12. Two issues. Primarily though the issue I am seeking advice on has to do with water. When washing the car, it seems water is finding it's way behind the dash on both sides and running onto the floor. I have narrowed this down, I believe, to being related to the air inlet grill area at the base of the windshield. The other is I have noticed engine compartment smells inside the vehicle on occasion. Could these be related? I have capped the air inlets on the firewall which feed outside air to the HVAC system with no change regarding the engine smells.

Kelly
1994 XJS V12
35,000 original miles
I am sorry to say that there is a very high chance that you either have a windscreen that is coming unbonded, or serious corrosion under the windscreen brightwork at the bottom corners of the 'screen, or in the scuttle where the wiper motor sits and the entrances to the aircon/heater blowers are. The brightwork for sure, and possibly the wing (fender) has to be removed, to see.

If the car is unlikely to be rusty, the screen bonding is a strong candidiate, and any screen shop can refix it quite easily. Just recently there was an article in the JEC mag, showing a facelift that had both of these problems, about 10 square inches of metal had disappeared beneath the brightwork at the corner of the 'screen!

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-04-2012 at 02:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Noah (10-04-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks Greg. The car is very unlikey to be a candidate for rust. There are zero tell-tale rust signs anywhere. The windscreen seal is also very secure, however, it is OEM. I suspect there is a concern where the wiper motor resides though. The plenen between the hood and windscreen is where I believe the water is traveling into. I just cant see were it's going afterwards. My hope is there is a seal somewhere down there that is bad. Is this the same area you wee referring to and suggesting the fender may need to be removed?????

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,914 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I have had this before and it was caused by blocked drains running from the front corners of the roof down behind the chrome windscreen strips. I had the job done at a garage so don't actually know where the drains lead to but if they block it dribbles into the footwell.
Steve

Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks Steve. I will double check this area too. I also found some interesting information from a XJS guide book written Kirby Palm. His book is a free PDF download. Just search for Kirby Palm XJS. There is a chapter stricly on water leaks. The following areas I'll be checking too.

Page 466
WATER LEAKS - A/C SYSTEM: Bob Tilley investigated the cause of water leaking from his air conditioning system during rainy weather. It turned out that the plastic cover over the windscreen wiper motor had deteriorated and started breaking apart -- a common problem discussed on page 618. In Tilley’s case, the various parts of the cover found their way into the drain pipes that feed from the wiper area through the engine compartment and out through the wheel wells. The drains end with a rubber elbow, and the plastic parts got lodged in it and plugged it, causing the wiper compartment
to fill with rainwater and start draining into the air conditioner. Tilley recommends that the drains be fully disassembled to ensure that all plastic scraps (as well as leaves and other debris) have been cleared.

Page 618
WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR COVER: Under the grille, Jaguar provided a cover over the wiper motor to keep the rain off. If you’re wondering where your original cover went, you need to read about water leaking in through the A/C system on page 466. This plastic part does not hold up in sunlight.

I'll let you know what I find. Thanks all.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Default Done!

Drains next to the wiper motor were plugged. Therefore, water would flow over into the air intake for the HVAC blower and it was then directed all over the footwells. In addition, there were two seals (wiring harness and a sensor) with cracks which also allowed water to travel insde.

Time to celebrate!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1993 xj6 blower motor with water

It is likely my problem can be resolved like yours. I took the right side blower motor out and emptied out about a half liter of water which had accumulated. Is it a simple process to remove the parts and clear the drain lines?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

In mime, the two drain tubes and the rubber hoses connecting them were plugged with leaves. How those small leaves got in there is a mystery, but they did the same thing. In a heavy rain, water would accumulate and then overflow the air inlet box.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm not sure about the XJ6 setup but the XJS has two formed rubber drain tubes just a shade larger than 1" connecting to the center area of the firewall. They angle from there to each inner fender well just behind the front wheels. They simply push on and pull off so they are pretty simple to clear. Pour water into them to determine if they are clear.

I also pulled the grill at the base of the windshield to to expose the HVAC outside air intake area (not sure of the correct name). There are four screws holding securing it. I had to remove the wiper arms to allow access to the two screws closest to the windshield. From there, it's simply a matter of cleaning. I also had a potential leak in a few rubber seals in this area so I sealed them with 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (black).

Also, assuming your system is similar to mine, I was able to look deep inside towards each fender an visually inspect the HVAC air intake areas with a flashlight. I wanted to ensure the doors were closing when I had the system in recirculate mode. They were. So now, whenever I am in heavy rain (which rarely happens here) or especially if I choose to use an automated car wash, I place the system is in recirculate mode to close these doors. Hopefully, it might help to minimize the water splashing before it can drain from entering the blower intake.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Quick question since you have had this off...
How does the center Wiper grille come off?
I removed the wiper arms and the two screws, but cannot see what else is holding it.
1995 XJS
Thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM

There are the two screws at the base of the windshield which are hidden by the wiper covers and two additional screws along the engine compartment side. These two are always visible on my vehicle.