XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

wiper motor re-install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default wiper motor re-install

Hello All,

After far too long of an absence I am back engaged with my kitty.

When we last left off I was having an issue with my speedo and tach, along with a few other hiccups. I am hopeful that those are now remedied and once I get everything re-assembled all will be well. The first thing to get re-assembled is the wiper motors.

Can anyone provide a diagram of how it is supposed to all fit in? It's been so long I forgot and stupidly did not take pictures or make notes when I took it apart.

My car is an '87 coupe. Thanks,

BFH

Old 06-08-2018, 03:38 PM

I found a picture on the Jag Lovers forum. Should not be an issue now. But I've said that before.

After that I put the instrument cluster back in followed by removing all the anti-smog plumbing and replacing it with the pipe inlet plugs and the Idler assembly I got from England last winter. Should clean up the engine aesthetics a bit.

BTW.... I have nearly eliminated the fuel odor in my trunk. Turns out the locking ring on the sending unit wasn't seated as tightly as it possibly could have been. There was another 2-3/16" movement left to go. Once I seated it fully using a flat head screw driver and a hammer the odor level dropped dramatically. I attribute the majority of the odor to being impregnated in the rubber foam padding. I could wash it but I am not going thru the hassle of getting the tank out again.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Brad

Here are some Pics of the Windscreen Wiper Assembly, which I had to take out and then put back on my 1990 XJS V12 'Cherry Blossom'

Jaguar made this dead easy to do, as there are only 4 bolts holding the whole assembly in, so I also put new Tubes in, while I was about it

I'll put a Link up anyway, as it might help someone else who may be thinking of taking their Windscreen Wipers out, which is a 'Walk in the Park'

Removing the Windscreen Wipers on 'Cherry Blossom' on Page:9 of my 'Cherry Blossom' restoration thread and here is a link to that page: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-122634/page9/

The following users liked this post:
BradsCat (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 08:07 PM

I got the entire assembly put back together today after giving the grill and mesh a freshened coat of spray paint.

Talk about over engineered. The wiper motor assembly has over 45 separate parts. Cookoo cookoo.

Unfortunately my effort did not result in the wiper working.

Have to assume it is the column switch so its on to alternate plan B.

One interesting thing. When I was putting one of the coiled arms put in thru its tube down to the drive gear it would only go so far before stopping. I then took the two retaining nuts off the drive gear assembly and noticed a small ball bearing about 3mm in diameter, about the size of a BB, lodged against the gear. I took the other one apart then to see where it was supposed to go. Oddly there was no ball bearing on that one. Another Jaguar mystery.

PS...I was careful not to over tighten those nuts and it appeared that to do so would impinge the coil arm to rotate freely.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:34 PM

Back to the drawing board. took the wiper switch out today. position indicators are all definite. Sprayed a little lubricant into the unit and on the contacts. Still no wiper motor action.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Received 174 Likes on 126 Posts

Have you put voltage on the wiper motor to see if it's the problem or not?

Unless I'm not reading carefully, I don't see if you've narrowed the problem down to a bad motor or not.

I had to rebuild my wiper motor. That *fix* lasted about 4 years, then it finally gave out so I had to rig-up a replacement motor.

Thanks,

John

The following users liked this post:
BradsCat (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 PM

I bought a replacement motor last winter so am reasonably sure that's not the issue. A voltage tester is next on my list of things to work thru. I know, I should have started there in the first place. I am fairly confident that it will be a relatively minor item once I figure it out. It seems that it usually is. What is so frustrating is that I was soooooo close to having everything working last summer and then it went goof ball on me again.

It does run beautifully though and looks fantastic. That's what keeps drawing me back in and keeps me from throwing in the towel.