XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wipers and heater

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wipers and heater

I found out on my 86 xjs that I have no wipers or heater.. again thanks for your help.. I checked the fuse's all check ok.. I'm new guy to Jags love the car how do I get to the wiper motor or is there a relay or heater relay.. took off the grill no success I guess the same with the heater no action there at all any ideas.. Thanks again for your time

Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

There is a wiper 'delay relay'. It's blue, located in the panel below the glove box on a RHD car. I can't remember if it controls just the 'delay' function, or if the entire circuit will become inoperative if the relay fails. I think it's more of a timer than anything else. Others will chime in.

Failure of the column switch is common, though.

The wiper motor is below the air intake grille at the base of the windshield.

As for the heater, could you give some more details? Does the system otherwise seem functional but simply never gives heat? If so, suspect the heater valve....located behind the engine on the firewall. Have a helper turn the temp control from full cold to full hot while you observe the actuator arm on the heater valve. You should actually see it move.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
jkann1 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:19 PM

Thanks.. I tried to pull off the outside grill for the wipers I unhook I think everything but couldn't pull it out... The heat, I will check the valve you mentioned when I turned it on nothing no heat no blower action...

Old 03-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jkann1
Thanks.. I tried to pull off the outside grill for the wipers I unhook I think everything but couldn't pull it out

it's been a few years but I seem to recall that a couple screws are hidden under the stainless steel windshield trim. Or something like that. Others will chime in

... The heat, I will check the valve you mentioned when I turned it on nothing no heat no blower action...
First check the four fuses: two in the main fuse panel, one on the amplifier ground wire behind the console LH 'cheek panel', and one more clipped to the side of the heater case behind the console RH cheek panel. Those last two are on plastic inline fuse holders. Make sure the contact clips for the fuses are corrosion free while you're at it

After checking the fuses operate the system and listen for a faint whirring noise from the dash when you adjust the temp control knob. No whir = more problems than just the possibility of a faulty heater valve

Cheers
DD

jkann1 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 PM

Hi,Doug... two in the main fuse panel, one on the amplifier ground wire behind the console LH 'cheek panel', and one more clipped to the side of the heater case behind the console RH cheek panel...you say behind the console RH (right hand side) a cheek panel how does it come off... Thanks for your time

Old 03-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

The cheek panels are easy to remove.

Remove the two screws that hold on the small heater vent/outlet. Now wriggle to panel forward and slightly downward. That's it.

Reinstallation can drive you to drink if you're having an unlucky day. Sometimes finding the holes to reinstall the vent screws can be frustrating. Next time they might find their way into the holes on the first try.

Cheers
DD

jkann1 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Does an XJ6 use the same wiper motor s the XJS?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BradsCat
Does an XJ6 use the same wiper motor s the XJS?

Nope!

Cheers
DD