XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What happened ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default What happened ??

No one was in car at the time !!! Long story. Went to gas station to fill up before a car club cruise later in the am. Got to house and drove up to our cul de sac to turn around so I would have my side to get the morning paper from the paper box at the bottom of my very, very steep driveway. Car would not go forward in any gear and could not figure that out there, but it would go in rear drive ?? So I backed the car up to our cull de sac and back to my drive way so I could back up the drive way into my garage and on the lift. As I got up about 20 feet on the drive way, smoke, steam, water coming out of the hood. Got out, unlatched the hood but too hot to lift. Got a towel out of the trunk, lifter the hood and the engine was on fire !!! Back to the trunk for the fire extinguisher after I got my dog out of the car and put the fire out before it could get to the fuel rails and the full tank of gas !! What a mess. Went inside and called insurance company and advised them I was planning to pull the car up to the garage as it was blocking the driveway.
They agreed so I took a bunch of photos and got my trusty V8 Chevy Silverado and put on the appropriate tow bar on my hitch to tow the car up the driveway with my truck. Got out of the truck to turn the Jag wheel to get around a slight curve in the drive way, then back in the truck applied brakes and released the emergency parking brake and put the truck in drive and was pulled back immediately as ALL brakes failed in the truck ?? Jag hit this tree on the drive way and I threw the truck in park to stop it just before it hit the back of the Jag. Got out of the truck and took some more pictures then back in the house to advise the insurance company of what happened !! Hell of a way to trash a great Jag !!
Lessons Learned. Don’t let it happen again !!
Ken in WV

What happened ??-img_1890.jpg

What happened ??-20170513_083955.jpg

What happened ??-img_1871.jpg

What happened ??-img_1892.jpg

Old 05-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Geeez, sorry to see this. That's what I call 'having a bad day', for sure.

Looks like the hot spot of the fire might've been the wiring harness that's ties to the diagonal engine bay brace?

What happened to the brakes on the truck?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ken:

Wow, my heartfelt condolences. Two fold disaster. The only redeeming feature is that no one got hurt.

Might your insurer be Farmers ? Their TV adds show their apparent CEO depicting unusual events that were covered claims.

I think yours qualify.

Way back in my 50 year career insurance claims, a trade publication featured the "odd ones". You qualify, no doubt about it.

Tis what it is, make the best of it...

Carl

Old 05-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Sorry to see this.

Maybe an opportunity to buy a top notch one that requires no work.

Good luck whatever happens.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Deepest Sympathies Bro.

Was really sorry to hear that and am gutted for you, especially with both Vehicles going 'TU' the same day!

No doubt that pesky Tree, will be coming down soon.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Actually the tree probably saved the car from going into the creek across the street !!
Don't know what happened to the truck's brakes yet. Waiting for the claims officer to see if they have any questions !!

Ken in WV

Old 05-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Make plans to start taking the parts you want from the car...

Make yourself a list.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

In my POV, premature. Get the insurance money, fix the Jaguar.

Carl

Old 05-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Well, I first thought it was the master cylinder on the truck but this morning, a large pool of brake fluid by the right front wheel. Further evaluation revealed a rusted and broken brake line !!! Replaced and bled the brakes, now OK. The emergency brake did not fail, I just did not push it hard enough to stop the weight going backwards and the length of the chain helped to get the car into the tree. I will wait for the claims officer but I am certain they will total the car as it was only insured for 16k. In retrospect, it should have been around 20k but I really only have about 13 in it. I will ask if I can keep it or pay a small sum to buy it out. I use American Collectors Insurance, an arm of USAA which I have used for some 54 years. I am not wanting to spend the time time or effort over a year or so to get it back in shape. I still have the XKR and that will be good for a while as soon as I get the gas tank out and change the fuel pumps. Have to pump out the full tank first !!
Ken in WV

Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

I'm betting on it being totaled.

Engine fire AND body damage?

Start making a list of the parts and pieces you want from it now. It will help when they tell you that you cannot keep the car.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

no trying to be morbid or overly enthusiastic but I'd be interested in the quad headlight plastic chromed pieces.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

If you keep it and part it out
I'd be interested in rear bumper,spoiler,and side skirts.

Wayne

Old 05-17-2017, 06:54 PM

Wayne,

I have many, many parts from other 89xjs parts cars including one that has a full body on my parking deck. What are the parts you need and I will let you know what I have. I am hoping that the insurance company will opt to rebuild. If not, I will buy it from them and decide how to part it out. Won't know that car for a while, but have many, many reserve parts.
Ken in WV you can also reach me at kenatofc@gmail.com